Author Topic: 1989 HONDA CR 500R FOR SALE ON eBay- Check out this mint resto !!  (Read 12719 times)

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
Re: 1989 HONDA CR 500R FOR SALE ON eBay- Check out this mint resto !!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 08:45:52 pm »
I contacted this seller on eBay and he told me he is losing $$$'s on this considering what he paid for it first up plus all the NOS parts, some you can't get anymore, plus all of the accessories plus all of the countless hours of labour. If i had the spare $$$'s i would buy this and race it in Viper Pre 90 this year, i would much rather see this bike on the track than the air hammer Mugen 480 you would pay $11,000 for KJ222... Who's dreamin ??

Hey vmx155, apologies if my attempt at a little Michael Caton humour offended you. For the record, there is a big difference between what someone spends on an item in both time and $ and what people will actually pay for it. As nice as this bike is and don't get me wrong, it is beautifully done, and I am sure he put hours of time into it, there is only so much most of us will pay for a VMX bike, no matter how good it is. Yes, you picked up I like the Mugen bike but pay 11K for it, the same applies for me, not a chance in hell. Good luck to him though, or you, I hope he gets it and proves me wrong.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:53:05 pm by KJ222 »
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline Ando

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 09:10:14 pm »
Hey Ken,

One thing I learnt a while back, there's no money in doing up dirt bikes! Stick to your day job I reckon! Do it for love, not money  ;)

STW996

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 11:37:23 am »
I surpose things are worth what people will pay for them. I am sure if he gets no bids at 10K the price will drop.

I have one of these bikes I am restoring at present, ground up including all new cases (centre clutch/water pump and boyesen covers), barrel, head all new crank and piston assembly and wheels hubs etc;

So far the cost has been, 1200 for the bike
3k for all the engine parts and covers) bought the crank new in Australia for 400 bucks!
950 for hubs, rims (no tyres yet)
300 for all new All balls bearings + seals
300 so far for new old stock, guards, side covers, front plate
I do my own powder coating so not counted but 200 for blast and paint would be fair
55.00 for all new zincing
80.00 for engine correct bolt kit
120.00 for seal + gasket kit
250 for new water pump parts + all new gearbox shims/washers
80.00 for new kick starter
so far just over 6K with another 1000 in parts needed and this includes no labour as I have done it all myself

So if you had no contacts, no mechanical skills and no work shop it would indeed be a fair price I would say, just not race legal in Queensland with those fork internals.

Excellent job and would like to contact sell for info on rebuild if he didn't mide PM to me.

Just as a foot note, a new 450 is 12K (generally) new today, so 10K for a bike that will always be top of it's class in as new condition is not a bad buy I would say??? and this is not a pitch to sell mine when finished I will be riding it along with the other 12 Honda's I have!!

Shane
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:49:24 am by STW996 »

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 11:58:44 am »
doesnt matter what a bike owes you or what you spend
on it you never get it back$10,000
way to much nice bike but :o
follow me to first turn

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 12:00:51 pm »

, there is only so much most of us will pay for a VMX bike, no matter how good it is.

Yes but the bike isn't for "most of us" its for someone who wants a bike thats above the rest. The bike isnt a backyard resto job , the guy isnt a forum member to my knowledge and he didn't need to post any threads on how to set up the bike, he doesn't need to .He is in the industry and has all the contacts and knowledge he needs.All of his bikes ,modern and period that I have seen and in perfect no expense spared  condition.He hasn't done VIPER for a while but when he did he never rode the wet and muddy events , he raced against Vipers best a regularly holeshot and led races.The bike was imported from the US (and came with the HRC fork internals as it apparently was previously a team Honda practice bike.How else would you get those fork bits? )along with an AF500 a few years ago.

What value would you put on a set of period correct HRC fork internals ? I've been on ebay for 12 years and have never come across a set.
Some of you guys need to think a bit more before mouthing off your brilliant opinions

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 12:02:10 pm »
doesnt matter what a bike owes you or what you spend
on it you never get it back$10,000
way to much nice bike but :o

Rusty ,it owes him alot more than 10G

STW996

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 01:32:08 pm »
Hey Motomaniac I have not seen to much of people mouthing off? more so putting their view forward on a bike that is for sale on ebay, all agree it is a very good bike some agree (like me) it is worth the money and some not.

This is a forum for all to cast their own views and that is their choice like it or not, If the bike is as good as you say it is then staying silent would prove more of a point than getting on your high horse about it!

If what you say is correct and the forks are ex HRC items then why not list that in the ad as I am sure it would be a great selling point of view (would be to me). As I noted in my first post I would love to talk to the guy and that was one of the reasons why (the forks) as I asumed he would be in the "know" re these bikes.

