Author Topic: EVO legal flatslide  (Read 14395 times)

maico police

Re: EVO legal flatslide
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2012, 09:09:57 pm »
Yeah. YZ's had rims on 'em as well..... :P

I like to personalise a bike. Sure. But as I've been told by engine tuners (the ones that do it for a living) "The factories spent a lot more on R&D than you could ever imagine, to make a harmonious creature. They wouldn't go to all the trouble of building and developing something and then just throw any old pipe on it."

Plus I get a kick outa seeing guys getting a push-start around the pits. :D

Simo63

« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2012, 09:18:51 pm »
Must be just us Husky riders then. To be legal at the nationals to ride against your '77 YZ400D Brent, I have to reduce the suspension on my standard '77 CR390, how is that fair?
K

Brent's YZ400D also has to have it's suspension lowered to meet the 9 inch rule apparently .. or so I've learnt in the "Simons legal for pre 78" thread. So no different to you Big K except to say that Brent is lowering his YZ from 250mm to 225mm and you will be lowering your Hoosky from a figure probably higher than that down to the same .... according to the 1% of scrutineers.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2012, 09:29:41 pm »
Yeah. YZ's had rims on 'em as well..... :P

I like to personalise a bike. Sure. But as I've been told by engine tuners (the ones that do it for a living) "The factories spent a lot more on R&D than you could ever imagine, to make a harmonious creature. They wouldn't go to all the trouble of building and developing something and then just throw any old pipe on it."

Plus I get a kick outa seeing guys getting a push-start around the pits. :D

Unfortunately the manufacturers do, the development team has a limited time and budget either to up grade or develop a complete new model. There is a deadline to finish field work for the frame and dyno for the engine, then field testing of thr completed bike starts. Field testing is 2 weeks to a month. Then the tooling and production line must be established. MX pipes are by no means optimised they just 'work' and 'fit' on the bike and cost less than XX dollars to manufacture.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2012, 09:31:49 pm »
Must be just us Husky riders then. To be legal at the nationals to ride against your '77 YZ400D Brent, I have to reduce the suspension on my standard '77 CR390, how is that fair? The rules are clear but grey at the same time and can be interpreted a thousand ways. I did get the answer and it went my way, so who's sooking now? Anyway the TM flatslide has been deemed legal so any further banter is moot. If we end up banging bars in EVO Brent I'll let you past, no unfair advantage that way.
K

77 YZ's have more than the specified allowable travel and I have no intention of changing it. It was built as a 77 Mike Bell Trans ama support class replica.As a freind of ours says " vintage mx is about recreating an era".My YZ doesnt have fatbars ,emulators or any of that other stuff that you mentioned but it does have over 229mm of travel which is why I dont bother with the nationals , to me its the best that I can do for the period which s what I aim for.
But this topic isnt about pre 78 its about flatslide carbs in EVO and its not about you having advantage over me , if you are going to let me past you can let the others past too.No advantage that way.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:33:30 pm by motomaniac »

maico police

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2012, 09:34:36 pm »
I think I'll go with my guy all the same thanks mate. ;)

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2012, 10:03:39 pm »
Seems like everybody has the "cabin crazies" and are all bustin' to get racing again...  ;D

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2012, 10:31:24 pm »
Jesus Mont, that seatcover belongs with the swingarm of the gods........I need to go and have a panadol. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2012, 10:47:45 pm »
Are you sure that seat cover on the 250H is "period correct" Ross?
K

Weeelllll no but the front end's off a yz 250, the motor.....yep yz 250, carby.....yep a stocker, swingarm, check. YZ. I haven't got inside the barrel with an angle grinder and turned the ports into man holes in some insane attempt at getting more power than the ample suspension will carry or frigged around with aftermarket ignitions, carbies or pipes that'll turn it into a light-switch or just make it run like shit. It starts first kick every time warm and 3rd cold.

