Author Topic: CR 480 Mikuni jetting  (Read 1342 times)

peter cr450

CR 480 Mikuni jetting
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:28:55 pm »
Hi, I actually have an 81 CR450 which unfortunately suffered a partial hot seizure last weekend :'(. Its the first time the bike has had a good run ( is an American import from Dead Dog). I have torn it down, and the damage luckily is minimal, bit of piston scuffing and a part split/ melted head gasket at the rear. However upon dis-assembly i found out it is actually fitted with a new sleeve and a 90mm piston kit, giving a capacity of 483cc. The motor looked brand new inside and must have been rebuilt in USA just before it came out here. It is also fitted with a 38mm Mikuni flatslide. It ran quite clean, and i ran it on Castrol TTS at 30:1 and unleaded fuel ( all looked quite nice and oily inside when i pulled it apart) I would guess though that it obviously must have been quite lean to get so hot and seize after a dozen or so fastish laps. It has a 310 main jet and a 40 pilot. Plug looks a nice cocoa ? colour. Any ideas on jetting for this monster would be appreciated  :) I have seen some other posts and wonder if maybe 320 ish might be a better bet on the main... Kind regards, Pete.

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: CR 480 Mikuni jetting
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:12:31 am »
Hi Pete,I would think the main jet is way too small.My yz400 is now running a 360 main and a 60 pilot just to stop it pinging and I think its still running a bit hot.Allways make sure you are running 98 octane premium unleaded.Also check your ignition isnt too advanced.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 10:32:52 am »
"melted head gasket at the rear" sounds like there is something else going on. Pics piston/cyl/head would help.
Not being a 450/480 annorak but I don't think that is even a oversize for that engine??
Jesus only loves two strokes

peter cr450

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 12:15:08 pm »
I have the bike running again now, although i have only slowly ridden up the driveway to test etc. I have put a 320 main jet in and have read plenty of posts now of which a lot say to use a 320 ish main and a 40 pilot for a cr480 or similar capacity bike, however one i read recommended a 380-390 main, which is way over what most others say... I am also replacing the reeds with a Boyesen set, as somebody in the states has played with the limiting plates, underbending the top centre plate and overbending the opposite lower centre plate, i presume to direct the fuel air towards the base of the barrel. I re-bent the plates back to standard, but will replace the unit at any rate. I also decked the top of the cylinder as the new liner was about 0.2mm below the top of the barrel, making it near impossible to clamp the head gasket correctly around the cylinder. i doubt this would have helped the head gasket at all !! The head was also re-surfaced to ensure it will seal correctly and i lightly sanded the standard combustion chamber to remove a few casting dags etc. As the barrel has been faced  i used 2 base gaskets when re-asembled, and the piston clearance seems to be around 1mm to the squish area in the head. I never measured the diameter of the head chamber, but this motor is a whole 5mm larger in bore over stock, and i also wonder if a cr480 has a cylinder head with a larger combustion chamber dia to suit, as mine still appears to have the stock 450 head which may also affect running. The piston kit i think is wiseco and is 90.0mm. there is a" w" in an oval circle cast into the base of the piston if that helps. I am also about to replace the crank seals as when putting the motor together i found gear oil on the crank weights when rotating the crank, so this also would not help matters, especially if the other side is leaking air into the crank... although all said, when i can actually manage to get it to kick over TDC ( i am only 65kgs and this beast has heaps of compression)it usually fires first kick and runs very sweet, and pulls very hard and clean. I was amazed really at how well it runs for an old bike, nothing like i was expecting from all the reports of the day, although it is a long way from a 431cc now! The bike looks like it has sat in a frozen barn for a good 20ish years, even the tyres have cold cracks and havent been in production since the 1980's so the local dealer says. I will look into posting some pics, i presume i have to host pics on a free site and link them back to this site.  Thanks for your help, regards Pete.

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 06:00:46 pm »
Good luck with it Pete,I think its better to start too rich and tune from there.Easier and cheaper buying a few jets than a rebuild.