Author Topic: Husqvarna CR400 Info Please  (Read 3271 times)

Grant CR400

Husqvarna CR400 Info Please
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:40:53 pm »
Hi,

My bike below has the front brake on the left side?Most pics i see of the 73/74 models have the brake on the right side so is this a later model front end or an earlier model?
Also what transmision oil do you guys run in these things the manual says 20w motor oil, and fuel ratio 25.1 I will probably stick with what the manual says but as this was nearly 40yrs ago maybe technology has come along way.

Any input would be greatly apprieciated,thanks.

http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g405/Husky400/

http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g405/Husky400/

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Husqvarna CR400 Info Please
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:51:51 pm »
Best is in the West !!

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:17:31 am »
The front brake will go into either side of your forks, it's just up to you how you best route the front brake cable.
Gearbox oil, TQF: 1600cc in the box, and 200cc in each fork leg = 2 litres.  ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Grant CR400

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:38:57 am »
Thanks GD66,

I will replace the oils with TQF,the front brake cable sits nicely as is so i will leave it,i thought i could swap it round if i wanted to but wasnt sure.
Seems like your the man with the answers have you had one of these before?Cheers mate.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 03:12:19 am »
I have a 1974 WR400, but I have been lucky enough to be in the same vmx club as the amazing Bill Watson, who's been playing with Huskies since the 1960s, and is still racing them into his eighties : he is a rich mine of Husky lore. His son Watto HVA is on here too, and like his dad is a fount of Husky info. There are also a mob of Husky gurus lurking within the confines of the Husqvarna page, well worth a trawl, and they're all generous with tips and advice. Holler, and you'll get help.

Grant CR400

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 11:47:00 am »
Thanks,

Actually Dad said to me yesterday i need to find a bloke by the name Bill Watson for Husky info,and you wouldnt believe it the copy of the manual i have has Bill's name & contact details inside it id say it was his and he did copies for people. and he also mentioned another person who lives in Bunbury but i forgot his name but dad said he never got a wife only Husqvarna's.
Dad used to race Triumph's with all these guys in the 60's.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 12:15:36 pm »
the amazing Bill Watson, who's been playing with Huskies since the 1960s, and is still racing them into his eighties : he is a rich mine of Husky lore. His son Watto HVA is on here too, and like his dad is a fount of Husky info. There are also a mob of Husky gurus lurking within the confines of the Husqvarna page, well worth a trawl,
I agree whole heartedly, Watto jr and I often have philosophical differences on here but it's mostly lighthearted. The Watson's are good folks and eat and sleep vintage Husky's as does Klub Kevlar's own Husky Pete Andrews. Pete's a virtual encyclopedia on all things HVA.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 12:30:45 pm »
lives in Bunbury but i forgot his name but dad said he never got a wife only Husqvarna's.

;D  ;D  He must of done something at some stage he has human grandchildren........Mitchell family.  8)

Glen Britza and the old mx crew are all into Vintage Road Bikes now days..Glen was very helpful in getting some information together on Gunnar Lindstrom who visited here in the southwest back in the late 60'/70's.Gunnar also visited Classic Dirt Qld last year and the launch of the new book "Husqvarna Success" was available....Good people... 8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 01:06:56 pm »
lives in Bunbury but i forgot his name but dad said he never got a wife only Husqvarna's.

;D  ;D  He must of done something at some stage he has human grandchildren........Mitchell family.  8)

I think he means John Fitzpatrick.

Grant CR400

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 01:30:36 pm »
Ok,
I rang the old man he says Glen britza.
My cousin is married to one of the boys,my uncle is Jim Renfree lots of good riders in the Renfree family.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 02:05:20 pm »
Including Martin, the roadracer ?

Glad we got that sorted out : did you get your 400 from the States ? Spotted the AHRMA sticker on it : looks very nice, but you will get ragged by purists for your snail pipe... :-X

Grant CR400

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 02:23:51 pm »
Hi Mate,

If you check my intro post you will see more about the bike and the link from when it was advertised on here a while ago im the 3rd owner i think since it left the USA,yes the pipe i know that is discussed in the link also.It is a Circle F pipe which i believe was available in the day,but the seat has melted from where the pipe passes under it so im thinking to protect the fuel lines,seat,tank e.t.c  i might black wrap it and this might disguise it a bit also.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 07:16:43 pm »
Best is in the West !!