Author Topic: i thought id seen this before  (Read 3347 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 03:37:42 pm by paul »

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: i thought id seen this before
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 03:58:43 pm »
Cheap even if you imported it
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

maico police

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 03:59:49 pm »
Didn't a guy off here build that? :-[

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:04:31 pm »
Am I missing something? So he imported his Maico from the USA, so what? ??? It's just one of hundreds of bikes imported from the USA over the last couple of years so why make a big deal over it? ::)
 As Slakewell said, it was a good deal, I'd have bought it myself for that money.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 07:19:57 pm »
the ads from 2009 just saying ive seen it before

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 07:31:48 pm »
Yes saw that maico at last years Classic Dirt...
Didnt ol mate have his race pants knocked off on the sat nite during the quiz....

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 01:34:40 pm »
Very Cool Bike!! I wish that the Exchange rates then was like it was a few months ago. I spent the same again on getting Eric Cook of Maico Only US to finish her off. When I got it here in Australia I had to redo a few things and spend a lot more money on the exhaust repair and ceramic coatings, Carby rebuilds and mods on the Flatslide and a Bing, Numerous small parts like all stainless steel nuts and bolts, shift lever alloy, replace new leaking gaskets, new silencer, cables, front and rear carb boots, Race Base Billett Carb Intake, Carbon Fibre Brakes front and rear, new front billet extended brake arm, Race Base Shock and chain guard, Ohlin fork protectors, Stainless Steel Auto Decomp and it goes on.

I believe it is one of best investments, not for monetary gain, but a personal investment in myself. i hope that the Suzuki RH turns out as good or better.

Love or Lust, it's always a Maico

Kevin
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 05:36:32 pm »
I spent the same again on getting Eric Cook of Maico Only US to finish her off. When I got it here in Australia I had to redo a few things and spend a lot more money on the exhaust repair and ceramic coatings, Carby rebuilds and mods on the Flatslide and a Bing, Numerous small parts like all stainless steel nuts and bolts, shift lever alloy, replace new leaking gaskets, new silencer, cables, front and rear carb boots, Race Base Billett Carb Intake, Carbon Fibre Brakes front and rear, new front billet extended brake arm, Race Base Shock and chain guard, Ohlin fork protectors, Stainless Steel Auto Decomp and it goes on. 
I thought Eric Cook was supposed to be a Maico guru..

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 05:31:34 pm »
I spent the same again on getting Eric Cook of Maico Only US to finish her off. When I got it here in Australia I had to redo a few things and spend a lot more money on the exhaust repair and ceramic coatings, Carby rebuilds and mods on the Flatslide and a Bing, Numerous small parts like all stainless steel nuts and bolts, shift lever alloy, replace new leaking gaskets, new silencer, cables, front and rear carb boots, Race Base Billett Carb Intake, Carbon Fibre Brakes front and rear, new front billet extended brake arm, Race Base Shock and chain guard, Ohlin fork protectors, Stainless Steel Auto Decomp and it goes on. 
I thought Eric Cook was supposed to be a Maico guru..

John,
        I was supprised as well with his reputation and his history with Maico. I found the cylinder clearance from the piston was under 2 thou and the hone job only went from top of cylinder down to about 3/4 of the way down the bore. The ports had to be re-bevelled, you could cut a finger rubbing over them. The Piston did have holes drilled for lubrication of the exhaust bridge.

I suppose you should not take things as done properly, check and re-check. Re-honed the full bore to 3 thou clearance and bevelled all ports properly. I had Tony Bogart go over the bike for tuning to find a few air leaks from carbie intake and very surprisingly the de-comp valve. I know now from recent experiences, if you can't do it yourself, learn to do it yourself, if you still can't, get a reputable person or company to do it for you and then double check their work.

Kevin.
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive