Author Topic: Who Knows?  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
Re: Who Knows?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 05:37:21 pm »
We appear to be talking about two different ideas here Lozza.

Quote from page 1
"we were interested only in the two-level testing of a
broad concept: would more of a suitable
reference oil cause an engine to produce
more power or less,
and would ring sticking
be reduced or made worse?"

I don't see any mention of different jet sizes in the above statement.
My argument is that if you [ I or we ] say to a young rider [ who is keen to learn but has no idea , and don't laugh because we have all been here]
" more oil is better " and forget to mention that you also have to change jet sizes then you [ I or we ] have mislead that young rider by omission and the results that young rider would get may be very different from the expected.
If he/she was for instance to mix up a 10/1 ratio and tip it in his/her tank on standard jetting then I would expect the bike to run hot and seize. [ seen it happen ]

The " more oil is better " statement is bullsh#t without the addition of " but you also have to do this ".

It annoys the sh#t out of me when I hear general statements that are short on facts.
" Seatbelts save lives , in an accident your organs continue to travel forward if you are not wearing a seatbelt , driving through just a couple of cm of water is dangerous , speeding kills , more oil is better ".
Cheers Mike
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Who Knows?
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 06:42:02 pm »
The article clearly states "Simply making up sample batches of premix at various fuel/oil ratios and trying them in 5 min dyno runs did not seem to be a procedure to settle anything"
Coaching young blokes on jetting was not the scope of the article it was a scientific test to prove or disprove a theory, nothing more. To that it proved by using a repeatable method as with the SAE test  that more oil equals more power.
Jesus only loves two strokes