Author Topic: The Classic Dirt 9 Thread  (Read 62502 times)

Tony T

Re: The Classic Dirt 9 Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 08:03:26 am »
Still, it'd be cool to see if anyone else can either bring their old riding gear to wear, or even some period authentic gear (think Brad from last year). Whaddya reckon?

I'm all for it, Graeme! The more that get into the spirit of vintage, the better.  ;D

btw What's the actual Classic Dirt age ruling? Is it pre 85 or has it gone later than that?

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 08:57:46 am »
Tony, from VMX Mag's CD9 'brochure':

"Also remember, the event is for Pre ’85 bikes only!"

Tony T

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 09:10:40 am »
Thanks Graeme, obviously I have reading difficulties..........  ::)

btw you might want to reconsider your attire...... I owe you some photos remember........  8)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 09:43:02 am »
Hey, that's right, you do! Lucky you remembered.  Well... I suspect I simply can't get trim enough to wear the white gear. Regardless, I'll have to practice hard so's I can look fast for the piccies. Not much chance of that I spose, but hey. I might buy something more period appropriate if I can't fit the white gear. I'd love to be able to do monster wheelies again - that would make for a cool photo or two, but these days it scares the shit out of me if the front wheel even bounces off a hump. It's for good reason I've given up MX and gone dirt tracking.

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Question on camping
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 03:23:14 pm »
Hi All

I am planning on coming with the wife and kids and have booked in my riding pass so I don't miss out.

This is my first ever Classic dirt, so when it comes to camping do I also need to book that early or can I leave that a bit later.

Also I have a mate who wants to get into Vinduro but is away for a month or so and if he makes the leap won't have a bike for a few months. At what stage does the event usually fill up i.e. when will the 600 passes likely sell out - next week, next month, unlikely to?? so I can give him a rev up

Really looking forward to it!

Cheers
The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 03:36:10 pm »
Hi Bitten - you don't need to book camping, that is just done when you arrive (there's unlimited camping space).  You only need to pre-register for the actual riding.

As for rider numbers, we don't know how fast that will fill up or if it will fill up, as this is the first time the event has been at this venue.  Suffice to say, registrations have been coming in steadily in the past month.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Regards, Ken - VMX Magazine

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 09:25:51 am »
tear offs or roll offs ??
Best is in the West !!

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 07:06:45 pm »
Sunnies  8) 8) 8)
Couple of CR`s

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 01:22:35 pm »
Hi everyone!

An interesting thing is happening so far in the rider registrations for CD9... the proportion of riders from different states is as follows to date:

NSW/ACT  73%
VIC           14%
QLD          10%
WA              3%

No-one from the other states as yet...

Sure it's early days, but it does beg the question:  Will the Queenslanders be outdone by the Victorians at CD9?  :o

Food for thought...  ;)

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 01:24:18 pm »
At that rate there will be more from Unzud
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 01:36:40 pm »
Well we don't have ANY from UNZUD yet...  ::)

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 01:54:06 pm »
you will
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 02:41:06 pm »
Hi All

Sorry to pester but I registered online a few weeks ago for both days but have not heard anything - do you get sent tickets or anything to confirm your registration?

Cheers

Bitten
The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 02:44:55 pm »
Hi Bitten - Alistair is out of town at present (back today) so he may be a bit behind in the processing.  Tickets aren't issued, your name is just included on the rider list (which Alistair can confirm once he's back on deck).

Thanks

Ken - VMX Magazine

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 08:01:00 pm »
The last few Classic Dirts I've been to have been lotsa fun - Connondale was a great venue with plenty of great riding to be had. But... my 75 RM125 just wasn't up to the job on the big track. It was fine on the little Pre 78 track, but just too slow elsewhere. I got kind of sick of being filled in by CR500s and the like, but even worse was not being able to squirt from corner to corner as quick as the guys around me. It was fun in a perverse sort of way but I really wanted a bit more oomph under me. So, with this this year's event at a new venue with apparently a nice big grasstrack, I reckoned I needed a bigger bike for the job. I decided to look around for a cheap 250/500 for the job - didn't have to be pretty as long as it went.

Funnily enough, the very day I decided on that this 1980 RM250T turned up at the right price. It's no showroom queen, but with some fresh plastics, tyres, chain and sprockets and maybe a PFR pipe, I reckon it'll make a great Classic Dirt ride for under $2K. So this year with any luck I'll avoid most of the roost while I'm tootling around the track all gentlemanly like. Maybe...