Author Topic: Things you find at the dump  (Read 5106 times)

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Things you find at the dump
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:55:32 pm »
I stopped by the Darwin dump shop this afternoon and there is an RM400 roller fitted (roughly) with an XL/XR500 Honda motor.

It has a plastic tank and pressed type alloy swingarm so I'm guessing a 78?

The overall condition of the thing is such that it wasn't even worth taking, even if it was for nothing
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Things you find at the dump
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:20:52 pm »
I picked up a old f11 Kawasaki motor up at the dump in Yeppoon a couple of months ago. Dont know what I'm going to do with it  ::) But I bought it home ??? Darcy
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 08:15:51 pm »
I you want to get rid of it Darcy there is a guy here in Brissy doing one up as we speek. Graham Simenedes.
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 12:38:33 pm »
My best dump find was 84 CR 250 front end
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 03:37:36 pm »
There was a tip on the outer edge of the (outer) suburb I grew up in, and as groms, we would go purloin cast off old bikes of all kinds.  Mostly pretty crap, but we put some interesting mongrel bikes together over the years.

Better than old seized bikes were cast off old cars - some people were fond in those days of driving their out of rego heap to the tip and leaving it there, keys in ignition.  For years we hooned around the scrub in old FJs, EJs and Datsuns.  Even had an old cutoff section of Pacific Highway onto which an advanced driving school had poured oil for skills training.  Once they'd cleared off, we'd come out and do a Mad Max on the mile strip.  Nothing like spinning the steering wheel at fifty mph on the slick!!!

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 05:51:55 pm »
   As kids (12-15yrs) we used to do the same at the local dump-get old fj's /eh's etc and get em going ,we had a track out the back of the dump in amongst the gumtree's,one of the tricks was to get an fj bonnet and drag it around behind a car  with 2 or 3 kids on it-last one on wins  :o all the do-gooders would have a coronary these days -great times lucky to be alive i suppose  :D

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 09:15:21 pm »
Our local recycling shop often has a few nice little items. I picked up a rolling YZ125X in very good nick for $25 a few years back, plus a very good CR125M3 frame for $5. I wish I could remember what I did with that frame too.... shoulda kept it! The local wreckers used to have a heap of decent old stuff but a few expeditions by Vicco VMX guys took care of that (I think Jaimie Dixon and Albert Iskra cleaned em out in the end).

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 11:05:01 pm »
were cast off old cars - some people were fond in those days of driving their out of rego heap to the tip and leaving it there, keys in ignition.  For years we hooned around the scrub in old FJs, EJs and Datsuns. 

Our family built a vw beachbuggy(clock work orange was her name) from the dump,for beach combing back in the day.Took the body work off it - too hot - Sunbaked kids  :P
We'd go for miles up to the Pinnicales and drive around with tow bonnet through these eight wonder of the world.. :o
Well we did no harm for a bit of oil and fuel and a few trenchs..Oh yep they where the days  ;D

http://www.discoverwest.com.au/western_australia/pinnacles_desert.html
Best is in the West !!

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 03:57:15 pm »
Some of the thing that you find at the dump convince you that some people should not be allowed to have motorcycles.

This morning while doing my fortnightly tip run, I spied what looked like a bike on the scrap metal pile.

A bit of rumaging and this is what I came home with, a rather battered and beaten YZ80 (from the mid 70's I think, prefix 589);

The sad bit is that the idiot who dumped it, took to it with what must have been a large sledge hammer before consigning it to the tip.

Along with the damage visible to the engine and forks in the pictures, the frame has a couple of major bends in it, both shocks have been bent and snapped and both wheels have also been damaged.  I grabed it for the pricely sum of $20, because I alread have a very sad '82 model GT80 Yamaha and the engine looked like it is very similar. My GT80 has a broken gear selector in it and I might be able to savage that an a few other bit from the YZ.  The truely sad bit is it looks like it was a complete, and probably going concern (the engine turns over) before being deliberatly trashed.

CJ
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:59:44 pm by Colj500 »
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 04:22:20 pm »
WHAT A BONZA Colj500...
This thread title should be changed to......."Some people have no forkin idea"   >:(  >:(
Best is in the West !!

albrid-3

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 04:45:39 pm »
NOW YOU HAVE 2 SAD YAMAHA :(

Offline Big Al

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 05:47:59 pm »
Our local recycling shop often has a few nice little items. I picked up a rolling YZ125X in very good nick for $25 a few years back, plus a very good CR125M3 frame for $5. I wish I could remember what I did with that frame too.... shoulda kept it! The local wreckers used to have a heap of decent old stuff but a few expeditions by Vicco VMX guys took care of that (I think Jaimie Dixon and Albert Iskra cleaned em out in the end).

Hey Graeme!
You'd be talking about Greg at ACT Wreckers? I'm still tripping over the stuff we got from him. As for the YZ125X, I bought it off you I think along with another that someone was trying to convert to twin shock and drilled holes all over the place including every cylinder fin. Did I get them from you??

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 06:40:07 pm »
Hey Al, yes you and Jaimie sorted out Greg, buggered our supply of cheap bits!  :)

But I don't think you got the 125X from me, although to be honest I don't really remember now...

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 09:09:20 am »
WHAT A BONZA Colj500...
This thread title should be changed to......."Some people have no forkin idea"   >:(  >:(

Some of the thing that you find at the dump convince you that some people should not be allowed to have motorcycles.

This morning while doing my fortnightly tip run, I spied what looked like a bike on the scrap metal pile.

A bit of rumaging and this is what I came home with, a rather battered and beaten YZ80 (from the mid 70's I think, prefix 589);

The sad bit is that the idiot who dumped it, took to it with what must have been a large sledge hammer before consigning it to the tip.

Along with the damage visible to the engine and forks in the pictures, the frame has a couple of major bends in it, both shocks have been bent and snapped and both wheels have also been damaged.  I grabed it for the pricely sum of $20, because I alread have a very sad '82 model GT80 Yamaha and the engine looked like it is very similar. My GT80 has a broken gear selector in it and I might be able to savage that an a few other bit from the YZ.  The truely sad bit is it looks like it was a complete, and probably going concern (the engine turns over) before being deliberatly trashed.

CJ

Another great little piece of history that some forkwit has destroyed. It looks terminal, but it would be a shame if someone didn't have a go at fixing the little baby up. Between us all on here someone must have a few spares to help return it to a somewhat better state than it is currently in.  :) Well done Colj500 for not just leaving it at the tip.  ;D