Author Topic: Feedback from older Dirttrackers for Nepean  (Read 3557 times)

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
Feedback from older Dirttrackers for Nepean
« on: April 18, 2012, 07:24:42 am »
This was posted on Nepeans facebook page by Andrew Knight

HI all i would like some feedback on a future event idea ...

There are a lot of old/x racers around who have bikes in the shed that don't ride due to the fact they don't wish to race or do a practice day etc as they feel the "risk" may be to high.

I would love to put together a RIDE NEPEAN day, for x racers or some of our old champions who want to drag their old bike out of the shed but ride in relative safety.

Groups could be organised into age classes, with a low track density ( say 6 bikes on the circuit ) in 8 lap sessions, so people can have a ride for the love of riding.
This could include old speedway riders or x pro racers.

It would be a fantastic family day for old racers and mates to share old times and their love of riding.

This event would not be for current racers, but for all the older x racers who want to ride the circuit, without a race situation.

Could also include a show and shine for old dirt track bikes etc.

love to hear your thoughts
cheers

What do you reckon about the idea ? 'Er Indoors won't let me race again , I'd be in this like a rat up a drainpipe.
Foss

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback from older Dirttrackers for Nepean
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 08:54:49 am »
Great idea....count me in. I've passed this along to some folks who might be able to make it happen. Let's see if they like the idea.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 09:27:37 am »
 Sounds good!
 Maybe the Nepean raceway committee could be approached with the thought, perhaps along the lines of forfieting one practice saturday of the year and dedicating that date to the event.
 pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:31:21 am »
Sounds great to me Punchy, once a year , old DT bike show and shine , bikes goin' around, bulldust being spread around, no pressure, a few convivial after, old mates and old rivals  AND Er Indoors will let me have a skid around !!
Foss

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:52:02 am »
Even better......make it a two day event with overnight camping encouraged. The event could be a sort of lower key CD or HBBB purely for dirt track and maybe speedway. ;)

Include a show and shine, swap meet and old dirt track home movies and perhaps guest speakers from the old days (except Ivan :-X). It could be run along the lines of the HBBB dirt track section which goes smoothly and everyone gets plenty of laps. There's shitloads of old sliders, sidecars and chookies sitting in sheds and when you combine that with the currently available vintage dirt track (and motocross) racers I reckon you could expect a formidable entry.

The more I think about it, the more I like the concept. ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:55:12 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:31:09 am »
 I think it possibly needs to be kept at the oiginal thought re currently non competing riders other wise it could become bigger than Ben Hur and detract from CD etc. but good concept.
pancho.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:36:04 am »
perhaps run the event as a non comp, then its way cheap for new and older aged riders..  8)
3.1.2 of MOM's/Bike bible
Excellent concept~think out side the square ~ DT1 DT2 and of course the best DT3 ......  ;)
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=22230.0

perhaps run the event as a non comp, then its way cheap for new and older aged riders.. 
What is the general consensus as far as cost of "entry" for this sort of event?
Cheers
pm sent
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:48:33 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 01:30:01 pm »
Why cant a current rider go ? thats stupid...  they probally are less of a risk and probally slower than some of the old guns, who would be more dangerous to themselves as they havent ridden for a while and out run there own enrty speeds.

I think if you going to tdo it it should be class based era and CC and then you have a slow med and fast session and people can migrate to where they feel comfortable with.  parade laps sometimes dont get the number consitantly, there needs to be a mix for everyone to enjoy and share the event with.  the only limitaiton should be the bikes in era, not the riders.  Share the sport dotn stranggle it to a musuem.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

number 87

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 02:36:43 pm »
perhaps run the event as a non comp, then its way cheap for new and older aged riders.. 

What is the general consensus as far as cost of "entry" for this sort of event?

Cheers

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 05:49:05 pm »
 I think if it ever comes to be, the original "museum" concept needs to be retained for this 'once a year 'event and with no racing I understand costs could be kept to a minimum and be run with 'rec' licence.
pancho.

Offline piney

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 08:53:07 pm »
luv the concept but no current racers ?? hows bout making the event like a ride day (eg eastern creek ) passing only aloud around on the outside.no inside passing, you could even have some sweep riders in hi viss jackets to make sure all riders followed ths rule. this sounds like the event we need. show an shine no racing rule, swap meet!! campin an d/t movies. yee haaa

Curly3

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 10:55:52 pm »
I think a DT / Flattrack / Speedway ride day Inc a swap meet and camping with some old movies is a great idea.
We have a pretty packed calender as it is but surely something coud be organised.
Given that I'm just recently retired I like the sound of no passing on the inside.

number 87

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 11:09:21 am »
Given that I'm just recently retired

Come on Slidez, never use the "R" word . . . all the really cool racers NEVER really retire (eg. Gary Nixon) they just "have a bex and a little lay down" for a while . . . seriously though, I hope your feeling less ordinary each day.

This rec day concept seems to be growing some legs . . . It may fit well with a concept i have floated with the Nepean Commitee. So it may be timely to float it to the forum to gauge acceptance.

Something along the lines of the Goodwood Festival, Muscle Car Masters, Barry Sheene Memorial and Classic Dirt.

Thus far i have been refering to it as the Nepean Festival of Grunt

One third racing, one third rec riding, and one third a "circus".

The "circus" aspect is entertainment -

Static displays (70's muscle cars, 60's speedcars, old speedway solos/sidecars/sliders etc)
On track demos (speedcars, old speedway solos/sidecars/sliders)
Trials arena (easy to build and brings another interesting aspect of motorcycling to the public)

Plus other stuff (invite the Defence Force to set up a disply eg an APC, invite the Penrith Panthers for a meet and greet, a current Superbike Team and SX Team etc. 

Please dont take this as a definate event as it is all just a concept at this point but i feel that it would be a great show and feel the place with people . . .

Thoughts please . . .

Cheers

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 11:53:38 am »
Speedcars? Nah, not Nepean.

gettinold

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 12:36:16 pm »
Sounds good. Im currently rebuilding an old Australian championship winning 500 kawa sidecar. Hmmm maybe thats not the correct wording. "IM AM YET TO START REBUILDING LOL".