Author Topic: Simons for pre 78?  (Read 54764 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Simons for pre 78?
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2012, 12:37:53 pm »
-btw the 80 cr250 was very similar to 78-79 but a centerport and some were built in US. ....

yer my CR's are like that

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2012, 12:56:00 pm »
As soon as you make it 10.5 inches travel, all the 75 and some 76 bikes will go into the scrapheap, what you've picked up at one end you've thrown away at the other and when you leave out certain models you will have those owners spitting the dummy....all you have done is moved the goal posts. The rules as they stand now are pretty simple and the main objective is to showcase the beginning of long travel. At the end of the day, a good rider will win on anything, everyones forgetting the main objectives.....having fun weather its restoring, collecting, racing, talking shit and/or all of the above. I personally love the pre78's, there still a real vintage bike with that little bit more suspension to make it easier on our bodies......anyone who hasnt riden a pre78 do so if you get the oppotunity....you will be very surprised. cheers big ears.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2012, 01:09:29 pm »
As soon as you make it 10.5 inches travel, all the 75 and some 76 bikes will go into the scrapheap, what you've picked up at one end you've thrown away at the other and when you leave out certain models you will have those owners spitting the dummy....all you have done is moved the goal posts. The rules as they stand now are pretty simple and the main objective is to showcase the beginning of long travel. At the end of the day, a good rider will win on anything, everyones forgetting the main objectives.....having fun weather its restoring, collecting, racing, talking shit and/or all of the above. I personally love the pre78's, there still a real vintage bike with that little bit more suspension to make it easier on our bodies......anyone who hasnt riden a pre78 do so if you get the oppotunity....you will be very surprised. cheers big ears.
I agree with that.. you're never going to please all the people all the time.
Pre 78 works fine as it is and so does Evo!!

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2012, 01:16:46 pm »
I agree with that.. you're never going to please all the people all the time.
Except 9 out of 10 pre 78 bikes are not legal without alterations from the original specs and almost all aftermarket gear is outside the rules .So what you end up with is a 75/76 class when hardly any 75/76 models are actually out there.At the end of the 77 season everyone was running 10-10.5".As it is now the EVO class has the trickest bikes , pre78 is almost a stock class, thats why IMO why there aren't more pre78 bikes out here.People like to build up bikes either a stock originals or as trick as possible, pre78 doesn't allow that as it stands.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:20:15 pm by motomaniac »

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2012, 01:51:13 pm »
You need to come to QLD moto......plenty of trick pre78's up here...we have nearly evey color/shade of bike made back then racing.... std....modified.......theres a bloke up here with a 1975 MX250B that would smoke most riders on newer bikes....your a bit of a scratched record on this subject.....sure there are some people with dodgy parts on there bike but thats in every class.....dont just pick on pre78.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2012, 02:23:49 pm »
You need to come to QLD moto......plenty of trick pre78's up here...we have nearly evey color/shade of bike made back then racing.... std....modified.......theres a bloke up here with a 1975 MX250B that would smoke most riders on newer bikes....your a bit of a scratched record on this subject.....sure there are some people with dodgy parts on there bike but thats in every class.....dont just pick on pre78.

I'm concerned about pre 78 because its rules are not actually written for our pre 78 class, they are copied from a class in the US an applied to our pre 78 class, and very poorly.On the other hand our EVO class is pretty straight forward with the rules and isn't so restrictive that you cant build the best bike using the best parts that were available at the time.

Who is the guy on the MX250 b ? There was some out of stater at CD4 on a C and he was absolutely flying.
Post any up coming race series or rce's in QLD and I'll think about it if it doesn't conflict with our series down here.

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2012, 03:28:16 pm »
.. you're never going to please all the people all the time.
[/quote]
     The only reason that pre '78 & Evo class rules work fine is because everybody turns a blind eye and they don't want to upset the applecart by protesting at a title meeting. If you protest, then everybody thinks you are an arsehole in a sport that is supposed to be all about fun. The '77 model Yamaha YZ250D & 400D are probably the most common pre '78 class bikes and they have 250mm of wheel travel (measured at the sales brochure), but I doubt if anyone puts a travel limiting spacer in their monoshock to bring it under the 9 inch travel limit. Same thing in Evo class, where I see guys using YZ490 forks (off a linkage bike) on Maico 490s  ;).
     I have posted here before that I wouldn't comment on rules again, because I am too lazy to put pen to paper and put in a submission that will most likely be rejected anyway. But I just can't help myself. The pre '78 rules should have a 10 inch travel limit, which would then allow pretty much every '77 model bike without having to modify them backwards. I think that Evo class rules should allow any conventional forks that came off a bike originally fitted with drum brakes. But I also think that Evo class rules should allow the use of any aircooled motor ..... full stop. I don't agree with fitting twinshocks to a single shock bike, like the Dutch twinshock guys do, but I think that you should be allowed to use any frame that was originally manufactured with twin shocks, fitted with any aircooled motor. Don't the Pom's use similar twinshock class rules to this a the VMXDN at Farleigh and it seems to work ok ?             
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:40:03 pm by Husky500evo »

