Author Topic: NEW BLOKE.  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
NEW BLOKE.
« on: June 04, 2012, 10:21:56 am »
G,day to everyone. I have been lurking around here for the last couple of years and finally found the time to officially join up. Being old my history starts with DT1's and racing at Moorebank,Arcadia,Amaroo Park,Bilpin,Mt Kembla. I found out I was more talented fixing them than racing them though. Back then we didn't have any money ,we all needed more power,so I decided to make expansion chambers.

I decided the best design was to copy,so my pipes had Husky dimensions with AJS  Stormer header pipe turned up through the centre of down tubes. To change the power band the stinger pipe was connected to the chamber via steel conduit unions. Believe it or not they worked. Well they made a lot of noise. I got a lot of lookers,but the only customers were my so called mates,and they came into their own racing at Amaroo on the tar.
Trail riding was the next go and a series of DT250A's and DT 400E,finally XR's, initially a 350 D. This I still have,it's very innovative as it has drum brakes which enable you to pass people into corners. They don't work very well,also have my sons XR 250,and I bought a XR 400.

Now to come out of the closet. I LOVE BULTACOS. They caught my eye years ago when some mates had Matadors and Pursangs. Two years ago I bought two MK 5 Matadors in bits, one has been a total resto and the other will happen. Also nearly finished a MK 2 El Montadero,and soon will start with a M23 Metralla which I imported from America early this year. I have an Alpina rolling wreck as well.

On the wish list is a Bandido,a Gold Medal Frontera and maybe a Sherpa T. I could probally add an early Pursang but my wife turned up at our work shop the other day,it all got a bit difficult. Why ? We are not a bike business.

From my point of view: Back in the day the Spanish (Bultaco in big numbers)were the only one's making competion standard bikes in all disciplines that were available over the counter. MX,Trials,Roadracing,Trail and roadbikes.

So in closing every village has an idiot and I belong to mine. Hope I can contribute to the site,If any one needs a Bully wiring diagram that you can understand  I have my own design which you can easily read, send me an email.
REGARDS  MARTIN
Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: NEW BLOKE.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:32:52 am »
Good on ya,Martin.I love Bultacos' too.p
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:37:53 am »
Welcome aboard Matador, I reckon there'd be plenty of Bully punters on here just waiting for your wiring diagram. Anything to simplify the resto process is a good thing ;D.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 11:41:13 am »
welcome Matador.Only riden Mt Kembla once,feck thats a good drop off.!!
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 01:56:58 pm »
G'day Matador and welcome I too am a Bultaco man. I will keep an eye for you on the forum. Enjoy! Cheers Jerry

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 06:23:14 pm »
 G'day  Mat" probably met 'round Moorebank ,Arcadia etc, rode at Wollongong one meeting prior to the big dropoff being put into service.
 I got vertigo just looking at it!.welcome
 cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 05:06:27 pm »
Thanks for all the welcomes,I recognise the names after reading the site for the nlast few years. Will have to stumble through the post a picture deal like all the others. Now Mr Firko, those DT1's of yours are something else especially those flat trackers etc,etc. You must have a seriously big shed. My stupid question to you on behalf of a mate with a DT1 is how to disassemble the forks with the steel fork legs.

His DT1 has been hanging on a wall in his workshop for about 25 years(it was given to him by another mate). It's down and in bits ready for the rebuild,sandblast frame, repaint tank etc. He has purchased some new parts from the USA. Soon the rebuild will commence but he can't see how to disassemble the forks to replace seals etc. I told him you would be the go to man. MARTIN
Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.