Author Topic: New PE Owner  (Read 1939 times)

mcchaddy

New PE Owner
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:31:07 pm »
Hi All,

I'm new here and have just recently bought a 1977 PE 250B. I plan to restore it, not sure if I'm going race/ride it. It is in very good condition and very original. I bought it off a guy who won it in a Marlboro cigarette competition in 1977(it was 2nd prize). You can see it has different side cover decals, it has the marlboro logo on them. He looked after it really well. It still has the original front tyre/rims, sprockets, cables, speedo(4900k's). Tank has small ding, seat has a few cracks, rear guard is broken, front guard is not genuine and its missing the very hard to find front number plate and headlight protector. Anyway, it will give me something to do.

here are some photo's

Any people on here from the rockhampton/yeppoon area. I spent a lot of the late 70's - mid 80's riding around there and 5 rocks. Had a PE175X, IT400, RM400, TS185 and DT125 over the years.

Cheers, Michael.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:46:55 pm by mcchaddy »

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New PE Owner
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:24:18 pm »
Thats a good bike, it still has the speedo, original tail light, muffler, yellow fuel cap, bash plate....all those parts are the hard to get bits, you can cut up a oval number board for the front plate, Vintage Suzuki has the plastics but NOS does come up from time to time (picked up a NOS rear guard and tail light last year for $200...same as RM but has 3 holes in it)...most other parts are available from Suzuki or Ebay....great bike...I had one in the day and have 2 now....I'll be riding it on Saturday at the QVMX meet.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:28:47 pm »
That's a gem, very original. Might have to ad one of them to the stable one day :)

mainline

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 07:59:36 pm »
cool, are you going to re-do the marlboro logos?

mcchaddy

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:26:22 pm »
cool, are you going to re-do the marlboro logos?

Yes I hope too. I'm trying get a picture off the guy I bought it from. I not sure they actually had the word Marlboro on them or not.

Offline Short Stuff

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 06:02:05 pm »

That's a good looking jigger.  Having just 'restored' a '79 PE, I've got an idea what you're in for.  You are starting from a good base, though.

I noticed today that there was a NOS headlight guard on EBay.  Might be worth a look.

Good luck.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 09:36:22 pm »
Nice old unit, restore it for race and ride it like you stole it!
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

eyspy

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 09:26:33 pm »
Great bike, cut my teeth on those many years ago, and want another one right now.

Offline tr3nt

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 03:59:38 pm »
Hey Michael, welcome to the forum. Are you still in the Rockhampton/Yeppoon area? Im in rockhampton and between my father and I we have a few rm's and pe's. Yeppoon mx club are trying to get an evolution class going. Would be good to see you out there.

Looks like a great start to a resto and look forward to seeing your progress