Author Topic: Panel Beating and chroming exhaust pipes.  (Read 7319 times)

mx250

Panel Beating and chroming exhaust pipes.
« on: March 17, 2008, 11:10:04 am »
This is not exactly VMX (very few VMX'er have chrome exhaust  ::)) but I know there is a lot of skill and knowledge over and above VMX out there  8).

I have a long running resto of a YDS5. This is what it should end up like.

Being a 250 it has suffered the life and indignation of been a multiple learners bikes and has multiple scars to the exhaust of minor slides and get offs typical of a learner's bike. One of my last task is to repair the said damage to the exhaust and the front gaurd.

Does anyone know some one prepared to do such work?

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Ban BLACK rims NOW

mx250

Re: Panel Beating and chroming exhaust pipes.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 12:10:51 pm »
probably a bit pricey but here you go...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/YAMAHA-NOS-YDS5-MUFFLER-YM2-YDS2-YDS3-AS1-CB72-T20-ERA_W0QQitemZ130205940758QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10490QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
God, you spend too much time on Ebay  :D.

Yeah, thanks for that. I had actually seen it which is why I asked the question. I'm toying with the idea to bid for it and how much. If it goes for around this price it would be very good value. I doubt if you would repair and re-chrome for this money let alone getting the same gauranteed finish.

But its pretty useless getting just one pipe. And I wouldn't want to be waiting and sweating on the next NOS pipe to come up  :P.

firko

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 01:14:46 pm »
I restored a YDS2 a few years ago and it was a rewarding experience. I managed to find one NOS muffler at a dealer somewhere in WA and another almost new one on a YDS2 that had been totalled in the sixties. That bike also gave up it's almost perfect seat, gauges, rear mudguard and taillight. I'd be going for that muffler in the UK if I was you. These things aren't going to pop up every week and no matter how good your resto skills are you can't beat NOS stuff.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:21:24 pm by firko »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 09:17:13 pm »
On the Suzuki T500 im restoring we cant find decent pipes that are not all dented up like we already have so unfortunately its getting to the point where we can no longer keep hunting and are going to cut the ones we have got open and do all the repairs and rechrome It’s a good chance your no where near me so give GMC in eastern states a call.

if you can get NOS get it quick as it will be cheaper than paying someone to repair and chrome what you have got, but in our case it looks like we have to repair what we have got or the bike goes with out mufflers! as we cant find NOS ones anywhere.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 09:19:12 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 11:43:28 pm »
MX250, I restored a Kawasaki KH250 (the little brother of the family of two stroke road bike triples built around the early to mid seventies) about 10 years ago and it too had damaged exhaust pipes. Apart from the scratches, all three pipes had dents of varying depths.
I managed to repair them by sealing the pipes at both ends so they were air tight then using regulated compressed air to gently pressurise them, and the apt word here is gently, while heating the affected area with an oxy torch.
To do this I made a couple of ply wood discs that were bigger in diameter than the inlet and outlet hole at both ends of the muffler (without the header pipe) then glued some rubber matting approx 3-4mm thickness to one side of each so they could be used as air tight seals. The two plates then have to be clamped so they hold tight against each end of the muffler, (so the air doesn't escape).
To do this is a matter of your imagination and the design and specs of the individual pipe you're working with, but I drilled a hole in the middle of each plate and fitted an eye bolt to one with the eye facing inward (the rubber side) and attached an air fitting to the other plate. To clamp them to the muffler I ran a length of wire down through the muffler and fitted /clamped one end of the wire to the eye bolt and the other end to the air fitting (you may have to drill a hole through the fitting to attach the wire) then tightened the whole assembly up with the nut on the eye bolt so it became a sealed unit (place some rubber under the nut and it's flat washer so you don't loose your seal).
Next step was to attach the regulated air supply and slowly increase the air pressure and heat the damaged area with the oxy. Too much heat and air pressure and you could blow a hole in the skin, a light cherry red is all that's needed and work the torch over a broad area and from memory approx 10 psi was all that was needed. All going well, the dings will slowly rise.
It's worth a shot if you're at the end of the road. Any remaining minor scratches will have to be removed by the metal polisher before getting them chromed, although deeper scratches may need to be filled, try a panel beater that knows how to lead fill. This is a skill the old timers were taught during their apprentiship training days. Idon't know if this method of filling is suitable under chrom plating, ask the chrome platers.

Another method is to have the top and bottom seams ground off so you end up with two half shells and panel beat them out then have them rewelded. This method works ok as long as not too much of the seam is removed, if they are you will loose the original look.
Hope this helps.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 11:33:13 am »
I think if you didn't want to pay top $$$ for the NOS stuff a slitting disc onto the seam and beating the dent out over a mandrel would work well.Lead wiping is childs play, styrene, leather pad and an LPG torch will have good results fairly quicky.
IS that pic correct with the right hand chain drive????
Jesus only loves two strokes

mx250

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 01:18:26 pm »

IS that pic correct with the right hand chain drive????
Yep!

mx250

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 10:07:56 pm »
$355 with 3 days to go (plus postage). As nice as NOS is I think this is gunna be 'outa the question'.

To get the bike finished and A1 I would pay $1000 for a pair -  but $500 for one  ::), and then still looking for another  :-[

mx250

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 10:07:15 am »
 :o Went for $562 (plus postage)  :'(. Too rich for my blood  ::)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130205940758&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

Samed buyer (woman, Sharon?) paid $774 for a seat. :o

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130205668916&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

They must be keen to have the perfect YDS5  8). Surprising how popular the YDS is. There's a guy in America that gets commissioned to do them  8)

Looks like I'll be reduced to repairing. Thanks for the advise guys. But the YDS will go on the backburner for a while (again), at least to after CD5  ::).

gerpster

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 10:15:52 am »
Gotta say I LOVE the gold DS7....but doubt I will ever own one!!!    :'(

mx250

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 10:52:14 am »
Gotta say I LOVE the gold DS7....but doubt I will ever own one!!!    :'(

Would Sir prefer that with white.....

.....or black highlights  ;D.

Nice choice, a very different bike from engine to styling. The DS7/R5 had the horizontal split cases and are pretty much straight linage to the RD/LC, Banshee and TZ. They also had drive on the left which is probably what prompted Lozza question.

I can't see why you would say you would never own one, they're still out there and a fairly easy resto, all the mechanicals are still available, and would be a very useable classic. $2000 should have you go from wreck to reasonable resto, although exhaust pipes might a difficulty  ::), ;D.

The DS6 was the in between model with a tarted over YDS5 chassis and engine.

I like it as well (yeah I know, I'm hopeless :P)

.....and its offroading brother

;D

gerpster

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 11:17:05 am »
Ahhh stop it..ya killing me!!!   ;)

Yeh the gold DS7 with the black highlights...noice!!! 

Haven't seen too many around even for a decent resto and the "good ones" are getting expensive. Just have to keep my eyes peeled and wait....and wait....and wait..... ;D
Even RD250/350 and LC stuff is starting to take off!!!...   :o

And the DS6-C is pretty cool too!!

mx250

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 11:22:36 am »
Even RD250/350 and LC stuff is starting to take off!!!...   :o
.....starting with a rust free tank  ::).

I've got a restored me  8) ;D.

.... and shit load of bits  ::).

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 09:54:31 pm »
Popping dents out is reasonably easy but the chroming is the killer as it will show up the smallest imperfection. You should run it by your local platers as well as a lot of them won't replate second hand exhausts due to the shit inside upsettin their tanks. They also don't like them for the baffles inside.
If you find a willing plater & tackle it yourself then get them to strip the old chrome of first before repairing, it will be that bit easier to work with.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/