Author Topic: VJMC Mount Tamborine 2008 Rally.  (Read 2281 times)

mx250

VJMC Mount Tamborine 2008 Rally.
« on: March 18, 2008, 09:39:58 am »
For you guys lucky enough to live in God's country  ;D, you might like to get along to the VJMC Rally at Mount Tamborine.

"The 2008 VJMC National rally will be held over March 28th-30th at Mount Tamborine Showground in Queensland, close to the Gold Coast and Surfers Paradise in beautiful sub tropical Queensland.

The VJMC Rally always has an outstanding register of machines, featuring many of the top quality restorations and rarest examples of classic Japanese machines to be found anywhere is promoted as a motorcycling event. VJMC members from all over Australia attend the VJMC Rally each year with prizes awarded for the longest ride to the rally etc
"

The VJMC has a preoccupation in Jap Roadies but I'm sure you might be able to display your Jap VMX'er if you are inclined. Talk nicely to them or join up, $30. Maybe a little cross pollination could work in the interest of both groups  8).

Maybe you are like me and have an interest in 'Jap Crappers' of the period. I have an RD250LC, GSX1100 and the YDS5.

Maybe you might just enjoy a ride up into the Hinterland, gawk at a few gleaming bikes, talk crap to fellow sufferers, have the obligatory steak/sausage sandwich and bad coffee, and wander home.

And think of me  ;D; I wish I could be there but.....ya gotta make your choices  ::) :P.

http://www.vjmc.org.au/

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: VJMC Mount Tamborine 2008 Rally.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 10:11:07 am »
sounds good!
i briefly attended the last one they had up at tamborine, can't remember whether it was 06 or 07? but there sure were some nice bikes on display, heaps of parts at the swap meet, and a pretty relaxed atmosphere to boot. there were a couple of trailies present, i remember a pretty neat DT1 but i mostly enjoyed checking out the level of detail some of these folk go to for a restoration. impressive!
thanks for the link MX...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 10:23:20 am by vandy010 »
"flat bickie"

mx250

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:39:23 am »
.... and a pretty relaxed atmosphere to boot. .....checking out the level of detail some of these folk go to for a restoration.

The ones I've attended have had an exceptional and relaxed atomsphere; 'rare as' restos, big dollar 'open cheque 'restos, 'daily riders' with an abundance of petina, and 17yo's with their low budget 'first bike, first resto, proud as punch' restos. All admired, feted, appreciated and encouraged equally  8).

And if Queensland is 'God's Country' as the Banana benders would have us believe, then Mount Tamborine must be Gods Garden with His favourite road hand picked and hand carved into the grain of the country  ;D.

Ideal for an old SP370, DT400, RT1 or such to tool through  ;) 8), or an LC to get up and boogie  ;D.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 06:22:50 pm »
Thanks for this; I'd heard a rumour about this meet but this confirms it nicely.
I live at the bottom of the mountain so I'll definitely attend this one.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 11:31:39 pm »
Yeah cheers for that. Too close to home not to have a gander! I will try to remember the camera.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 12:02:06 pm »
I had a squizz on Saturday arvo and took some photos. It's a pretty big turn out with many people camping for the weekend.
Quite a bit of interstate stuff too.
Let's look at the very small contingent of VMXers (I'm pretty sure I've seen these beasties at Nudgee track):
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 12:10:21 pm »
Some of the turn out:

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 12:34:48 pm »
And if Queensland is 'God's Country' as the Banana benders would have us believe, then Mount Tamborine must be Gods Garden with His favourite road hand picked and hand carved into the grain of the country  ;D.

Ideal for an old SP370, DT400, RT1 or such to tool through  ;) 8), or an LC to get up and boogie  ;D.
[/quote]

In case anyone wonders why that road from Tamborine Village to the top is so much fun on a bike, it is a constant gradient - hence the great bends - as a safety feature for logging trucks so they could stay in one gear the whole way. I'm proud of that road (and the other roads built the same way in the Canungra area) because the people who thought of the constant gradient idea way back in the early 1900s, designed those logging roads and managed their construction are my rellies.
David Lahey
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 01:00:47 pm »
I agree whole heartedly Feetup, but I'm a biased Maroon local.
My whole life I've been up and down that mountain and I still get the warm and fuzzies every trip.
I'm thrilled to bits my boy also loves the vibe of the place.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 01:29:45 pm »
well i just got back from my nice sunday bike ride up the mountain {XT600} and what a top day for it. sorry i ain't got no pics for you guys as my digital camera is on the blink.
a nice collection of old bridgstone 100s,pristine tt500e,xs650,DS5,plenty of kwaka 9's, a few heap of sh!t honda's,zooks etc and i'll stand by my earlier comment about the level of detail some of these people go to, very impressive! and there was a few wearing thier full aged patina. i did a quick swoop of the swapmeet but didn't find too much dirt bike stuff but it was a good showing all the same with some friendly characters and gear.
the RM,s in your pic wombat belong to a mate of mine and his woman. the little rm125b with the #322 plate, they actually found an early pic of ghaston rahier {speel check} from way back whenever and he ran the same number.
a top day and a snag on a bit of bread with onion and sauce was only a buck fifty.
so i had 2.
cheers  :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 03:20:02 pm by vandy010 »
"flat bickie"

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 02:35:05 pm »
I didn't see the swap meet bit, damn it.

mx250