Author Topic: HOw long  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
HOw long
« on: March 05, 2012, 02:46:01 pm »
can some one tell me how long Griffth, wadonga, braodford and fairburn park dirt tracks are at the pole line please
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:59:23 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: HOw long
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:28:05 pm »
Just a blink

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:56:33 pm »
500m or more ??

Im building a new track for Dirt rack and short/ long circuit, so im trying to fit them all into the one so to speak to save costs, but also make them a decent size so we can run big meetin glike an Aussie title :O)

Does any one consider that broadford track works ?  as inthe speedway and dirt cross overs seem to be fuctionally workable where they overlap ?  only seenit form the air but just curious if that system can work.   same a wadonga ithink has a DT loop off of the main Speedway track ?  any idea feedback considered.   

I cut the track on Sunday :O)
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 04:22:28 pm »
KERRY
nepean is 870 around 2 long straights 1 speedway corner by the pits and spectator area up the top lh then rh then lh back down to the speedway corner
the long track cuts out the to and replaces with a speedway corner
griffth and canberra are shorter
jim

Curly3

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:40:30 pm »
Freaky, on the Ozdirttrack website is a heap of satelite photos of various tracks, the only thing you can't pick up is the difference in elevation of some of the tracks but it would give you a few ideas.
Broadford looks like a great layout.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 04:58:50 pm »
Yeah guys done all that , there are 3 i like the best and would suit my purpose but i need to know how long that are so i can do the maths also cause i know how long Canberra is to ride but not how long in mtrs it is i need to get the perspectives together. ( same with wagga )

I like the layout of the track i mentioned and probally goin gwith a mix of broadford and wadonga, but i wanted to know if bringing the DT tracks and long tracks across the short circuit line causes problems ? ie Ruts, carve out and mounting etc.

if they work a treat and you just have to matt them to get the surface back in check.  I like the idea of having 2 uses for the tracks as it give us more bang for our buck and also cross discipling and volunteers.  So just tryng to get smart from the outset. 

But Dont need a issue and later find where the cross tracks doesnt work only to find out it has been a problem at other places but i never botherd to find out.  ID really like some feebback on the broadford DT extention and the short circuit tracks and how peole find them being the same track.

Same with Aulbury waddongas layout
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 05:07:26 pm »

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:16:58 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 05:23:09 pm »
i reckon the Broadford layout works well.

i have cut many laps around the dirt track & speedway tracks (albeit this was 15 + years ago in my racing heyday) and the speedway track was at the opposite end to the pit corner where it is now. the track ran the 1991 OZ titles and Chris Watson, Len Norris etc. were really hooking in on the dirt track. it will in the end of course need lots of grooming if you cross disciplines and tracks. the long time track curator of Broadford always gets it right.

bottom line is if you don't plan for a Long track, dirt track, speedway combo now you will short change yourself from the get go.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline steve7406

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 07:04:22 pm »
Broadford is 680 mtrs and about 9/10 mtrs wide average lap time is 29/32 sec but the real fast guys go around in high 26s low 27s albury/wodonga is a little bit smaller with fast lap times of around 26s to 30 sec
2000 Yamaha WR400f
1980 Suzuki RM250t
1977 Suzuki RM125b                                         
1975 Yamaha MX250b
1973 Yamaha mx360 (on the rebuild table)                                                               
1972 Yamaha dt1 250
1976 Suzuki ts 185

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 07:20:33 pm »
I think  Griffith is approx. 600m-650m. Some other tracks back in golden years of short circuit were longer. Young was close to 1 mile! Seymour about 850m. Wangarratta about 850m . As a kid i would listen to the older riders talk about Young and it was like the Holy Grail to them. When i first rode there i found out why. FAST and then a bit more ;D
  Mark

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 07:38:08 pm »
Yeah, Slider, Young was awesome, nearly 1 mile around, over 100mph down the loooooong straight then turn 90 degrees left, the rest was sorta like a road race circuit, which doesn't suprise as the original name for Short Circuit was Miniature TT, saw GC there and he was magic as was Charlie, and I will never forget the big OZ V Pom crash off the end of the straight !!

OK Freaky, Fairbairn at Canberra is 650 to 700 meters pole line, I will get the exact figures later tonight both Dirt Track and Longtrack,
Foss

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 07:58:17 pm »
Right, EA just checked some paperwork for the Longtrack at Fairbairn and it's 640 meters, given that, the Dirt Track would be a touch longer, I will find out how much.
Foss

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 08:53:53 pm »
just checkin foss your long track layout does not have a right hander in it right ? where as the DT does.

Hoony exactly what im thinking,  ;) if i make the space for them now it will be easier to fit them in later if they want to play with us.

OTher chaps you meterage is that the full DT track or you giving me the Speedway loop or long track loops ?  can you just confirm which track layout your giving me numbers for ?

IM prity sure Speedway needs to be under 450, long track over 450 and so too DT, but i'd like to know what the sweeet spot is thats just right  :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:56:12 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 09:35:18 pm »
Freaky, yep you're right, it's the Fairbairn longtrack that's 640 pole line, the DT with the right hander would be a little longer, Just spoke to KP , who along with Kelvin Smedley took a mortgage out on their homes to build the original Fairbairn Short Circuit track.

For the last few years there has been no distinction, in the GCRs, between Long or Short Track, ie no State or OZ title for Short Track, just 1 State or National Track championship.

The last NSW Short Track Title was in 1999, which EA and I helped organise at Surfair Speedway

All those who promote , compete or spectate still refer to Longtrack, as it should be, however the powers that be reckoned there were to many championship events and Short Track got the chop and the sport was emasculated to one word "Track" in the GCRs

Speedway was held on third of a mile circuits, 600 or so metres, like the Sydney Showground or half mile, 800 metres like Westmead, but mostly they were quarter mile, 400 metres or thereabouts,these days, speedway tracks over 400 meters and wide enough can be licenced for 6 competitors.

Sapphire Speedway, Bega, which EA and I ran the bikes at for 12 years, is 540 meters pole and we ran Speedway Solos and Track events.

So, if you build a track over 400, you can have it licenced for Speedway with 6 riders and Track with 12.
Good luck with it.
Foss

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 09:57:18 am »
Freaky, these are the official Canberra measurements

Dirt Track, 640 metres
Longtrack, 607 metres
Nippers   , 500 metres