Author Topic: New bikes bore me to death.  (Read 4893 times)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
New bikes bore me to death.
« on: December 28, 2011, 12:50:14 pm »
Apart from a few exceptions new bikes are just different colours and have been so for a decade the 2005 CRF looks the same as the 2011 CRF, never before have bikes changed so little or lacked any innovation. Why would anyone update every year anymore when there is mostly just bold new graphics. The Japs have lost the plot I feel the lack of any real works bikes have stalled innovation and dulled down our sport. When was the last time you made a trip to the bike shop to just ogle the new model YZ?
I hope that some of new European makes can bring innovation that brings real change that converts to sales for these makes that hopefully drives the market to inspire new ideas instead of these boring cookie cutter models that most accept these days.

Rant over  >:( 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New bikes bore me to death.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 01:30:01 pm »
What do you mean, the new CRF450X has, er new footpegs, new injection map and softer fork springs, oh and longer muffler with smaller hole. .... your a hard man to please.

I guess you could blame the cash strapped Japanese R&D departments, or you could say, well where do we go now with the existing technology?..... so you bring some new forward technology to the table with your R&D bucks.

formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:45:37 pm »
It was a legends question at cd.ballard said fuel injected two strokes!!
Best is in the West !!

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 02:53:06 pm »
Apart from a few exceptions new bikes are just different colours and have been so for a decade the 2005 CRF looks the same as the 2011 CRF, never before have bikes changed so little or lacked any innovation. Why would anyone update every year anymore when there is mostly just bold new graphics. The Japs have lost the plot I feel the lack of any real works bikes have stalled innovation and dulled down our sport. When was the last time you made a trip to the bike shop to just ogle the new model YZ?

Rant over  >:( 

Its coming upto 20 years for me. Thank god for the VMX scene .

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 03:39:05 pm »
Why would anyone update every year anymore when there is mostly just bold new graphics.

Cause it's cheaper to update than replace almost all of the engine internals and freshen up the tired bits (suspension and brakes) at the end of the season to be ready for the next season.

It was a legends question at cd.ballard said fuel injected two strokes!!

Are we ready for injected 2 strokes - YES
Are we prepared to pay the premium for the technology over a carburettor - NO
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 03:50:30 pm »
I bought my last new bike (KTM400EXC) in 2000 and can't see myself buying another in my lifetime. As much as I appreciate how much the technology has moved on....I, unfortunately haven't. I'm 61 years old and physically too broken to race any more so seeing that the chances of me using a new bike to its potential are less than slim, my interest level is correspondingly low. As high tech and fantastic to ride as the new rash of bikes are (I have ridden many of the high watermark bikes from recent years), I haven't seen a lot of serious change in recent times. In the seventies and eighties we hung outside bike shops like like Lady Ga Ga fans at the airport itching to see the latest releases from our favourite manufacturer because with only a few exceptions, each new bike was a radical improvement on the previous model. Today's lack of model development is probably driven by the failing economies of the big manufacturers and the factories wanting to get maximum mileage out of the huge research and development costs that go into a new model. If they can stretch the technology out for five or six years, the profits increase.

I agree with Slakey, to me the modern motocross bike is a boring piece of kit because I've seen it all before for the last 10 years. The next big technology jump....the next  '98 YZ400F equivalent, will hopefully be a fuel injected two stroke with all sorts of computer controlled porting and gizmos. The public will go mental, the bikes will sell like happy hour schooners and....the technological development will slow down again until in the year 2022 another new idea will come along....maybe an efficient electric racer.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:52:05 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 04:02:14 pm »
Quote from: BAHNZY link=topic=22127.msg218819#msg218819
Are we prepared to pay the premium for the technology over a carburettor - NO
[/quote

yep. euro market only and do they have abig market.the fourstroke fuel injection transition wasnt that bad.cheers us2

ps can't make em too good or who will ride our vmx bikes in the future  ;D  ;)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 04:22:32 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 04:38:08 pm »
aside from the few things mentioned here - fuel injection etc - what else is there to offer - that we want?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 04:39:35 pm »
I did have a little hope when Aprilia released these but they where quirky expensive and they didn't seem to have the cash to fix them.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 04:40:25 pm »
the next  '98 YZ400F equivalent, will hopefully be a fuel injected two stroke with all sorts of computer controlled porting and gizmos. The public will go mental, the bikes will sell like happy hour schooners and....the technological development will slow down again until in the year 2022 another new idea will come along....maybe an efficient electric racer.

2 strokes are so 1975..... My moneys on electric racer, Honda and Hitachi has joined forces in regard to battery development for Honda's new E race bike. Honda offered 7 versions of electric bike at Tokyo Show which range from scooters to Superbike. Swigz race bike gives you 240hp from 10" long water cooled super motor, so power is not the issue just weight and battery life.

Honda has made one of their corporate objectives to offer full range of electric bikes. One of the reason is that an electric motor makes it much cheaper to integrate rider aids like traction control and anti wheelie which are bound to be mandatory one day. You may as well be excited about it as the good ole days are not coming back any time soon.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 04:48:35 pm »
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

oldfart

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 04:55:03 pm »
Make the rear sprocket 2" larger in Dia, and you would be to connect the chain directly to rim  ;D
Ugly as Sin.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 05:04:45 pm »
they are not Bikes, they are some kind of drone android. the whizzing - whirring sound doesn't give me the horn.

Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 06:15:45 pm »
At least these are not as ugly.
I still feel the need for better batteries to fuel these things but given our thirst for electric gadgets they should be good in 10 years.
Here is some news about batteries
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/apple-iphone-ipad-batteries-to-last-days-or-even-weeks-20111227-1pavi.html
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:28:15 pm by Slakewell »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 06:47:15 pm »
Make the rear sprocket 2" larger in Dia, and you would be to connect the chain directly to rim  ;D
Ugly as Sin.

Has no gearbox so one sprocket for all situations and full torque the moment you hit the switch, so real stump puller. I like KTMs take on the e-bike as far as asthetics, interesting they are running real skinny rear tyre.... traction control ?.

I can see some advantages to a bike with stealth capability.
formerly Marc.com