Author Topic: EVO legal flatslide  (Read 14392 times)

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: EVO legal flatslide
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 02:28:02 pm »
Fat bars aren't cool on vintage as they look wrong. Are they actually banned?

maico police

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 03:42:39 pm »
Get rid of EVO I reckon. Pre 78, pre 80, pre 85 etc. Certify carry over models (RM 't' models etc). It'd save all those yz h models having their front ends being chopped off at the same time. Sure people with models from the early end of the time period will cry foul but they will about something else anywho (bumpy bits, jumps, people going quicker than them for no apparent reason other than them being better riders.....). End all this madness now.  ???

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 04:38:30 pm »
Firstly Brent, a TM Mikuni is not a Suzuki item, it was just fitted to some of their bikes, they were fitted to the 1984 Husky CR250 as well, so they are "euro" if that's what you want to call them. It's no different than swapping a worn out Bing with a VM Mikuni. I don't get the bit where you say that no EVO bikes were fitted with them, therefore they're not legal. No EVO bike was fitted with a Blue Magnum and only some USA spec KTM's were fitted with Lectrons, but they're OK? Any I don't care anymore, as I can run the TM with no issues as to eligibility. Yey! And that's all I wanted to know in the first place.
K
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:39:46 pm by bigk »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 05:15:25 pm »
Get rid of EVO I reckon. Pre 78, pre 80, pre 85 etc. Certify carry over models (RM 't' models etc). It'd save all those yz h models having their front ends being chopped off at the same time. Sure people with models from the early end of the time period will cry foul but they will about something else anywho (bumpy bits, jumps, people going quicker than them for no apparent reason other than them being better riders.....). End all this madness now.  ???
Ha ha you guys are unreal! I've been racing Evo since its inception in '96 with never a drama and never seen a protest.. Now all of a sudden it's too hard and we need to get rid of it!?
Ha ha ha you guys crack me up.. Talk about a storm in a teacup!

maico police

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 05:40:02 pm »
I wasn't being that serious John. I'll leave these arguments to the guys banging bars.
I'm just enjoying riding my bikes new and old as they left the factory (with minor tinkering)  ;)

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 05:45:38 pm »
Spot on Johnny, it's a great class, here in Victoria we can run Evo bikes in Viper and Evo bikes in the VCM, and that gives you 12 race meetings a year, generally every two weeks through the winter, bloody fantastic.

There is a good mix of bikes at the pointy end of the field, the later Yam's, the last of the twin shock Hondas/Suzukis, and a sprinkling of Huskies and Maicos.

And Evo bikes are not too hard to find for a reasonable price, although like everything you can spend big bucks if you want that special bike with heaps of bling.

As for Fox/Simm' forks, fully adjustable shocks, latest design expansion chambers, modern ignition systems with advance curve, modern tyres, modified reed valve inlets, wide foot pegs, flat slide carbies (of the period Of course ::)), fat bars, shock absorbing bars, titanium bolts (to balance out all the pizzas  ::)) and a bagful of blingy billet parts and even gripper of seats, and a heap of other things that I can only dream about, they are all all quite happily within the MA Evo definition and how the class runs on most weekends in lots of places throughout Australia.

Overall Evo is a good class, there is something for everybody, there are always plenty of people fronting up to the starting gate, and the big tall fellow from Shepparton way that seems to win most VCM 250 Evo races is on what looks like a pretty standard 79 Honda, I'm smilin' that we only have 3/4 lap races because if it were 5 laps he would be lapping a lot of us and that's hard to explain to the wife on her inevitable "cost benefit analysis", she smiles when I seem to spend every spare moment out in the shed or on eBay tracking down that elusive axle spacer, she says my motto must be "best bike last"  ;D

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 05:50:55 pm »
I'm just enjoying riding my bikes new and old as they left the factory (with minor tinkering)  ;)
Same here Ross..

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2012, 07:43:10 pm »
Are you sure that seat cover on the 250H is "period correct" Ross?
K

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2012, 08:01:59 pm »
Firstly Brent, a TM Mikuni is not a Suzuki item, it was just fitted to some of their bikes, they were fitted to the 1984 Husky CR250 as well, so they are "euro" if that's what you want to call them. It's no different than swapping a worn out Bing with a VM Mikuni. I don't get the bit where you say that no EVO bikes were fitted with them, therefore they're not legal. No EVO bike was fitted with a Blue Magnum and only some USA spec KTM's were fitted with Lectrons, but they're OK? Any I don't care anymore, as I can run the TM with no issues as to eligibility. Yey! And that's all I wanted to know in the first place.

