Author Topic: "Men Of A Certain Age"  (Read 5500 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: "Men Of A Certain Age"
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 01:56:36 pm »
The article isn't about old guys riding old bikes (or keyboards ::)). It's about old guys racing. It's a good article by a guy well intrenched in the sport. Give him his dues.... ;)

I don't know Munt, I thought it was about old guys racing modern bikes in Vets out numbering the young guys at meetings, which may be applicable to the States, but probably does not reflect the modern MX scene in Aussie.
formerly Marc.com

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 03:06:58 pm »
I believe the true motocrossers of today will probabaly compete in vet racers in 30 or so years. Just because we seem to think that we have the monopoly on motocross because we grew up in the era of so much change doesn't mean we're the only true believers.

The article isn't about old guys riding old bikes (or keyboards ::)). It's about old guys racing. It's a good article by a guy well intrenched in the sport. Give him his dues.... ;)

After reading marcFX's comments I am pretty sure he does'nt get it,he is entitled to his opinion though,

Offline Kenneth S (222)

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • 24 Hour T-shirts
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 07:49:58 am »
I believe the true motocrossers of today will probabaly compete in vet racers in 30 or so years. Just because we seem to think that we have the monopoly on motocross because we grew up in the era of so much change doesn't mean we're the only true believers.

Hi Mont, It is a great article and I have always thoroughly enjoyed Jody's writings, in fact back in the day, after Baz's Box stopped, when I picked up my MX Action, Jody's page was usually the first thing I read. While not directly related to the point he was making, what this article did do for me though is trigger some thoughts about what VMX means to me at this age and why I race. Not for one minute was I challenging his writings or bagging him out. I do think though, we are the fortunate ones to have lived our teen years through such a classic time of dirt biking. Something recently discovering the VMX scene has made me very aware and grateful of. ;D
Kenneth S
Go For It

Heaven VMX Club - Racing No 222 - 79 CR250RZ - 84 CR250RE (Steam Train) - 89 CR250RK

Race Bike History
76 RM125A, 77 RM125B, 78 RM125C, RM400C, 79 CR250RZ, 80 YZ250G, 81 RM465X, 82-83 RM490 Frank Pons Special(Beetle's 81 Race Bike)

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 10:41:11 am »
    If you go thru jody's writing over the last 6-8yrs you will see that he has no connection now to vmx bikes (other than the past) he reckons "why would i want to go back to something with no suspension or brakes" he's welcome to his opinion, i suppose it helps when you have every new model  bike thrown at you year after year with full backup and instruction to "destroy"  :D also the Vet class being so strong in US would probably have something to do with them  seemingly  paying (until recently)a lot less for everthing than aussies have for a long as i can remember (???) making it affordable to have and maintain their toys right thru-out their life ? :-\  MXA for me back in the 70's was a big part of mx with the trick pic's of the test rider's on every new model jap/euro bike blowin'-out big berms, crackin' big cross-up's and turndowns etc not to mention all the hop-up/aftermarket gear they had available-good on jody for not bowing down to the big 5 or the AMA and he's always been a big advocate for the two-banger  :P

maico police

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 04:19:02 pm »
Hey KJ. No not you mate. I just know there's a real "anti Jody" movement here-abouts and one of the protagonists was trying to rustle up a lynching party....... :D