Author Topic: Mounting Grips on your bars, what is your tip?  (Read 3815 times)

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
Mounting Grips on your bars, what is your tip?
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:10:01 pm »
I know this seems like a no brainer but in all the MXA, Dirt Bike and similar mags I have read, I have never come across a grip fitting solution I think is the way to go. I have always put my grips on the same way, wind electrical tape around the bar, dry fit the gip over the top with a bit of air pressure, then safety wire them. They have never come off but the left grip always slowly twists and moves around the bar over time and when it is wet I wonder what might happen. I tried the Renthal grip glue and it was useless, my next step is Araldite or similar. What is your tip? Has anyone found a solution where the grip is on for good and doesn't move wet or dry?
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Mounting Grips on your bars, what is your tip?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:17:14 pm »
Electrical tape..really? I use either BBR grip glue or a light spray of pressure pack enamel inside the grip and slide them straight onto the bars, rarely do they move.

Curly3

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:24:47 pm »
Hairspray & elbow grease.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 09:50:14 pm »
steve
they are talking about motorcycle grips.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:06:31 pm »
a light spray of pressure pack enamel inside the grip and slide them straight onto the bars
That's my tried and true method too John. I've been doing it that way for 30 years and in fact fitted a pair of Oury grips that way just yesterday.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Hardo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 10:09:11 pm »
a light spray of pressure pack enamel inside the grip and slide them straight onto the bars, rarely do they move.

+1 on this method.
Lightly Spray paint them on (quick spray inside the grip prior to fitting). The paint acts as a lubricant to slide on, then dries nicely like glue.
Then wire them up.
 :)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:27:14 pm »
Hairspray. Leave them for a day or two to make sure the hairspray has dried out before tie-wiring them.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 10:39:40 pm »
It takes a bit of practice to get the amount of paint spray right though. If you have a hole in the end of the grip and the bar end is plugged (as it should be) then the paint spray pattern on the wall in line with the end of the bar as you push the grip on can be quite engaging. ::)

I use contact adhesive that comes in large tubes from the local $2 shop. Smells good too.....mmmmm
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 11:00:58 pm »
I've had luck in the past with a bit of petrol on clean bars and slide the grip on but lately it hasn't been working so well.
Last time I used self amalgamating electrical tape wrapped tightly on the bars with a splash of petrol, that set them in place nicely then I tie-wired them.
The older I get, the faster I was

Curly3

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 11:27:47 pm »
Get your mind out of the gutter Jim, I said elbow grease not KY Jelly.

Taka 100

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 11:31:58 pm »
quick clean with one of the best cleaning fluids i have come across for practically any part, threads prior to loctight , inside sparkplugs etc 'start ya bastard' on a piece of toweling which is same as the old aerostart which smell's like ether then when all dry and clean then quick squirt with the same in the grip, position grips leave overnight , wire if you like ,  

or old method nitto electical tape in spiral pattern then wind on grip same pattern direction

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 11:42:46 pm »
Air compressor jet up the grip.

Gets em off in a flash and the same way back on, they seem to fit on and stick by themselves.  Seems the dust on them is what makes the spin.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 08:19:35 am »
The method I have used for years is to clean the inside of the grip with aerosol brake cleaner. Clean the bars with the same. Then spray a load inside the grip (which softens and expands the rubber) and slide on quickly. Leave over night and wire if required.
The added bonus is that should you wish to remove the grip without damage, all you have to do is the reverse. Gently ease a small screwdriver under the grip a little and spray the brake cleaner in there. Work it around a bit, spray a bit more and in a couple of seconds it's loose and slides off.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 08:43:09 am »
The method I have used for years is to clean the inside of the grip with aerosol brake cleaner. Clean the bars with the same. Then spray a load inside the grip (which softens and expands the rubber) and slide on quickly. Leave over night and wire if required.
The added bonus is that should you wish to remove the grip without damage, all you have to do is the reverse. Gently ease a small screwdriver under the grip a little and spray the brake cleaner in there. Work it around a bit, spray a bit more and in a couple of seconds it's loose and slides off.
exactly my method too.
i've never wired a grip on.
and only when needed, usually with a second hand grip, i've also switched from electrical tape to good old masking tape as it's just that bit thinnner and i find the paper part of the tape gives more grip for the grip. if that makes sense.
"flat bickie"

Offline DOK

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 11:21:34 am »
I worked in bike shops in the late 70s early 80s and an old fellow in the 1st shop reckoned a finger over the hole in the grip pour in a little petrol (not 2stroke) swish it around tip out and slide straight on. this has never failed me the fuel evaporates and the grip sticks.
Might be different with e-10 though