Author Topic: Cagiva WMX500 roller on Marks  (Read 2287 times)

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
Cagiva WMX500 roller on Marks
« on: January 25, 2012, 12:06:48 pm »
Was looking for something different and came across this.  Although he doesn't what year it is, it could be an 84, the first water cooled open class bike, wouldn't think there'd be many of them around

It's probably missing a few bits, but does have all the major stuff and at about $2k landed, comparable to a 84 CR or KX, maybe I could justify it....  It would be cool to turn up with one of these  8)

For sale is an ultra-rare Cagiva WMX 500MX two-stroke monster engine. From what I've read, less than 500 of these bikes were imported into the US. Single cylinder, water-cooled, Italian. Rated over 55HP from Cagiva. Would be incredible for a dirtbike or street bike project, shifter kart or something else? Research on this Cagiva model and Cagiva/Aermacchi history shows this engine will bolt almost directly into a Harley-Davidson/AMF SS175, SS250, SX175, or SX250 frame. It was my intention to install this in a titled SS250 frame and make a killer two-stroke Harley hot rod. This would be incredible in practically any street bike, dirt bike, trike, quad, or other frame that you have the imagination to envision and create! Unfortunately I've lost time and resources for this project...

This sale includes the entire engine in running condition as well as a collection of spare parts. The engine is extremely clean and in great shape, and includes a Dellorto 38mm carb with K&N filter kit, Wiseco .020 oversize piston, Motoplat ignition, Cagiva expansion chamber, original radiators and full coolant system - literally everything to run except a kickstart lever. When I purchased the bike, the motor ran extremely well with good compression and the bike pulled hard (wheelies!) in all gears. I removed the engine when I started considering using it for another project and removed the carb and head to have a look around... inspection showed a small hairline crack around piston intake side skirt so I started gathering hard-to-find parts for a full rebuild. Spare parts include a clutch basket and clutch plates, full set of transmission gears, kickstart gear, shifter parts, gasket set, spare Motoplat ignition coil, reed cage with reeds, NOS Wiseco .020 oversize piston kit, and other parts that I'm sure to forget.

I have the rolling frame for the bike which includes the rare desert racer 5+ gallon gas tank, Cagiva seat (needs recovering), NOS red bark buster handlebar covers never installed, body plastics, air box, Ohlins external reservoir rear shock, Marzocchi 44mm front forks, Brembo front brake master cylinder and caliper with stainless steel line, front and rear Akront aluminum rims with tires (front rim has a crack in it but held air and rode well), rear swing arm assembly but no rear brakes. It could really simplify an install of the motor to have a frame to chop up and weld into something else, not to mention being able to use the Brembo front brake setup, the Ohlins rear shock, handlebars, etc.

I will be assembling the spare parts together for pictures and to update the list of what's included.

Asking $500 for everything, firm. The next stop is eBay... Email if interested. Thanks!

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/2772376868.html

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Cagiva WMX500 roller on Marks
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 06:32:40 pm »
i like those 500's, but parts would be a major problem to get.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Tony T

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 07:15:34 pm »

Yeah, but it wouldn't it be so cool to have one!  ;D

Not sure if it's something I'd take on, though. Parts for my Cagiva are very hard to find and it's only 17 years old.  :-\

Offline dalesween

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:19:54 pm »
I used to have the ADB with the WMX500 test in it,it should have been great with all it's technology in the day but did'nt get a very good test result.

cheers Dale.

mainline

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 07:52:40 pm »

I was looking at an 86 cagiva recently and did some searching to see what parts I could find and was surprised to see how much was about.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 06:19:14 pm »
Who am I ? warning old topic !

Best is in the West !!

TM BILL

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 06:20:00 am »
Jeremy whatley