Shane

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 02:57:01 pm »
Onto a totally different subject on that bike.
When the 89 model first came out in the USA im pretty sure every bike was recalled
back because of the woeful fork setup and had mugen internals fitted ???
Please correct me if im wrong but i heard that a long time ago and if it was
true im grining because i own an 89 CR500 too that was imported from America  :)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 03:59:12 pm »
Hey Motomaniac I have not seen to much of people mouthing off? more so putting their view forward on a bike that is for sale on ebay, all agree it is a very good bike some agree (like me) it is worth the money and some not.

This is a forum for all to cast their own views and that is their choice like it or not, If the bike is as good as you say it is then staying silent would prove more of a point than getting on your high horse about it!

If what you say is correct and the forks are ex HRC items then why not list that in the ad as I am sure it would be a great selling point of view (would be to me). As I noted in my first post I would love to talk to the guy and that was one of the reasons why (the forks) as I asumed he would be in the "know" re these bikes.

Shane

Shane ,the HRC internals are listed in the list of aftermarket stuff.I don't know if he'd take the time for inquiries other re buying the bike,as I said I don't think he's on the forum.He would be easily contacted though either though the ebay link or his business ,100%MX.

Theres not much that you can do with those shit 89 forks,not sure if WP made a kit form them, you could change to complete WP forks or Ohlins if you can find some , even then they won't be as good as the HRC setup.
The Honda "recall" was not to supply a mugen kit ,they merely modded the existing stuff with some extra holes etc which took the harshness out of the fork but also allowed them to bottom out more.

I think the ones who should be staying silent are the ones who come on and knock a bike down after a fellow VMXers has put everything he can into a bike, especially when they dont even know what they are looking at.I take your point that the forum is open to all but really I get tired of the same old reaction whenever someone puts up a bike forsale.I only cast my view same as everyone else and I only gave my "high horse" opinion to those who had already done the same.

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 06:10:28 pm »

Shane

Shane ,the HRC internals are listed in the list of aftermarket stuff.I don't know if he'd take the time for inquiries other re buying the bike,as I said I don't think he's on the forum.He would be easily contacted though either though the ebay link or his business ,100%MX.

Theres not much that you can do with those shit 89 forks,not sure if WP made a kit form them, you could change to complete WP forks or Ohlins if you can find some , even then they won't be as good as the HRC setup.
The Honda "recall" was not to supply a mugen kit ,they merely modded the existing stuff with some extra holes etc which took the harshness out of the fork but also allowed them to bottom out more.

I think the ones who should be staying silent are the ones who come on and knock a bike down after a fellow VMXers has put everything he can into a bike, especially when they dont even know what they are looking at.I take your point that the forum is open to all but really I get tired of the same old reaction whenever someone puts up a bike forsale.I only cast my view same as everyone else and I only gave my "high horse" opinion to those who had already done the same.

Motomaniac, even though your post comes across fairly aggressively, not sure if that was your intention, you have a valid point that if the guy who restored this bike did put his heart and soul into it, then my comment was insensitive and inappropriate. It certainly wasn't my intention to offend anyone so I'll keep that in mind.

What seems to have happened on this thread though is something I witness too many times. We all have a right to our own opinion and when people disagree on something it does not have to instantly degenerate into a slanging match. Those opinions are formed from all our different points of view in life, and just because your point of view is different to mine, it doesn't automatically mean you are right and I am wrong or visa versa. It just means we disagree.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:07:06 pm by KJ222 »
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

kaw440

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 10:48:02 pm »
I have been watching this thread and it is amazing to see what happens when someone wants to sell their gem they have spent shit loads on and try to get some money back they invested.
This is the story guys the seller is not the owner the guy that started the tread dont know who he is the owner is a friend of the seller and i am very good friends with both of them.
I know this is all fact as i built the bike and spent a lot of time finding all the NOS parts to build this bike for the owner this is no back yard resto it might as well been done by honda it is that good no loose levers or presure pack paint jobs all new and like the day it was sold new if that aint worth 10 grand then what is.
What we need to do is encorage this kind of stuff this is the heart of vintage. Not lable with less than positve comment what ever they may be there is to much of that shit in life now we wonder why our sport of vintage mx suffers to much bitchin and pissin if its less than positve keep it to your self but you still have the right for your opinion maybe we need to go back to the good old days when we spoke face to face as i think this would change our comments some as its to easy to comment from a key board
my number is 0408 650060 if you would like tell me any different thats what i think Simon healy

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 12:15:15 am »
This bike is definitely worth 10K considering all the new Honda parts on it and the brand new accessories OR you could do this yourself and spend more than 10K OR you could buy one of the other 1989 fully restored CR 500's currently listed for sale on eBay because there are so many to choose from...