Why do bikes use flat slide carbs nowadays? Because they are better than the older round slide carbs.They are new technology compared to the previous round slides.
When were Mikuni flatside carbs introduced? In the 80's .
Why do bikes mostly come with single shock linkage suspension thesedays?
Because they mostly work better than the old twinshocks that predated them?
When were single shock bikes introduced.In the 80's.
The bike in question is a old technology bike made in the 80's when most other bikes were made with single shocks and linkages
The was originally in VIPER racing at least pre78,pre80and pre85 class's.At some stage an new class was decided upon that would allow old technology pre85 bikes with twinshocks to race with the other twinshock bikes in the pre 80 class.
ALL IS GOOD and I was a supporter of EVO racing.I wondered why MrBahnsy was carryon about why we have an EVO class in the first place?
Now we have a situation where someone<you /others< want to retrofit your old technology bike with new tech parts and still be allowed to race with the other old tech bikes that never used the item in question because it wasnt around at the time . It might have been  around when your bike was made because by default your bike is the last of the old tech bikes in the new tech era.
Great logic there! Very fair.
The EVO class isnt supposed to be the pre85 twinshock class but thats the way its going and you just stretched the gap between the pre 85 twin shocks and the older 78/79 pre 80 bikes that little bit further.

BTW Magnum carbs were to be used as standard equipment on a US model,I can't recall which one or if it actually eventuated but thats no matter , they were available when all bikes where EVO spec unlike the Mikuni's which were only available when most bikes , except yours , were single shock.

I now see Bahny's logic. Let pre 78 bikes race against each other with whatever was available at the time , go back to pre80 and get all the 78/79 models back out there and let the pre 85 guys race and use whatever was available back then like they did back in the day instead of winging about pitting a twinshock bike against a single.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2012, 08:10:03 pm »

Overall Evo is a good class, there is something for everybody, there are always plenty of people fronting up to the starting gate, and the big tall fellow from Shepparton way that seems to win most VCM 250 Evo races is on what looks like a pretty standard 79 Honda,

Yes it is Micheal but the numbers are down from the past and perhaps you haven't heard from any past members who have become disenchanted with the way things are going.
That 79 Honda was certainly EVO legal but definitey not standard. He 's one of those guns that would probably still win if he was on an aggie bike .

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2012, 08:22:34 pm »
I've just been advised that a number of EVO bikes were running at S.A nationals last year with TM flatslides and all were deemed legal to compete in the EVO class, so the precident has been set. I guess this storm in a teacup was for nothing really.
K

It's like the tax dept. isn't it ? If you don't get the answer that you want you just hangup and try again ,keep doing that till you get the answer that you were looking for .Works everytime.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:35:25 pm by motomaniac »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2012, 08:37:45 pm »
So far after 4 pages of shite this topic has gone absolutely nowhere other than to start picking the Evo class to pieces... to save another 4 pages and some time in our lives that we'll never get back why not ask the question to the right person..  I.E. Dave Tanner.
Send him a pm like he suggested in the 'Simons for pre 78' thread.  Too easy :)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2012, 08:47:32 pm »
Must be just us Husky riders then. To be legal at the nationals to ride against your '77 YZ400D Brent, I have to reduce the suspension on my standard '77 CR390, how is that fair? The rules are clear but grey at the same time and can be interpreted a thousand ways. I did get the answer and it went my way, so who's sooking now? Anyway the TM flatslide has been deemed legal so any further banter is moot. If we end up banging bars in EVO Brent I'll let you past, no unfair advantage that way.
K

maico police

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2012, 08:49:28 pm »
Are you sure that seat cover on the 250H is "period correct" Ross?
K

Weeelllll no but the front end's off a yz 250, the motor.....yep yz 250, carby.....yep a stocker, swingarm, check. YZ. I haven't got inside the barrel with an angle grinder and turned the ports into man holes in some insane attempt at getting more power than the ample suspension will carry or frigged around with aftermarket ignitions, carbies or pipes that'll turn it into a light-switch or just make it run like shit. It starts first kick every time warm and 3rd cold.

But I do hang my head in shame about that seat cover..... :(

(The stock muffler's being re-built  ;))
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:55:46 pm by Mont »

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2012, 08:58:28 pm »
And the black rims?