Author Topic: Gasket Goo. Do you use it? If so, what is the best one?  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
Gasket Goo. Do you use it? If so, what is the best one?
« on: May 28, 2012, 07:02:06 pm »
Hi Guys,
Back in the day I never used gasket goo. I just smeared oil all over the gasket and put it in, with no problems.
Late last year my RZ sucked in the base gasket and a mate of mine told me I should be using gasket goo, so I did. 4 race meetings later and it has sucked another one in (a genuine NOS one) in another area. I am also having issues with the head gasket on my RE after using this stuff, but that could be from other causes.

What is the go here? ???

Do you guys use it? If so what is the best to use?
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
Re: Gasket Goo. Do you use it? If so, what is the best one?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 07:08:32 pm »
I dont use gasket goo on new gaskets, only where no gaskets are there, but never had the suck in probs
may be a HONDA thing :D
But i use the grey lock tight :o stuff ............

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 07:40:33 pm »
The '78/'79 cr had a problem with the crankcase warping at the base gasket surface, they fixed the problem on the '80 model. One way to fix it is by punching little indentations on the surface of the case with a centre punch for the gasket to grip to. I only use gasket goo on cases where there is no gasket using Wurths or Threebond sealer.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 09:38:05 pm »
permatex aviation cement non hardening
on base gaskets
spray head gaskets with copper coat if you dont have that use paint
threebond grey for crancase halves
never had a problem ;)
follow me to first turn

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 05:10:13 am »
Make sure the nuts you use don't have serration's on the underside and use hardened washers.

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 06:12:08 am »
The '78/'79 cr had a problem with the crankcase warping at the base gasket surface, they fixed the problem on the '80 model. One way to fix it is by punching little indentations on the surface of the case with a centre punch for the gasket to grip to. I only use gasket goo on cases where there is no gasket using Wurths or Threebond sealer.

Great tip Johnny O. Thanks.

Make sure the nuts you use don't have serration's on the underside and use hardened washers.

Ahaa, now we might be getting somewhere. I think the nuts do have serrations and there were no washers. They did seem to come off easy.
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 08:27:50 pm »
Hi, I was having the same problem on my 490k, so bought some gasket material--actually bought two thicknesses for some reason [had a theory] think 0.6 [24thou] & 1.2 [48thou], pretty sure i used the 1.2 & cut it a bit overlapping so when compressed it had no chance of sucking in due to slight step up to the visible bit. I'm sure 0.6 would do the same if left overlapping [looks a bit unprofessional but anyway]. Have a YZ465H in an IT250K frame & did same trick to that--still working. Thanks. ps, so far as goo goes, sounds stingy [I am!!] have had some good stuff from the $2 shop but can't find it now--was grey coloured stuff & smelt strong, left to go off a bit & was good. Very similar to what we used back about 30 years plus which was 'pliobond glue', smelt strong but once set could still be compressed when cases clamped up. Suppose the 'plio' bit meant it remained pliable but could cover some quite bad imperfections & get away with it [in desperation], the old "Fix it but dooon't spend any money" trick. Thanks.