The problem with opinions is that every fricker has one and most of the time they are the silly ones. Facts don't lie though and more people are actually buying new bikes according to FCAI figures:

Motorcycle sales in Australia continued to grow significantly in the final months of 2011, according to official figures released today by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI).

A total of 109,067 new motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and scooters were delivered to customers during the full year 2011, an increase of 3226 motorcycles (or growth of 3.0 per cent).

31,938 motorcycles were delivered in the fourth quarter alone (between October and December), compared with 26,750 in the third quarter.

FCAI chief executive Ian Chalmers said the recovery of motorcycle sales was encouraging given some recent years of soft sales nationwide.

The only exercise CERTAIN people do everyday is: jump to conclusions...

Interesting how some information was missing...  here's the REAL facts:

"Motorcycle sales in Australia continued to grow significantly in the final months of 2011, according to official figures released by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI).

A total of 109,067 new motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and scooters were delivered to customers during the full year 2011, an increase of 3226 motorcycles (or growth of 3.0 per cent).

31,938 motorcycles were delivered in the fourth quarter alone (between October and December), compared with 26,750 in the third quarter.

FCAI chief executive Ian Chalmers said the recovery of motorcycle sales was encouraging given some recent years of soft sales nationwide.

“While sales of road and off-road motorcycles have remained reasonably static throughout the year, scooter and all-terrain vehicle segments have continued their impressive growth again this year,” he said.

“The 18.4 per cent growth in ATV sales is somewhat indicative of the recovery of rural economies nationwide, where these motorcycles are most popular.

“8.9 per cent growth in scooter sales continues to highlight the popularity of these modes of personal transport, as motorists seek to avoid high petrol prices and increasingly congested metropolitan roads,” he said.

A total of 22,428 ATVs were sold in 2011, up 18.4 per cent (or 3486 units).

More than one in five motorcycles sold last year was an ATV.

The scooter segment finished the year with 11,374 sales, up 8.8 per cent (or 929 scooters).

Sales of road bikes recovered strongly in the fourth quarter, finishing the year 1.4 per cent ahead of 2010 with 38,628 sales.

The only segment not to grow in 2011 was off-road motorcycles, with sales volumes declining 4.5 per cent (1735 sales)."

OFF ROAD BIKES DECLINED 4.5 PERCENT.  1735 LESS DIRT BIKES WERE SOLD IN AUSTRALIA LAST YEAR THAN THE PREVIOUS. 

To me, that means that less people are spending money on their hobbies/pastimes... (which most dirt bikes are).  Google is a wonderful thing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:17:08 am by NR555 »

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 12:38:21 am »
I don't think any one is trying to be rude when they are saying what they think it is worth the problem is if you are going to spend so much money on a vehicle and then you decide to sell it you are lucky to ever get it back.

You see it with cars a lot someone spends a motza and it may be the best around but people never worry about the $$ spent they only see the sale price I am doing up a bike up like that but it won't be for sale if I had to I know I'd be in for a massive loss unfortunately.

1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 12:52:33 am »
I have been watching this thread and it is amazing to see what happens when someone wants to sell their gem they have spent shit loads on and try to get some money back they invested.
This is the story guys the seller is not the owner the guy that started the tread dont know who he is the owner is a friend of the seller and i am very good friends with both of them.
I know this is all fact as i built the bike and spent a lot of time finding all the NOS parts to build this bike for the owner this is no back yard resto it might as well been done by honda it is that good no loose levers or presure pack paint jobs all new and like the day it was sold new if that aint worth 10 grand then what is.
What we need to do is encorage this kind of stuff this is the heart of vintage. Not lable with less than positve comment what ever they may be there is to much of that shit in life now we wonder why our sport of vintage mx suffers to much bitchin and pissin if its less than positve keep it to your self but you still have the right for your opinion maybe we need to go back to the good old days when we spoke face to face as i think this would change our comments some as its to easy to comment from a key board
my number is 0408 650060 if you would like tell me any different thats what i think Simon healy

I agree with you 100% Simon. A while ago i put 2 bikes up for sale, both 500`s and the shit i copped from the so called experts you wouldn`t believe. " Tell him he`s dreaming " and another favourite is " I seen a better one last week for half that price "

If you are not interested in buying the bikes advertised keep your comments to yourself and don`t deter others from buying.

These are the bikes i put up for sale...

81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 08:01:21 am »
Its a bloody beautiful CR - I would love to own it