Author Topic: World trials round Maldon Vic  (Read 11930 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Re: World trials round Maldon Vic
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 08:54:21 pm »

Not losing it, just balancing while preparing for the next obstacle

Then the leap

This wasn't even a section, it was just the trail to the next section!!

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Tony T

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 08:56:47 pm »
Thanks for the pics, Geoffrey.  ;D
I wondered if it would be possible to get good pics around the crowd......... you did!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 08:57:05 pm »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 09:03:42 pm »
Thanks for the pics, Geoffrey.  ;D
I wondered if it would be possible to get good pics around the crowd......... you did!

Thanks Tony, yes it was hard to get aound spectators, trees, shrubs, rocks, officials and minders while looking for a good angle for a photo.
Then there was sunlight to consider.
Took just over 800 shots, still working my way through them.
I like the way some of the sequence shots tell a story.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 09:15:57 pm »
Top pics GMC,did you notice a lot of the bikes had solid rear sprockets,some had sponsors logos all over them & some had fake painted on lightening holes :-\,perhaps solid is less prone to bending on rocks,also most run conventional forks not upside down,less prone to the chrome being damaged by rocks maybe :-\

Tony T

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 09:25:20 pm »
Pardon my ignorance, but do the rules allow for being stationery and even going backwards these days?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 09:35:38 pm »
Jeez I'm disappointed I had to miss this event. We were all set, had a place to stay and all but I went and got sick and had to cancel. Bummer.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 05:56:27 pm »
Main reason for running conventional forks is stiffness, the usd forks twist too much & go through fork seals on a regular basis on trials bikes.
The first manufacturers to change to conventional forks did so in the early 90s with all of them having swapped by about 95, Beta tried usd forks again in 2000 but they were so bad that a ugly afterthought fork brace came out during the year to stop the twisting, next year was back to conventionals

Current rules allow stationary balancing but not riding backwards, not 100% sure if at world level hopping either wheel sideways while stationary is legal at the moment

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 08:46:47 pm »
I was a bit ignorant of the rules too Tony, last I heard stopping was banned.
It seems that stopping and bouncing to turn is now in but they have a 90 second limit in which to complete each section.
Interesting to hear the minders yelling out the time as the rider goes through the section, they get real hyper near the end of a difficult section when time is tight.

Tony T

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 09:03:13 pm »
Thanks for that, GMC.
I was the same in that I thought the stationery/going backwards thing was still out. I've loved the videos I've seen from the event and I'm really sorry I missed it.
A mate of a mate owns land there and I could have camped for free, but had to shoot a wedding instead.  ::)

Offline 2T_vs_4T

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 09:55:39 pm »
An excellent event with all the top guys, even saw Dougie Lampkin there too, he's was wearing a manufactures bib and checking the scores at the end of each section, must have something to do with Gas Gas, after retiring from World Trials before the start of the season. I even got a chance to hold on to Adam Raga's Gas Gas at the start of Section 3 on the final lap on Sunday afternoon, his mechanic ask me to hold it while he checked the tyre pressure so I got James to take a pic for prosperity (he's the son of friend, the five of us drove 18 hours from Brisbane).
1978*AUS*SWM*RS125GS*C*0003*
1978*AUS*SWM*RS175GS*D*0002*
1982 Husqvarna 125 WR
2002 YZ 250P WR.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 10:11:45 pm »
Top pics GMC,did you notice a lot of the bikes had solid rear sprockets,some had sponsors logos all over them & some had fake painted on lightening holes :-\,perhaps solid is less prone to bending on rocks,also most run conventional forks not upside down,less prone to the chrome being damaged by rocks maybe :-\

smed, a few of the sprockets I saw that looked solid were only conventional sprockets with a translucent cover over them. I presume this would be to stop sticks etc getting trapped in the sprocket holes causing a wheel hang-up.
 What an awesome event. It was a feast of people watching in the crowd too - ran into heaps of faces!
 It was also fun watching riders and minders doing sneaky gardening. Some of the minders worked as teams; one to distract the observer and the other to take care of business! The observers had to work closely together to maintain control in the section as plenty of riders/minders were playing the game. :D
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 12:04:42 pm »

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 01:01:43 pm »
Trials can be run to different rules. At present the WTC rules allow stopping and hopping, but their 90 second rule greatly limits the amount of stopping so you don't see much.
Aussie trials can be run to the same rules, or with no time limits, or with stopping not allowed. There is even the ability to run a trial to rules that allows reversing.
Most trials in Australia nowadays are stop-allowed, without a time limit. There are some Aussie twinshock and classic trials that are run to no-stop rules
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 01:28:11 pm »
Some great shots in that lot Tex. :)
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!