Author Topic: One jump and fast flowing~1976 AMA.  (Read 4413 times)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: One jump and fast flowing~1976 AMA.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 03:16:17 pm »
Cool vid....was that Jim Pommeroy on 102 the Honda John?
Yeah mate that's Pomeroy. Interesting to see Rocket Rex on the factory Harley running around 5th right behind Tony D...OK i've got a soft spot for the Harleys :)
See how rough the track is for 1977!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 04:45:14 pm »
even raced there a couple of times, but on the shorter Shadow Glen track.
Ooops...My fuddled old brain's getting worse. I was out in the shed working on my Cheney and thinking of those days in the US when it flashed into my head that the Shadow Glen course was at Indian Dunes not Saddleback. There was a shorter course at Saddleback too but I can't remember what it was called.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFNjgj9ap9I
My favourite track from the California days was Corona Raceway. I've still got my finishers pin from the 1977 Pumpkin GP held over 20 laps on the full 7 mile track every Halloween. It was a real party event with some riders competing in costume and plenty of partying. I rode a Husky Auto that year and finished and a 360 Monty the following year but DNF'd with heat exhaustion. The event was sort of a cross between motocross and desert racing with a bit of flat track thrown in. It was "Rocket" Rex Staten's home track.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 10:13:26 pm »
Thing I noticed most was the vast refinement and improvement of the bikes in just the one year '76 to '77! Still love the look of the '76 Kawasaki works bike.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 05:52:55 pm »
Thing I noticed most was the vast refinement and improvement of the bikes in just the one year '76 to '77! Still love the look of the '76 Kawasaki works bike.

Ask a Honda rider about those years  ;D ;D ;D

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 10:16:32 pm »
My favourite track from the California days was Corona Raceway.

I spent 8 weeks in Corona, I still remember some Yanks asking where we were staying and looking at us in horror while replying “What, you traveled half way round the world to stay in Corona!!!”

It did have the benefit of having a MX / SX every Friday night. Gordon Ward was one local who had the track sussed and would win every night. Knowing the track was super important as the lights were almost non existent with some parts in complete darkness.
Leisky tried it one night, it was one of the few times when Leisky got beaten. His survival instinct saw that he never tried it again.

57 - Dave Hammond
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

mainline

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 04:24:21 pm »
My favourite track from the California days was Corona Raceway.

I spent 8 weeks in Corona, I still remember some Yanks asking where we were staying and looking at us in horror while replying “What, you traveled half way round the world to stay in Corona!!!”

It did have the benefit of having a MX / SX every Friday night. Gordon Ward was one local who had the track sussed and would win every night. Knowing the track was super important as the lights were almost non existent with some parts in complete darkness.
Leisky tried it one night, it was one of the few times when Leisky got beaten. His survival instinct saw that he never tried it again.

57 - Dave Hammond

'Flash' Gordon Ward, I've got a Sydney Supercross on VHS with him, JoJo Keller and Steve Martin (the other one) as the visiting American guests. Dack cleaned up I think? Very tight track though. Keller kept getting stuck in the tunnel ;D

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 09:27:46 pm »
'Flash' Gordon Ward, I've got a Sydney Supercross on VHS with him, JoJo Keller and Steve Martin (the other one) as the visiting American guests.

What year would have that been?
When I saw him in 85 he was extraordinary at the night races at Corona but he became a mere mortal at other MX events.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

mainline

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 05:43:06 pm »
I think 86 when Leisk had gone to the US