Author Topic: Ebay and who they own  (Read 1956 times)

oldfart

Ebay and who they own
« on: January 24, 2012, 08:22:39 pm »
When you are this big you can buy out your competitors with loose change.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_eBay

As Far as I can make out "TradeMe " is still owned  Fairfax
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:30:05 pm by oldfart »

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay and who they own
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:31:52 pm »
and listed on stock exchange.looking at going to auz-as soon as they bought it prices and fees went up
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:39:13 pm »
They are modern day MAFIA!
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:11:40 pm »
Just keep in mind they purchased all those companies, but don't necessarily still own them. Many have been turned over for considerable profit.

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:17:31 pm »
That would probably explain the new additional options on Ebay; such as the shopping cart option and the bill me later shyte. Capitalist's.

TM BILL

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 02:46:29 pm »
You can bag ebay until your arse heals up  :) but they only exist because WE use their services  ;) either buying or selling , if its so bad why does everybody use it  ???

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:02:21 pm »
My search was to see how the class action was going against   "pay pal"

As of December 2011, PayPal is embroiled in a controversy over their policy of holding 30% of vendor transactions for 90 days, which PayPal argues is intended to make funds available to customers in the event that a transaction is found to be fraudulent; to provide PayPal the funds to refund the seller. But PayPal has refused to provide information regarding the reasons particular sellers have been identified to have funds reserved. There is also criticism about the perceived arbitrariness of the 90-day waiting period, when customers have only 45 days to file a claim against a seller, and complaints about the fact that PayPal has not paid interest on the funds held back. Many sellers have surmised that the policy is due to a desire on the part of PayPal to use their funds for investing. There is a class action suit pending regarding the practice.[95]

Bill- I'm not bagging them at all, just pointing out how they consume up rivals so as to have market control  ;)

Luke ,  I'm pretty sure I have read some place  that Skype was onsold to microsoft at a huge profit.

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:17:26 pm »
You can bag ebay until your arse heals up  :) but they only exist because WE use their services  ;) either buying or selling , if its so bad why does everybody use it  ???

Whats that old saying "bad things happen to good people when good people stand around and do nothing". There always should be some degree of accountability and a reasonable expectation of good service. I don't think that is too much to ask for. It would be a very sad state of affairs if the only right of reply the consumer has is to take their business elsewhere.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 10:42:05 pm »
Luke ,  I'm pretty sure I have read some place  that Skype was onsold to microsoft at a huge profit.
Stewart, it was indeed.

eBay couldn't figure out what to do with it and sold it to Andreesen (think Mosaic/Netscape) for about $2B. Andreesen is a rather smart chap who knew that they could sort out the IP litigation that was dogging the whole Skype story. They sorted that and in turn sold it to Microsoft a few years later for $8.5B. Yes, really.

Microsoft effectively purchased a key element of your future in internet-based telecommunications. They have been piecing together a very comprehensive set of components over the past few years. Somebody in there has a clue. I'm not expecting VMX guys to know the future of the Internet, but I feel this really was a very sharp move by Microsoft. Time will tell.

As to other eBay purchases, some have been good, some I just don't understand and some off-loaded before the dust settled. eBay is not going away and like Amazon, are now in the tiny group that make up the key players.

Luke