Author Topic: Simons Forks and Fox Forx  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Simons Forks and Fox Forx
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:20:46 am »
I see so many sets of these forks for sale and the auction/ad states that you simply install your steering stem and run them.  Did all bikes come with the same triple-clamp offset prior to '81-'82?
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Simons Forks and Fox Forx
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:34:16 am »
no of course not but all Fox fork clamps are the same off set.The difference's between the clamps for different models is to suit the different stems stem and placement of the stops.To say that any stem will "just pressin" to any other model from that tme is false.
Simons forks are also the same off set for all clamps but Simons were also sold without triples for some models.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:06:56 pm by motomaniac »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 12:04:14 pm »
I see so many sets of these forks for sale and the auction/ad states that you simply install your steering stem and run them.  Did all bikes come with the same triple-clamp offset prior to '81-'82?

Yeah it is a bit optimistic so say you just pop in your steering stem as they are all quite different and you may have to bush the bottom and top diameters or even make a custom one depending on what you are fitting them to. You also have to consider your steering lock stops which may also need an inventive solution to get enough lock or stop you going too far. Simons used to supply specific steering stems for popular models, another option is boring your own clamps/
formerly Marc.com

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 12:09:31 pm »
That was a bad sentence on my part.  What I meant to say was that the sellers state that you put in a proper stem for your make and model and then go racing.  I was wondering if using the same offset triples for many different bikes would have a negative (or positive) effect on the turning and handling of that bike?

A guy gets all excited buying a set of Simons, that were on a Yamaha and puts them on his Honda.  What are the chances he will be disappointed in his expensive hop-up?
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 12:31:34 pm »
Yes but as pointed out putting your proper stem in a set of triples from another model isnt always a simple job and there s the stops to consider as well. Also handle bar position.
As far as off set go's the FOX and Simons are on par or tighter than most bikes from the era( they hve to be as they are usually adding travel and length to the fork) , so you will get similar or better turning than most bikes.Just dont go puttung a 12" travel USD set of Simons on a pre 78 bike  unless you want to go for the EasyRider style.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 06:47:58 pm »
Just get a set of 38mm Maico forks and paint 'em yellow. There's not a whole lot of difference.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 06:49:39 pm »
The downside of the Fox triples is that the bar mounts are offset rearwards which cramps my ride position. Unfortunately if non-offset clamps could be made then the bars wouldn't clear the top of the forks which have to be extended above the top clamp. A bit of a nuisance.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!