Author Topic: KDX400A1 DC plastics set  (Read 2282 times)

IT400C

KDX400A1 DC plastics set
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:04:34 am »
Hi guys,

I just fitted a set of DC plastics (front guard, rear guard & sidecovers) to my 1980 KDX400A1 and just thought I'd let anyone out there that's thinking of buying them how they went.

I have to say I'm very happy with them.  Considering the complexity of the originals, the shape and finish is very good. 

They do have a few minor problems, but nothing insurmountable.  The sidecovers needed a little extra trimming around the rear shocks.  The rear guard needed the sealing lip (up under the seat) trimmed back a bit also.

Both the front and back guards are slightly shorter than the originals too.  But the DC's plastic is a fairly good colour match for the NOS headlight I have on it.  Slightly lighter than NOS, but pretty damn close.

Overall I'm really very happy with them, and considering I'm a fairly anal bastard about how my bikes look, that's a big statement!  I honestly would recommend them to anyone with a twin shock KDX250/400.

A big thanks to Les Richters at VMX Unlimited for the prompt service.

I'll post some photos next weekend. 

Thanks, Tony.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: KDX400A1 DC plastics set
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 10:30:49 am »
You should have come to Rocksberg homo, you could have done some laps on the vinduro track Shultzy and the hampster set out....awesome....cut some laps on my RM125A (number 1 son turned up and commanderred the PE250B).....you wouldnt have been the only KDX400 there either. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

IT400C

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 10:44:24 am »
Thanks gay-boy, but no way was I allowed anywhere outside the house this weekend!

Leaking shower base, so we spent all saturday morning with bathroom renovations people getting quotes (which are bloody scary btw!) 

I could buy a full set of museum quality YZ-A's - 125-250-360 - for the money they want to renovate the bathroom, toilet, laundry!

Desperately wanted to go, but the best I could manage was to sneak into the garage every so often...  At least till they worked out where I was hiding anyway..

It's actually quite relaxing being back in Sydney!!   ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:59:21 am by IT400C »

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:59:04 am »
No excuses son.....all your blue poo brothers where there...plenty of green too....bit light on yellow though....are you back for good yet? You had better stop wearing those blouses mate. ;D

IT400C

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:01:32 am »
This is my last full week in Sydney - flew back down this morning - not a public holiday down here..   :'(

May be down here Monday & Tuesday next week also - not 100% sure yet..  But after that I'm back in Brissie full time.

IT400C

KDX400A1 DC plastics set - now with Photos
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 11:21:18 pm »

IT400C

KDX400A1 DC plastics set - now with Photos
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 11:29:12 pm »

IT400C

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 11:33:53 pm »
Hope the photos are ok...  They were taken with my mobile phone, uploaded to photobucket from the phone (photobucket mobile), and posted from the mobile too....

Looking at them on my phone the colour saturation looks a bit off, but a bit hard to tell on the phone ....   
 ::) :) :D

Offline HVA61

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 08:01:06 am »
Hi Tony

You must be very pleased with the result.

The old KDX 400 looks superb with DC plastics and they appear to fit real well. I have used DC plastics on a number of bikes and have been pleased with the results.
Autos are the way forward , see you round like a robot
Take the short cut, go Cross Country
The shortest distance between two points is Cross Country
CCM's and HL's bark like mad dogs

IT400C

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 10:28:55 am »
Hi Tony

You must be very pleased with the result.

The old KDX 400 looks superb with DC plastics and they appear to fit real well. I have used DC plastics on a number of bikes and have been pleased with the results.

Yeah, they look better than the photos show (now that I've actually seen them on a computer!)...   ::)

Colour is pretty damn close, and considering how complex the originals are, the shape is pretty good too.

The front guard is marginally shorter than original (20mm), and the rear needs some careful positioning to get the sealing lip to fit under the seat, but overall I'm really quite pleased with them.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:37:06 am by IT400C »

IT400C

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 10:41:09 am »
Oh, and the colour is a little off in those photos - sorry, they were taken with my phone, and it looks like there may have been a thimbprint on the lense!

The photos of the front guard are particularly bad - sorry!   ::)

The DC plastics colour is very close to original (just slightly lighter - that's a NOS headlight to compare them to).

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 10:53:20 pm »
That tank looks farked homo....like the pink KTM next to it. ;D