Author Topic: Dying Plastic - It works!  (Read 2086 times)

Offline QABB

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Glenn's Garage
Dying Plastic - It works!
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:01:21 am »
As part of my YZ80 resto, I wanted to change the colour of the chain guide from a weird green and back to black.  I thought I'd try dying it and it works!

Here's an extract from my blog (http://glennsgarage.blogspot.com.au/) showing how to do it.  Hopefully it helps someone out:

One part that has been bugging me for a while was the chain slider / guide that protects the swingarm.  The one that was on the bike was well worn so I sourced a new old stock one.  Problem is, instead of being a nice black plastic, it was an ugly army green!

Looking through my collection of photos of 1993 YZ80's showed that when they were brand new, like in the magazine tests etc, the chain guide was black.  All of the second hand bikes show them in different shades of green.  Strange.  I can only assume that they loose (or gain!?) colour over time with UV exposure.  Even though my new old stock replacement was still in the original packaging, it had turned 90% green.

Anyway, I wanted it to look new - black.  I could have painted it but thought that was a bit dodgy.  So, I thought I'd have a go at dying it.

I used some Rit fabric dye that I found on eBay.  It comes in a little packet in powder form.

First step was to get a pot big enough to fit the part in, fill it with water and get it hot on the stove.  I had it just below boiling and then added the dye powder.  I wasn't sure how much to add so I just put the whole packet in and mixed it up.

Once it was mixed I backed off the temp so it was hot, but not bubbling at all.

Next, I used a zip tie to suspend the part in the dye so it wouldnt be resting on the bottom.  I figured that if it was resting on the bottom it could potentially melt and it wouldn't get an even coverage of dye.

With the part hanging on a piece of timber and in the pot, I left it to cook for about an hour.

After about an hour, I took the part out, gave it a rinse in cold water and dried it off.  Luckily, it worked!  It looks like brand new black plastic again!

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Dying Plastic - It works!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:27:51 am »
Hi Glenn, great blog and a great result on the chain-slider :o

thanks for sharing ;) 
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:32:20 am »
This is the kind of stuff that makes the forum worth its existence. I've got a white plastic/nylon chain guide I would rather be black so I'm going to give this process a go.....thanks Glenn.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline QABB

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Glenn's Garage
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:18:07 pm »
Hope it helps some of you guys.  Easy to do, just don't tell the mrs about the pot / saucepan!  :-X

There is a heap of different colours available too:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=rit+dye&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 01:43:24 pm »
Hope it helps some of you guys.  Easy to do, just don't tell the mrs about the pot / saucepan!  :-X
There is a heap of different colours available too:
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=rit+dye&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Glenn RIT dye and other brands are still available at Coles,Woolworths (laundry isle's),Spotlight and Textile Traders..
cheers and top idea from glennsgarage  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline QABB

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Glenn's Garage
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 01:57:49 pm »
Thanks VMX247!  Shows how much time I spend in the laundry isle!  ;)

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 03:05:14 pm »
is that because the chicks are in the laundry isle?? Great info
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 04:37:15 pm »
Would it work in whitening old ugly gastanks??

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 07:17:57 pm »
Great idea.
If it was me I would stagger, drop the pan and it would come up in the divorce. ;D
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.