Author Topic: Freak Yamaha tracker  (Read 7053 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Freak Yamaha tracker
« on: June 03, 2012, 01:22:19 pm »
Hey Freaky is this bike yours? I found it in the archives from back in '07 where you talk about not wanting to ride it for fear of scratching the paint. If it is yours it's indeed a sweet Boss YZ250. Why not start racing it? I can't believe that you race your MX tackle on dirt track yet leave your trackers in the shed ??? ???. I know the old chestnut that these bikes don't suit our tracks but I reckon that only matters if you're at the pointy end of the race. Both of my short trackers will be at this years DT Nats barring any more health problems.
Whatever, it's definitely raised the bar  for my DT1 trackers resto.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:26:04 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Freak Yamaha tracker
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 05:26:28 pm »
Is that an extra gear lever on the RH side?

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 05:27:49 pm »
Yep....pretty common with the Yanks.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 05:48:11 pm »
 Thats where the bloody thing should be!!
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 06:15:49 pm »
Man that is nice. I have heard that they don't suit our tracks as you mention, but what ARE they like to ride? I'd love to try one sometime, maybe I could convince the boss to let me buy one next year. I might race the DT Nats this year but if so it'll be on my ratty 80 RM250 with no more than a trials tyre on the back.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 06:58:57 pm »
Yep YZA is mine, But dont tell every one.  Was going to put in the VMX mag just have to sort somthing out with AjAy and tell the whole story there. if there is enough intrest ill put it back on the table for whenever he wants to do it.

Its EX PAt siegle bike, PRo Am #51q.  bike road mostly 1/4 or 1/2 mile, salina, Ascot so on, pipe on it is ex Steve Ekland.

Issue here is 2 fold, there really really light on our track and the problem is if there not on a speedway style oval track the wheels always off the ground. Other issue is that this one is all hand pinstriped, completey restored not even got fluid i the new brake lines, so not keen on forking it up chasing a$5 plastic trophy. i got a few other trackers that im planning to bring out again for the NAts this year probally the champion for a fling in the PRe 75 and the track master for the pre 70. not figured out if i put the 250 or 360 in them but decide that after come back from the MX nats.

The boss frame is a shit load better than the champion and the rest for that mater.  Better balance and construction, just sit on them and you can tell that, still talk to Carlo lucia in fact his BMX bikes from the 80's are now rare and $$$$.    The boss racer has done a few static displays and won tropies at that so thats probally what it will continue to do if i can find any.

Anyway the champion i have rode with the 360A in it and it was funky on the front end, needs more weight up that end to track propally, but the 360motors in the YZA at the moment so kinda lothed to take it back out, but i will bring it to canberra even if its with the 250cc in it and as you say make up the numbers.   

I need to sell some of these mxA and TM's so i can make some room, and get off may arse and put the flattrackers back on the track and get serious, your right there really sexy bikes and im kinda heading down that track now interested in riding for satisfaction and enjoyment than chasing trophys.  Today i was at the speedway track on the 2 valve, it rained, covered head to toe in SHit but boy did we have a great time on the old girls chasing each other around.      I got others we can play on so will make sure you get to see them at the NAts... ok hope ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:14:18 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 07:13:53 pm »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 07:23:44 pm »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 07:26:57 pm »
Seeing that I'm unfortunately now missing the Queensland Vintage Motocross Nats I'll speed up the preparation process on my two trackers for the DT Nats, the Hindall RT1 for pre 70 and the little Unknown for pre 75. I call it the Unknown because I still don't know who built the frame.

I may put the RT2MX engine in the little bike and my trick methanol piston port engine in the Hindall for either 250 or 500 classes, most probably 250 because the pre 70 500 class will have Glen Evans and Jonesy on their big methanol Metisses...a bit out of my league.

I've just got my Champion tank back from Matcho Mick who's coated the inside to be methanol proof (not the tank shown in the photo). I'm prepping it and the seat to paint it candy apple red and hope to soon have my friend Yamaico make a new down pipe. I've got a new set of Inter-Am bars and lots of shiny and go fast stuff. I'm really looking forward to riding this little gem myself.

The Hindall's being fitted with a set of billet adjustable offset triple clamps with wide spacing to allow for a new Maxxis front tyre. It's also getting a shorter set of Betors. Both bikes will have front brakes for DT. Don't worry about the paint job Freaky, if we all worried about stuff like that hardly any of our resto's would get ridden. I'm putting some schmicko paint on my little tracker too but if it gets damaged I can always paint it again. These bikes are built to race.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:32:21 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 04:45:00 am »
i will have my gen champion pre75 cr250 if i get my tank in time
jim

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 10:47:09 am »
i can lend you a chmpion tank for the meating if your stuck.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 10:53:34 am »

i can lend you a chmpion tank for the meating if your stuck.
same here ;D

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 11:15:05 am »
oops sorry meant 'meeting'.........  firko you can do the meating or EML heard he is into that :)
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 11:17:58 am »
I just took it as another example of your unique grasp on spelling Freaky ;D. I think Jim's had enough 'meating' lately.

Here's a decent buy on vft.org this morning....The mounts look to suit the MX 250/360/SC500 engine.

CHAMPION FRAME FOR YAMAHA 360. INCLUDES SWINGARM, SHOCKS, TANK,SEAT, BETOR 35MM TRIPLE CLAMPS.
PERRYSBURG OH NEAR TOLEDO. CAN DELIVER TO WAUSEON
$875
CALL 419-466-7444 BILL HERRING PERRYSBURG OH NEAR TOLEDO.CAN DELIVER TO WAUSEON
June 3
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:26:47 am by firko »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 01:39:08 pm »
Man that is nice. I have heard that they don't suit our tracks as you mention, but what ARE they like to ride? I'd love to try one sometime, maybe I could convince the boss to let me buy one next year. I might race the DT Nats this year but if so it'll be on my ratty 80 RM250 with no more than a trials tyre on the back.
been thinking about this and i reckon they would be ok around your eastern tracks like fairburn, raymond etc but id be going for the 4 stroke.  I reckon the weight would help the handling level out and they would pull like a train on a light frame. 

I really want to see Grassy new bus on the track as if anyone can get one to work around here he could.  4 stroke champion would be the Duck nuts at Griffith.  SO in short yes they will work on some of the better tracks but i would stick to the XL or rotax engines until you get them matched up to a track and build from there.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's