But I do hang my head in shame about that seat cover..... :(

(The stock muffler's being re-built  ;))

Are you waiting on the Montesa tank stickers??

kaw440

« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2012, 10:55:05 pm »
Flat slide , round slide, really who gives a @*^K go train get fit and no carby will compete against that now move on guys is it really that important at club level.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2012, 11:16:34 pm »
Are you sure that seat cover on the 250H is "period correct" Ross?
K

Weeelllll no but the front end's off a yz 250, the motor.....yep yz 250, carby.....yep a stocker, swingarm, check. YZ. I haven't got inside the barrel with an angle grinder and turned the ports into man holes in some insane attempt at getting more power than the ample suspension will carry or frigged around with aftermarket ignitions, carbies or pipes that'll turn it into a light-switch or just make it run like shit. It starts first kick every time warm and 3rd cold.

But I do hang my head in shame about that seat cover..... :(

(The stock muffler's being re-built  ;))

Hey Ross,
Where do you get those jiggers that hold the back wheels down? Are they really common and I just don't get out enough or are they your design?
Cheers,
Pete.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2012, 11:22:06 pm »
So far after 4 pages of shite this topic has gone absolutely nowhere other than to start picking the Evo class to pieces... to save another 4 pages and some time in our lives that we'll never get back why not ask the question to the right person..  I.E. Dave Tanner.
Send him a pm like he suggested in the 'Simons for pre 78' thread.  Too easy :)

No one is picking on the EVO class as it was intended to be , but I am stating the case ( looks like the other girls have gone home) against what it is becoming. You for one, since you have been around since its beginnings ,should realize that it was intended to be a class where pre80 bikes and post 80 bikes which had not advanced past the basic pre80 technology could compete together.The post 79 RM's , CR's,YZ's,IT's KTM'S ,Maico's and Husky's where allowed to "go back" with the pre 80's rather than be in with the pre 85's .Good formula until someone whats to use something on their bike that was never around in the pre 80 era.As I already said the argument for flatslide mikuni's made from 82 on could be used for Simons forks and cartridge fork kits that were also never around in the pre 80 era.

Flat slide , round slide, really who gives a @*^K go train get fit and no carby will compete against that now move on guys is it really that important at club level.
I got a real simple answer for that- some of the guys who don't turn up anymore.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2012, 11:35:41 pm »
Pete you can buy those tie down like that, they make all sorts or hooks, belts and retaining webs now for front and rear use.

Best ones i seen are the front that just lock up onto the axle.  works but still spins me out that there going to fall over.  I dont understand them, but my eyes say they work.....
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2012, 11:50:34 pm »
So far after 4 pages of shite this topic has gone absolutely nowhere other than to start picking the Evo class to pieces... to save another 4 pages and some time in our lives that we'll never get back why not ask the question to the right person..  I.E. Dave Tanner.
Send him a pm like he suggested in the 'Simons for pre 78' thread.  Too easy :)

No one is picking on the EVO class as it was intended to be , but I am stating the case ( looks like the other girls have gone home) against what it is becoming. You for one, since you have been around since its beginnings ,should realize that it was intended to be a class where pre80 bikes and post 80 bikes which had not advanced past the basic pre80 technology could compete together.The post 79 RM's , CR's,YZ's,IT's KTM'S ,Maico's and Husky's where allowed to "go back" with the pre 80's rather than be in with the pre 85's .Good formula until someone whats to use something on their bike that was never around in the pre 80 era.As I already said the argument for flatslide mikuni's made from 82 on could be used for Simons forks and cartridge fork kits that were also never around in the pre 80 era.

Yeah basically Evo was designed for the last of the vintage bikes that still look like vintage bikes to compete against each other on a fairly level playing field.. Air cooled, drum brakes, non linkage suspension bikes. Originally the rules were air cooled, drum brakes, twin shocks but after the first year the rules were changed to allow Yamaha's to compete.. :)

maico police

« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2012, 07:13:16 am »
Hey Pete. I bought them from Ballards yonks ago. I guess they'd still have them. If you can clamp the front wheel then one of these on the back is all you need. If I'm only taking one bike I use two of these with no tie-downs. It's safer to pull down on a tyre than suspension...... ;)

No tank stickers for me. They only ever seem to last a couple of laps before I'm shredding them. I even bought some newer knee-braces (mine were off The Arc) hoping that would solve the problem but alas, no.

So now I let my seats do the talkin'....... :D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:20:49 am by Mont »

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2012, 09:30:26 am »
Yep, this "girl" is going home now, no point talking for the sake of it. All done, question answered.
K