Author Topic: Replicas  (Read 5682 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Replicas
« on: May 15, 2012, 02:45:40 am »
I'm addicted to Replicas.  ;D

I spend most of my play money on trick parts and bits to build up bikes into "replicas" (Moto-X Fox bikes, Team DG, etc).  Simons forks, Fox Air Shox, Fox Factory stuff, Mugen parts, KYB pro-line forks and now shocks.  Sometimes I find myself bidding on parts to build bikes I don't even have yet (Fox Air Mono-shock for '79 YZ).

Do you prefer stock rebuilds, "racestorations", or trick replicas?
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Replicas
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:34:30 am »
Bonjour mon ami
I also have the sickness real bad- I have big quantities of spares for multiple bikes that I have yet to acquire.

Gets very expensive- earlier  today I bought three 1981/ q1982 Cr 250 honda's - all for a water pump case cover, front hub and forks.

Need to slow down - far toooo many bikes
Old and slow - and happy

Simo63

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:06:01 am »
Sometimes I find myself bidding on parts to build bikes I don't even have yet (Fox Air Mono-shock for '79 YZ).

Hi T-Red

I prefer factory stockers to replicas but that's probably because they are the bikes that resonate with me.  I never was one to drool over unobtanium preferring to focus on what achievable and obtainable.

Just on the line I have quoted above, this might be a complete coincience, however did you happen to buy that 79 YZ Fox monoshock that finished on US Ebay a few days ago?

Cheers
Craig

maico police

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:42:57 am »
"Racetorations". What a great word.  :)
Yep that's my bikes. I doubt the "trick" stuff makes anyone that trick. Good suspension, a ridable motor, good tyres and smooth controls. More horsepower is just a waste of money on a motocross bike.

Yeah Fox air-shocks do look cool.......

Tony T

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 09:01:42 am »

I love 'em all!  ;D

Just as long as it doesn't have a fat pipe, weird coloured wheels or wavy discs...........  :-X

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 09:28:49 am »
Tony is bikes or women ???
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 09:37:05 am »
Sometimes I find myself bidding on parts to build bikes I don't even have yet (Fox Air Mono-shock for '79 YZ).

Hi T-Red

I prefer factory stockers to replicas but that's probably because they are the bikes that resonate with me.  I never was one to drool over unobtanium preferring to focus on what achievable and obtainable.

Just on the line I have quoted above, this might be a complete coincience, however did you happen to buy that 79 YZ Fox monoshock that finished on US Ebay a few days ago?

Cheers
Craig

Simo,

I did not, but I've bid on a few and didn't win them.  The last one I missed bidding on went for only $215 (damn it!).  I have a set of KYB Pro-Line forks and had visions of a John Savitski Team DG YZ250.

;D
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 09:39:44 am »
"Racetorations". What a great word.  :)
Yep that's my bikes. I doubt the "trick" stuff makes anyone that trick. Good suspension, a ridable motor, good tyres and smooth controls. More horsepower is just a waste of money on a motocross bike.

Yeah Fox air-shocks do look cool.......

Kind of sad, but when I put all those exotic parts on them they very rarely see the track again.  At that point I really should sell them, but you know how that goes.

;D
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 09:16:49 pm »
I'm addicted to Replicas.  ;D

I spend most of my play money on trick parts and bits to build up bikes into "replicas" (Moto-X Fox bikes, Team DG, etc).  Simons forks, Fox Air Shox, Fox Factory stuff, Mugen parts, KYB pro-line forks and now shocks.  Sometimes I find myself bidding on parts to build bikes I don't even have yet (Fox Air Mono-shock for '79 YZ).

Yes mate i hear ya! Its a bloody sickness !
I see a part, and think ill buy that becuase i might end up with a bike to suit it oneday! The mrs would shoot me if she got into my ebay account.

i like them all tho. I like stock resto's, original survivors and trick replicas.

The other night after a few too many beers there was a set of NOS DG yellow octopus grips on ebay US, i decided i needed them for my 76 dg racer and bid 200usd.. yep 200usd.. and i got outbid! on a set of bloody grips! Im glad i did, as i was thinking a bit more clearly te next day and realised how silly that is!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 10:22:48 pm »
I hear ya all....I have a piston and ring to suit a YZ360A.......just need the rest of the bike....bloody things usually find me eventually.....I like replicka's and stockies....I've come to the conclusion that you can never have enough bikes.....no, I'm not an addict....am I?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 10:54:41 pm »
When I was young I used to drool over pictures of those exotic works bikes, the incredibly trick magazine project bikes and the ads in the back of the American magazines offering all sorts of amazing gizmo's to make your motocross bike faster/lighter/better handling/prettier. However being a poor apprentice from working class roots I could never afford a C&J or Harry Hindall frame, a set of Arnaco shocks or even a humble Webco head. Instead I plodded along tricking up my bikes using magazine 'how-to' articles to produce my own frame lowering kits for DT1's, LTR frame conversions for older Maicos and my own custom made alloy parts made at work (usually foreign orders) such my own alloy finned Koni bodies copied from a Poppy body I borrowed from a bloke in my club.

Now that I'm in my sunset years and comparitively cashed up (compared to my young days at least ::)) I can afford to build some of those bikes that I drooled over 40 years ago. I remember panting over the Dirtbike Magazine Project Bighorn in 1972 and now I actually own that very bike...(or at least the frame and tank). My Hindalls, Boyd and Stellings TM400, hot rod DT1's and other weird and wacky Frankenbikes are the machines I wished I could have built in 1974. I truly understand that many folks just don't get the hot rod bike concept but quite frankly I don't particularly care. I build my bikes purely to satisfy my own passion and if one other person likes what I do, that's too cool. If they don't get it, no problem either, I like 'em and that's all that matters in the end ;).

I also like stock restorations and have done a number over the years. Two of my resto's are on display at the Nabiac Museum and Yamaha used my DT1 for their motor show displays during their 50th anniversary year so I'm not just a 'gas axe and hacksaw merchant' as one forum member kindly described me a couple of years ago ;D. Unless something really special comes along I can no longer see myself doing any more pure resto's though. These days I haven't got the patience and single minded dedication needed to do a proper 10 point restoration. Specials are so much easier to me.

There's room for all kinds of bikes in our sport. It's fantastic to see proper restorations so we can remember exactly how the bikes were and on the other side the inner hot rodder within me is stoked to see a well tricked up period race bikes and well set up race bikes that employ a little bit of both philosophies. Vive, le differance' I say!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:59:07 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 10:11:23 am »
A bit off the original topic, but just read this post and then had a look at Marks and look whats on there  ;)

http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/largephoto.cgi?C=mTvR7sNh8HBhuvGz

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 11:27:55 am »
Temptation, temptation, temptation.  ;D
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 11:49:37 am »
Randy Bell from Pleasantville, OH

That paints a picture!!
The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 02:30:44 pm »
trickier the better, I started out on gateway substances like Fox Shox and Simons forks, next minute I was snorting up Fox forks and finally I was on the black tar heroin of trick parts, Simons UDX forks, RN500 gas tanks, I was like a man who had lost all reason..... but I was not as financially out of control as the NOS parts fanatics.
formerly Marc.com