Author Topic: The Sounds of Motocross  (Read 14006 times)

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
Re: The Sounds of Motocross
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 09:57:00 am »
I say ya can't beat the sound of big old BSA single barking around a track. And when it's mixed with the grumble of the unit Triumphs, it's a symphony any composer would be glad he composed  ;D
I have to admit the big bore 2 smokers make a great noise as well.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline davidmc

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 10:22:39 am »
I have heard them all, and for me there was nothing better than a grid full of Factory 500 MXers off the start at a Grand Prix in the Eighties.
 A factory 500 had a much deeper bark to it than a Production Bike.
To hear them in a valley all at full throttle together was like nothing else!

Offline Rusty

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 08:21:21 am »
The sweetest sound of motocross I have ever heard was DeCoster, Geboers, Rahier & Robert out practicing - all on works Suzukis before mufflers were mandatory. 
Poke that bone back in and wrap it up tight sport - I am racing the second moto.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 01:36:45 pm »
* 8)* Miller v Ploen, hunched over the tank and hooking gears down the big, grassy downhill main straight at Gordonton, eyeballing each other on RN400s... :P
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 02:17:22 pm »
I can still vividly remember the Bark of the lone Elsinore down the end of our road at the creek that sweet buitiful sound reverbarating off the trees :'(

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 02:22:40 pm »
I think the sound of the first Moto at the MXDN at Manji.... the 500's powering into the first turn and then pulling up Rock'n Roll hill for the first time... still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up..!!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 03:06:46 pm »
I was about 12 years old and mucking around in the backyard when I suddenly heard this loud BWAARRP, BWAARRP , BWAARRP sound bellowing from somewhere in Maroubras suburban hinterland. To me it was the sound of the JAP speedway bikes I'd come to love at my beloved Sydney Showground so I was expecting to find one of my speedway heroes tuning his beast for the upcoming Saturday night meeting. I hopped on my Malvern Star and rode up and down the streets and lanes of old Maroubra Junction until I eventually in Alma Lane I found two blokes that looked as cool as Buddy Holly with their Brylcreemed rocker 'do's working in an immaculate British Racing Green tanked BSA Goldstar scrambler. My new heroes were getting the bike ready for the next days Moorebank Scrambles and little did they or I know that that little passage of time would ignite in me a lifelong passion for scrambles and the sound of British singles. Fifty years later that sound still gives me goosebumps.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:14:01 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline cz400

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 04:26:58 pm »
kenny roberts tz dirt tracker

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 11:37:33 am »
I was about 12 years old and mucking around in the backyard when I suddenly heard this loud BWAARRP, BWAARRP , BWAARRP sound bellowing from somewhere in Maroubras suburban hinterland. To me it was the sound of the JAP speedway bikes I'd come to love at my beloved Sydney Showground so I was expecting to find one of my speedway heroes tuning his beast for the upcoming Saturday night meeting. I hopped on my Malvern Star and rode up and down the streets and lanes of old Maroubra Junction until I eventually in Alma Lane I found two blokes that looked as cool as Buddy Holly with their Brylcreemed rocker 'do's working in an immaculate British Racing Green tanked BSA Goldstar scrambler. My new heroes were getting the bike ready for the next days Moorebank Scrambles and little did they or I know that that little passage of time would ignite in me a lifelong passion for scrambles and the sound of British singles. Fifty years later that sound still gives me goosebumps.

Ah the sound of Sydney Showground speedway on a Saturday night still live with me too. The sound of the big Jawas at full song before the days of the ridiculous mufflers (and mudflaps!) was something I HAD TO HAVE every Saturday night. A whole group of us would ride our pushies from Randwick and stash them in the bushes of Centenial Park before going into the Speedway. I used to stand at the fence just so I could get roosted by Ivan Mauger and Phil Crump. The sound of the big 2 st outfits was pretty special too, as well as the little pink mini cooper that raced in amongst all the "big cars" and somehow snaked it's way through the field....Those were good days for a city kid.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline Matador107

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 01:30:43 pm »
The Sydney Royale Speedway  the sound of Glen and Gary Innes on the Kwaka triple 2 stroke sidecar, along with the sweet sound of a two stroke 4,8 or 12 cyl Detroit diesel two stroke.

Bultaco Metralla, Matador MK 5, Montadero mk2, El Bandido model 18,plus lots of bits and two Honda XR's 250,350.

Offline Bondi Rabbit

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 02:31:14 pm »
Well as a kid riding my xr75  at menai in NSW in 1974 I think  and hearing the first Elsinore screaming along, that sound of a two stroke could be heard anywhere and then that smell of methanol after it went past. Couldnt wait to get a two stroke , Got myself the YZ125x which I still own and took it out for its first ride in 32 years after the rebuild. Just as much fun and just as great sound

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 03:17:03 pm »
While the sound from a field of 500cc 2 stroke MX bikes is what I love the most, I did get to go to Adelaide F1 GP in 1988.  The noise from a grid of 1.5 litre turbo F1 cars was something special also.  The funny thing is F1 is going to 1.6 litre turbos next year.  They will be at lower revs and less boost but still similar.

Kevin
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:24:04 pm by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2014, 03:40:15 pm »
Best sound for me, reverse-cone mega on a CCM 500, makes me jizz my pants.

I use to race a 3 cyl 900 Benelli, after every race people would come to tell me how horn it sounded.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2014, 04:08:27 pm »
Not motocross but...........an F1 field in the pre turbo 3 litre era hammering to the first turn, a weber equipped small block Windsor 302 Ford on full hog, a top fuel dragster throttle blip, my V12 Jaguar with the airboxes removed at 7000rpm, a cranky, hotted up to the shithouse, cammy red holden motor with Webers and an MV Augusta on the redline. Music, my friends, music.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:10:57 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2014, 07:59:39 pm »
A two stroke at full song is music to me , but there are a Cpl of cars that have  made a impression over the years two that come to mind are John Goss's Jag at Bathurst that was awesome and a Cpl of years ago at the Longford revival they brought out Allan Moffet's Mustang on the flying mile . I don't think there was one petrol head there that was not grinning even the Holden fans had smiles . Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club