Author Topic: Ohlins  (Read 4075 times)

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Ohlins
« on: February 29, 2012, 06:30:48 am »
I'm looking at a 90s model secondhand Ohlins shock to suit my RMX250    are these older Ohlins shocks much better than the OEM KYB of the day? And are they expensive to rebuild? Also where do you get springs from?

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Ohlins
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:43:21 am »
I'm looking at a 90s model secondhand Ohlins shock to suit my RMX250    are these older Ohlins shocks much better than the OEM KYB of the day? And are they expensive to rebuild? Also where do you get springs from?

Yep they are light year better than the KYB of the day, depending on how well they are set up. Like gaining 10 extra horsepower. Not that the KYB is a POS just the Ohlins is much more adjustable, depending on which version and the clickers actually do something. Service should be $200 if it doesn't need any major parts. Springs come from the Ohlins dealer, which is also another good reason to use Ohlins, there is no KYB dealer.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:01:08 am »
Chances are very high that the Ohlins will have a 46mm piston, which was pretty much the standard for a long time. This means that lots and lots of different springs will work on lots and lots of different shocks.

Websites like RaceTech's will give you the rate and dimensions for most bikes made since the mid 1980s, so you can work out which bikes have springs with the right rate for you. Its a slow and tedious process, but it can save you lots of money... (I've managed to avoid buying four different shock springs, simply by re-using springs off other bikes: The KDX175 spring went onto the 86 KX, the 86 KX's spring went onto the 88 KX, etc etc).

The mid 1980s Ohlins (I haven't been inside a newer one yet) are miles ahead of the Jap stuff of the same era - they're about equal with mid-1990s KYBs in terms of the technology and how well they're built.
Nothing weird or scary about how they're built either.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 05:54:21 pm »
Sounds good, if I can get it for the right price I'll do it
Thanks guys.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:43:19 pm »
If you can't get a shock it's also possible to update yours with a much better Ohlins piston and shim stack than original as Nathan says most use 46mm pistons. Or you could go for a gold valve with their own custom shim stack which will be a big improvement over standard also.

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 07:24:35 pm »
Were would you get a rebuild kit for Ohlins shocks?? 8) Darcy
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:11:09 pm »
Were would you get a rebuild kit for Ohlins shocks?? 8) Darcy
Steve Cramer Products. They don't come in kits, you need to specify which parts you need.

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:28:17 pm »
Is the Ohlins shock your looking at for an RMX?  What year is your RMX? 
I have all the parts and springs to rebuild and setup a Ohlins for you.

Cheers
Noel

The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 10:40:16 pm »
My RMX is a 89 model and the shocks off a 90 RM250 should be a straight swap,  if I get the Ohlins I'd be very interested but I only had my std shock rebuilt about 10hrs ago so unless I can get the Ohlins for the right price it proberly won't happen.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:41:59 pm by wmc83 »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 05:58:00 pm »
Most suspension places will be able to help you out with Ohlins bits.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 08:08:25 pm »
Well I got it, and apart from the preload adjusters looking like a gorilla tightened them up with a jackhammer it's in good shape. Only problem is my 5.7kg spring from the KYB is too wide to fit the Ohlins (it has a 4.9kg) so I'm up for a new spring. Are there any other supplyers that make springs to suit Ohlins shocks? I haven't tryed Ohlins yet but I guessing their expensive.

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 09:01:20 pm »
I'll have a look in my spring supply.  Apart from the preload adjusters does it need a rebuild?
So the 5.7 gives you the right sag and ride height?   
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline wmc83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 09:54:17 pm »
Im going to get it serviced and see how it goes it will proberly want new seals after 22 years!
My existing spring rate is auctualy 5.6kg and it gives me the correct amount of sag so if you have a spring to suit I'd be interested. My shock looks like the S46PRC that Ohlins still sell it has a steel body, piggy back res and rebound and comp adjusters if that helps oh and the springs about 57mm id and 290mm long (4.9kg).

Offline k2000x

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 08:18:16 am »
i might be interested in your old 5.7kg kyb spring