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2012, 03:46:15 pm »
No more than (250mm) 10 inches of travel, 38mm forks max and a separate class for 1975 bikes.  ;)

Oh and no flat-slide carbs.  (Just had to throw on some petrol.)  ;D
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2012, 05:18:21 pm »

[/quote]
     The only reason that pre '78 & Evo class rules work fine is because everybody turns a blind eye and they don't want to upset the applecart by protesting at a title meeting. If you protest, then everbody thinks you are an arsehole in a sport that is supposed to be all about fun.        
[/quote]

::)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2012, 05:27:31 pm »

I don't think most people could be bothered protesting someone if they had '82 YZ490 forks instead of '81 YZ465 forks in Evo or 10" travel instead of 9" in pre '78.
The advantages are basically nil and the race results will be exactly the same either way.
I rode my RM250B with 10" travel then restricted it to 9" and couldn't feel any difference at all.. our tracks are not very demanding for it to make a difference.
My pre '78 bikes are trick with plenty of period aftermarket bits and i'd be more than happy for someone to protest them just to prove a point because i know they're not going to find anything that's not legal

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2012, 05:39:14 pm »
Pre '78 would have to be my favourite era in VMX racing. The bikes have enough suspension to be comfortable on everything except very rough tracks. My only gripe with pre '78, other than poorly written rules, is when an older guy that doesn't race anymore decides to put the local young gun "A" grader on his bikes for one or two big events for the year. The younger guy probably has no connection with the older bikes and all I think this proves is that a younger fast guy will beat an older slow guy, no matter what age the bike is. This may sound like sour grapes ( because it has happened to me before), but I think it is bad for the sport . Because there are less rider numbers in pre '78 classes, there is unlikely to be rider age group divisions, so older guys that are passionate about the bikes are probably going to travel a long way only to have their arses kicked by some young bloke who couldn't care less about the bikes. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:23:22 pm by Husky500evo »

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2012, 05:40:14 pm »
.. you're never going to please all the people all the time.

but I think that you should be allowed to use any frame that was originally manufactured with twin shocks, fitted with any aircooled motor. Don't the Pom's use similar twinshock class rules to this a the VMXDN at Farleigh and it seems to work ok ?             
[/quote]

So that would be building a bike that didnt actually exist back in the day ? I only want to build bikes that did actually exist back in the day.

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2012, 06:09:20 pm »

I don't think most people could be bothered protesting someone if they had '82 YZ490 forks instead of '81 YZ465 forks in Evo or 10" travel instead of 9" in pre '78.
The advantages are basically nil and the race results will be exactly the same either way.
So why can't the rules be written to cover this ? I think that most people would agree that YZ490 forks (or any other forks that came from a bike with drum brakes) offer no real advantage over YZ465H forks. I just find it a hassle to limit the travel on my '77 model bikes down from how they were manufactured, while plenty of other people don't even bother. 

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2012, 06:33:09 pm »

So that would be building a bike that didnt actually exist back in the day ? I only want to build bikes that did actually exist back in the day.
There are already plenty of bikes out there racing that didn't exist back in the day (that are also mostly legal by the Evo class rules). Evo class is not a history lesson. It is a technology based class with different year model bikes that probably never raced against each other back in the day. Everyone seems to have their own idea of what a HL500 should look like, while others have DR motors in RM400 frames etc. But the coolest Evo bike that I have seen, that never existed back in the day, would have to be Simon Healy's Husky 510 in the A5 Kawasaki frame. To me, bikes like this make the sport more interesting.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2012, 06:49:45 pm »
I have 2 pre 78 bikes both have more 9" of fork travel both are factory standard , I will not modify them and if someone needs to protest me because they think that's the reason I beat them its a very hollow victory. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle