Author Topic: Fantastic H.B.B.B.  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
Fantastic H.B.B.B.
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:46:05 am »
Went yesterday and had a ball. Caught up with some old friends and had a chat with Ray Owen. This event is HUGE . Well done to all.  I reckon a couple of days is needed to take it all in.  FANTASTIC ;D ;D          REGARDS   Mark

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Fantastic H.B.B.B.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:35:27 am »
I completely agree.

Some pics are already available on the MA website:

http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=653

Tex

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:50:17 am »
Some great photos,sure is drier than when classic dirt was there.
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline miniwheels

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 01:41:56 pm »
Just got back from HBBB, by far the best one, absolutley huge, great to see so many of the MX legends at the reunion on Friday nite that were all to willing to share a story or two from the golden era,   
Thx to Les ,Roscoe and others for organising the MX memorabilia and bike display, a big thumbs up boys ;D

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 02:13:11 pm »
I had a blast, yesterday far exceeded my expectations. It was well run, and everyone was happy! Thanks to all involved and i will be uploading motocross photos soon.
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 03:35:49 pm »

Some pics are already available on the MA website:
http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=653

Looks like the speedway folk had a well attended gathering..  :P....Impressive  lookin outfits and solos.. 8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 04:06:10 pm »
Had a great day yesterday. Caught up with Slider 29 and his brother the venerable Steve Eastham, Mark and Janine,GMC, Hoony, Peter and Margret Schoene, Ross Nimmo, Drakey,the hungover KB171 (although that didn't stop him on the short cicuit track) not to mention the hard working VCM committee. Just a great day! Never did catch up with Roger Harvey as I wanted to personally congratulate him on the excellent Scramble Downunder book. Have to wait untill CD9. J

Doggy Digger

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 06:46:39 pm »
Thanks Jerry  :)

Does anyone know who was the thunderbolt riding old XR500 mostly sideways around the track.  No-one could catch him ... it was amazing.
Not to mention Dave Hammond on that watercooled 250 Maico - he rode it like Glen Bell on a 125.

I reckon I talked to about 200 people.   Every ten steps you'd take ... there was another person to chat with.  Fabulous weather, wonderful campsites under trees at speedway track, cracker Mauger displays, too much to mention.   Even a convivial, exciting thunderstorm that wet nothing and moved on.   

Please note: Nearly four months of hard, hard yakka by Rosco and Barf to put that reunion on.    Talk about a mix of old legends ... from the ages of late 30s up to early 70s.   It was fab-plus.   :)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 07:13:06 pm »
Had a great time ,caught up with a few ...gentle souls... and frightened the shit out of various silly buggers that were stupid enough to get on my little beastie for a taxi ride :D
Unfortunately I started to feel "not so flash" so a sit down and then pack up (Thanks to the genuine young lads with the KDX's for loading the sidecar :) and regrettably make my way home slowly... :( Cheers to all and big big cheers to Pete Drakeford for another special event! Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Doggy Digger

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 08:04:54 pm »
This is Ray Dole (NSW) ... won an Aussie 125 scramble title, circa 1962 on a bantam.   But this is a bike he built when he
went to work at Victa Mowers.   Couldn't afford a good bike, so he somehow machined a lawnmower engine into
the bowels of a bantam's cases.  And then won the NSW 125 Scramble state title.
Left:  Ray Dole snr; middle Ray Dole Jnr (riding it on HBBB MX track); with Dave Hammond

-----------
Lawn mower barrel.  After NSW title, Victa gave him funds, parts and support.   
On weekend, Laurie Alderton thought of a race team motto:
"Win on Sunday; Mow on Monday"

---------------
Here's a good shot of the mower crank; machined into the Bantam cases.   Inset: Ray Dole the legend works lawnmower
MX team rider.  This is a much-abbreviated version of his truly amazing story!

Doggy Digger

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 08:19:35 pm »
Has anyone got a contact please, for Robbie Dick?   A  YZ-A Victorian who's now in WA.
He was at HBBB on weekend with Mason.
Please email:
[email protected]

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 08:56:44 pm »
Just Home frome HBBB wot an eye opener 778 bike entires. From Speedway,MX,Enduro,Trails,Dirt Track,Road Racing. The organisers did a great job . Will be there next year for sure. Watching Mauger,Leisk, & the road racing gents of history was superb.

EBT

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 11:18:53 pm »
Photos starting to be put up on the EBT Forum www.endurobiketalk.com/forum 

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 09:05:37 am »
Has anyone got a contact please, for Robbie Dick?   A  YZ-A Victorian who's now in WA.
He was at HBBB on weekend with Mason.
Please email:
[email protected]

Rog, i spoke to him on friday ( great bloke, as is all bike fans) and he is a forum member. i think he said his handle is "Robbie"
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Doggy Digger

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 02:34:17 pm »
Thanks Hoony and Albert ... got him (Robbie Dick) :)