Author Topic: 2012 Classic Dirt Track Championships - Canberra October 6/7  (Read 24921 times)

Curly3

Re: 2012 Classic Dirt Track Championships - Canberra October 6/7
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2012, 09:50:50 am »
Still can't find the overall results anywhere.
No wonder interest in the sport is waning.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:59:35 am by SlideRulz »

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2012, 12:22:40 pm »
Last year at Brisbane had a record entry, so I dont think its a general downward trend

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2012, 01:47:41 pm »
just goes to show what the split has done.
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2012, 07:26:48 pm »
Just goes to show how little you understand. Read my reply 119.There was the option to run a combined event. The factors against doing so was MA (apparent) double dipping, but more so the club's decision that they couldnt fit all eras into two days.

Curly3

« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2012, 07:32:53 pm »
I hear what you're saying Col and agree that the titles last year were a bloody well supported event.
Given that it was the first one held north of the Tweed for a long time, maybe even ever, there was a lot of local support and luckily for you guy's you also rec'd plenty of support from the southern states.
I really thought that with Canberra being pretty much in the centre of DT's heartland that it would've rec'd better overall support.
Given the amount of classes we now have, a split was inevitable.
I may be repeating myself but we need to move forward and now that we have set classes for Classic we should be developing those classes and that really is the responsibility of all the clubs who run DT.
I def don't think I know what the amswere is but the more input we get, the better.
Personally I'd like to see next years Classic titles go to Broadford because we need to spread the word, despite my allegences to Nepean but that decision hasn't been made yet.
I would call on all Post Classic competitors to look at the up coming NSW PC Titles at Nepean as a defacto OZ title event because that's what Roy & the Penrith club tried real bloody hard to have.
I think I've spent my 2 bobs worth.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2012, 10:12:21 pm »
just goes to show what the split has done.
The split had nothing to do with the problems that arose from the Canberra Nats. The split has been a success on the motocross side of the sport and although it's not as necessary for the less subscribed dirt track, the option is there for a club to use or not use it at their own discretion. I've been informed that the Canberra club made the decision themselves to only run with the Classic side of the split purely because they weren't confident that they could run both divisions within the two day weekend. Although the MA 'double dipping' on the permit fees would have put more pressure on the clubs finances, in the end that element had nothing to do with the decision to run with the Classic section only, nor did the split.

No wonder interest in the sport is waning.
I don't believe for one minute that interest in Classic and Post Classic Dirt Track is waning. I suspect that the downturn in the entry level was down to less than adequate promotion and a lack of hype in the period leading up to the close of entries. The buzz for the meeting prior to the entries closing was surprisingly underwhelming, even on this forum. There didn't seem to be the exciting buzz that had been obvious leading up to the Griffith and Queensland events. As we've seen in previous years, the more an event is talked up, the more excited and involved people got. When compared to these events, the build up to Canberra was rather flat.

Let's hope that next years Classic DT Nats at Temora* can get back most of the mojo that went missing this year. Unfortunately there's an obvious problem already looming with the Classic Motocross Nats set down for Canberra on the 28-29th of September and the Classic Dirt Track Nats are scheduled for one week later on the 5th-7th of October in Temora. With Classic Dirt possibly again being earmarked for September we're presented with a three major event cluster, putting time and financial pressure on those who traditionally do all three events.

*It's been rumoured and reported here that next years Nats were headed for Broadford but it now appears, according to the draft MA 2013 calendar that Temora in the NSW Riverina district has got the tentative nod.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:18:28 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Curly3

« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2012, 10:35:16 pm »
That's the point I was trying to make, lack of communication, even post event.
I talked it up at every opportunity as did several others.
From what i've been told, if Temora get the titles we better get the K70's and Carlisle's out of moth balls.
And that's not a critisism, I'll support it wherever it goes.

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2012, 05:47:30 am »
Looks like we have to wait till next year and see what that brings .

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2012, 10:51:46 am »
The Nationals at Griffith were the best run, best supported event of its type that I can remember, and to me that was and will be a very hard act to follow.
 Looking forward to the Post Classics at Nepean, Great facilities, Great team, Great fun.
cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2012, 03:06:17 pm »
Please let's not have Classic Dirt in September if at Wallerawang.  Let's wait till the mercury rises and the god of wind's cheeks have emptied for the year.

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2012, 08:22:45 pm »
I must be missing something .
Moto-x no post classic tittles
Dirt Track no post classic titles
And reading a post that is saying the split is a success . ???

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2012, 09:45:11 pm »
  I must be missing something .
Moto-x no post classic tittles
Dirt Track no post classic titles
And reading a post that is saying the split is a success . 
If you made the effort to read back on some earlier posts you'd see that in both instances, the actual split had nothing to do with why those events didn't happen.
The Post Classic Motocross Nats failed because it was to be held in geographically and financially difficult Tasmania. It's a pretty sure bet that if it had been held on the mainland east coast it would have been a raging success. The reasons their were no Post Classic Dirt Track Championships have been ccovered over the last few pages.....once again, no fault of the split.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:58:01 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2012, 07:34:21 am »
I have noted that Temora is penciled in for next year ,so are they going to run both ?.If not they should make M.A aware of this so that another club can put in for the other.
Its all about communication.

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2012, 07:04:39 pm »
The "split" seems to have fragmented things a bit methinks. Hopefully next year will see a better result. I reckon the split has adversely affected events this year. I think the Tassie distance thing is valid  and the lack of "hype" around the Classic DT also, but IMO the split has hurt numbers. Twice as many events,so twice the amount of volunteer work needed, fees , travel for some riding both etc. Do we really need 5 rounds of heats before we get to the finals in Classic DT? Cut it back to 3 heats and throw Evo and pre-85 back in.  Why can't we get at least a month between Nat events? Does anyone know?

Curly3

« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2012, 07:25:59 pm »
The last 2 - 3 years the overall numbers have been around 110 entries, some of those entries riding more than one class, those 2 years also included Pre85 & EVO classes.
From what I've been told, this year in Canberra had approx 80 - 90 entries, again some riding more than one class.
Considering the split I think the numbers were pretty well on parr.
The split was inevitable and considering MA rarely go back, we need to make the best of it.
The 2 classes that really need some thought are the Sidecars and Sliders.
I'm on the MNSW Classic Dirt committee, MX & DT, so I'm keen to help make things happen.
I/we are open to all suggestions.
It aint broke but we need to be pro active.