Author Topic: How many is too many?  (Read 4079 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
How many is too many?
« on: April 12, 2012, 06:33:06 am »
I think I'm to the point that I'm realizing I should thin the herd.  My racing days have slowed down (5, maybe 6 dates a year) and I just can't keep buying tires, chains and sprockets, etc for the ones I have race ready and then keep restoring the new ones that follow me home.

I did National racing for a few years and the logic was you needed to take two like bikes with you, if you were traveling all that distance and trying to stay ahead in a points chase. I also thought that someday friends or nephews might join me, but that never happened.  I bought two or more of most of the models I had, but maybe, just maybe I should sell down to one of each and then, thin down to just the basic 10 or 12.
 ;D
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: How many is too many?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:52:53 am »
You can never have to many!

My count for 500 Yamahas is currently 13, (SR/TT/XT's) and the total number of bikes, including wrecks in my shed is now over 50.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Tony T

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:01:26 am »
I did the same thing a while ago, Red.
Quality over quantity.  ;)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:33:52 pm »
I did the same thing a while ago, Red.
Quality over quantity.  Wink
Me too. There's only so many bikes you can own before you start tripping over therm and worse, they start deteriorating from lack of sunlight :-[.
Just this morning I noticed how my restored DT1 has picked up a little rubber rot and the odd nick and scratch from just sitting under a sheet for five years or so. I'm intending to have a big shed clearance myself after CD9.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 12:46:22 pm »
I got to 14 and soon culled down to 3 .Those bike are serviced/reliable and if one ever broke down at the track you still have 1 or 2 to ride. I invested in spare motors,electrics etc and am now self suficient for the rest of my days.Some folk with 30-50 bikes cant spend money on maintenance and generally have un reliable bikes.
Second part of the debate is "what if" that bike you all ways wanted turned up?
It would have to be way special to tempt me now days. ;D
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 12:54:18 pm »
Where does Jonesy or Edgar fit in here Bazza?.....we're amateurs compared to them ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 01:47:17 pm »
According to the minster for fun and finances here thinks 1 is plenty. ::) Me I think how many should be determined by the size of your shed ;D Darcy
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:10:46 pm by dkupf »
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 02:33:43 pm »
YEp im realigning to one model series that i can race and support properly, not fussed onthe numbers but looking now to focus on serving them which hasnt happend for a while even on the racers.

So all the foreign brands in my shed are going ( suzuki , kawa etc) and then only in a specific period.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 02:47:51 pm »
I have mixed interest and love a deal, so tend to grab bikes when they come up in bits at a good discount. hard to focus on just one thing as love my Ducati's and Harleys as well.

So I tend to end up with bikes that would be hard to find again or unaffordable for me to buy again.
I could probably reduce to 10, but the F1, 996, Paul Smart, Rickman, Cheneys and selection of pre 74 bikes are staying.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 03:05:26 pm »
Its a bit like this for me  ::) This is a PM, reply I just sent off to a friend.

I left for Broadford with a pocket full of cash. I flattened an unfortunate  fox just after dark and then just missed two roos. So I pulled over and climbed into the sack. While laying there surfing on my smart phone, I found an ER185 with only 3,200 genuine klms on "Gumtree" in west Melbourne.
I rang him, he said he would wait up. At 1.30am, I had my new stead strapped to the trailer. Then made my way back to Broadford, got there around 3.30 or 4am. The Gates were actually locked There was a big fire burning in a 44 gal drum on the fence line, so I warmed my bones. Man it was cold. I crawled in to the sack, again with the smart phone and found another ER on ebay at Bateman’s Bay, out on the south-east coast, complete with a parts bike as well. Decisions, decisions, I decided not to enter the complex in the morning, but save all my coinage for a gamble, and go for three ER185s instead of one. I snyped them for $152 on Sunday arvo. Rang Brandy and told her about the first ER185, for $1,300. “so that’s #41 hey Mick”. Brandy then said I needed psychiatric help, an intervention at least. I then told her how we wont be able to afford a psychiatrist for a while now darlin, because we just snyped another two more on ebay. I know one thing for sure, she certainly doesn’t have the sharp business mind that I do    ???   

"light weight, and it works great"  :)

crankpin

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 05:58:19 pm »

It's an illness alright... I'm down to 3, all raceable (very soon). One day I hope to have only 1.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 06:17:21 pm »
Ed i can understand after having a bike wreckers for years. Freddy  repeat after me"my name is freddy and i am a collectaholic" absolutly no hope for the lad.....lol
Embrace patina

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 06:19:39 pm »
Mick are you sure you are not TM Bills alter ego twin????????? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Embrace patina

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 07:27:08 pm »
Its a bit like this for me  ::) This is a PM, reply I just sent off to a friend.

I left for Broadford with a pocket full of cash. I flattened an unfortunate  fox just after dark and then just missed two roos. So I pulled over and climbed into the sack. While laying there surfing on my smart phone, I found an ER185 with only 3,200 genuine klms on "Gumtree" in west Melbourne.
..................................... Decisions, decisions, I decided not to enter the complex in the morning, but save all my coinage for a gamble, and go for three ER185s instead of one. .................................................................  

so you missed Broadford for a chance at another ER185, after driving from Sydney all night.   ???   ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 10:20:33 pm »

so you missed Broadford for a chance at another ER185, after driving from Sydney all night.   ???   ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

No No No Hoony, I drove from Newcastle  ::) ::) ::) ::)
"light weight, and it works great"  :)