Author Topic: Yamaha DT175A - Flywheel points cam damaged, repairable or replaceable?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline tdpomodoro

• Novice
    • View Profile
All,

After pulling the flywheel off on the weekend I found that the points cam was terribly corroded - it slips over the shaft of the flywheel and is circliped in place. It mechanically advances/retards timing based on rpm.

The pictures below show the extent of the damage, it looks like the cam is scarred from mechanical damage but it seems to be the electroplating coming off in shards. The bike's crankcase took on water when it was in storage. Using it the way it is would wear out the graphite shoe on the points in pretty short order.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone had any luck repairing this?
2) Does anyone know where to pickup this part separately - i've only ever seen it for sale as part of a flywheel assembly.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
put another one on if your worrried. there would be millions out there
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
I think I may have one of them. I will look in an hour or two when I get home. Where a bouts on the planet do you live?
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline tdpomodoro

• Novice
    • View Profile
I think I may have one of them. I will look in an hour or two when I get home. Where a bouts on the planet do you live?

Mick-DE, that would be awesome - I live in New South Wales, Australia.

Freakshow, trying to find one is proving difficult since people are only willing to sell them as part of the flywheel which is understandable.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Hi mate, big day, home late. I just found the engine,

but obviously I have already removed the ignition, but I know I know it is still floating around here somewhere. I will find it tomorrow and if it is any good you can have it. It should be alright. The rust on the crank obviously came after I removed the ignition because I was too slack to stop it from getting wet, etc.

Offline tdpomodoro

• Novice
    • View Profile
Hi mate, big day, home late. I just found the engine,

but obviously I have already removed the ignition, but I know I know it is still floating around here somewhere. I will find it tomorrow and if it is any good you can have it. It should be alright. The rust on the crank obviously came after I removed the ignition because I was too slack to stop it from getting wet, etc.

Mick-DE, that would be awesome - much appreciated!

As luck would have it, would you believe that I live in Carrington. I caught a glimpse of your profile saying you hail from Newcastle.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Well if there ever is going to be anything bigger than Texas. Actually finding this sucker was it :-\

Massive mental note to self; Never promise anything again without finding it first ::)

Yes found it.

Offline tdpomodoro

• Novice
    • View Profile
Mick-DE,

Amazing! I am so stoked!

Many, many thanks!