Author Topic: anyone got pics fro bendigo nats ? approx 1997 ?  (Read 5871 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
anyone got pics fro bendigo nats ? approx 1997 ?
« on: March 12, 2008, 10:10:37 pm »
Does anyone have pics or info from the 97 nationals ? was it at bendigo ? and if so does anyone remember this bike and did it actually win anything ?

I just picked this bike up today from a bloke who told me he won the 97 nationals on it, not that i doubt him but im curious and if so does anyone have any pics from that meeting ?

Im assuming it looks the same as it does now as it was just parked when i found it.

the race number is 253, it still has one of those old triangular national MA scrutineer sticker on the front plate, so it was at that level meet.

the guys name who rode it was tom and im guessing from his age now he would have been 19-20 back then and i think he rode with Ron and others, Andy, Steve etc but im not sure if thats just old talk.

the bike looks to have YZA front forks and did rims, the rear murguard was missing and he says he crashed it at port lincoln ( pirie)  nats and thats were the mudguard snapped. it has Thermoshocks on it and im surprised they actually work well, which i have never seen so im assuming someone done sort of rebuild on them also.

Any one know this bike or some history, what i have is alittle vauge, so any photos from then would be good, hell its only a few years back so someone must have pics or a clue on this unit ? :-\

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:27:35 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

Re: anyone got pics fro bendigo nats ? approx 1997 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:21:04 pm »
Port Pirie, not Port Lincoln.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 10:24:45 pm »
I NEVER TOOK geography and i never drive north......  hehehehe.

any idea firko ? i know it loks like any other yello yamaha, but you did do elagibilty that year there right ?

74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 09:37:43 pm »
OK due to a lack of posts , ill take that as a sign know one has any idea..............
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

YSS

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 09:42:37 pm »
There was a Video made , I think we bought one , It was dusty as hell on Saturday  and then would not stop raining all Sunday .

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 09:49:53 pm »
like in a video tape ?  surely someone even has plain old pictures ? tony t what the hell where you doing back then ?   
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 10:14:52 pm »
I did have Freaky all lost in fire >: real real sad loss my boys were competitors.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 11:36:40 pm »
so lets find another one then  ,  there is probally a box of em unsold, sitting with the origial editor of the video.    who took it ?
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

firko

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 11:57:49 pm »
I actually do remember the bike and the rider. If it's the bike/rider I think it is, he won everything he went in. Quickest MX250 I've seen but I think it was more the rider than the bike. I've been trying to think but his name escapes me. It was an unusual name, first name David I think. I covered the event for ADB but can't find the issue........Walter, I remember you racing and you'd remember a nutcase from WA going beserk on his Wasp and crashing into the crowd. I remember his name but won't give him any credit here.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 12:07:01 am by firko »

YSS

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 12:16:09 am »
That was Port Pirie not Ravenswood  where that bloke tried to hard and crashed into the crowd. Years later , he tells people I put him in the fence for protesting my bike. I can assure you I was already 20 meters ahead of him and never touched him...
But he still finally got his title last year, by only letting a selected few to enter ...My WA entry was misteriosly lost in the mail and no late entries where taken ( as per sup regs of course )You can guess what the postal adress was .... I think that happen to a couple of fast solo riders too ,  never mind live goes on ,thats water under the bridge. I hope MA has learnt something from that , and want let it happen again. Its sad when one man ( or little group ) can turn you off from racing . But we already covered that mans actions in another thread .

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 01:26:15 am by YSS »

Tony T

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 02:07:40 am »
tony t what the hell where you doing back then ?   

Dealing with my Dad's death and a divorce. It was a busy year.............  ;)

firko

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 08:01:10 am »
Yeah Walter, I was referring to Port Pirie. That same bloke we are speaking about was going to protest my Maico at the Coffs Nats if it would have beaten his son in pre 70 on what I think was a dodgy BSA. If Daryl wouldn't have made a small mistake in the second moto that would have happened. As it was this blokes bike won by an overall 1 point. The reason he was going to protest? He reckons the conical front hub that's been in my bike for twenty years is illegal.

That bike has raced at at least 12 title meetings since that hub's been in place and has never been even questioned over any percieved illegalities. He can't go to a race meeting without protesting someone or trying to knock them off the program because he doesn't like the bike or the owner. He tried to cause some other problems at Coffs but  was convinced not to beautifully by the clerk of course Herbie Conlan and Steward Kevin McDonald who had been pre warned that the bloke was out to cause trouble.

The infamous Boagy riveted/ bolted CZ hub and sprocket situation was instigated by this serial pest. If I had space I could rattle on for pages on this bloke and his strange pedantic behaviour.

YSS

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 09:05:37 am »
Well in my opinion , thats where MA is lacking in leadership . I shitstirrer like him should be pulled up  officially and put on notice. Inofficially they agree and tell me that should not happen again. ( or to my face anyway) . I have not been bothered to get a MA licence for 4 years now and I am not sure , if I ever will again.....A governing body to me means governing the sport and not the till.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 09:27:04 am »
OK Tony T you are excused  :-[

The guy i got it from i thought had a name like tom jr, or tom larsen or somthing like that his dad and him have are both called tom so i also have heard him called Joel, they have a ceiling lining busines TL or T and L ceilings hence where i come up with the last name, and i think they are high up in the morman church

in another conversation he mentioned AH ? ANH ? racing somthing like that which he rode had caldicott and a few others played in.  i was kinda looking too closely at the bike at the time to see it was all there etc, and wasnt really listening properly as i only had a small window of oppertunity to say yeah or nah on it. as we had been missing each other for weeks.  he also had another older freind who built and raced the same bikes and went with him, think that name was Ron s.

I want to pull the barrel off before i start it up, soill have a look at the ports and piston cuts, but i think your right firko if this won all it rode in then must have been a very good rider or an old fellas feild cause it looks faily stock to me except for the forks and maybe a  Dt swing arm.  Even has the thermoshocks, but then again its the first set i have seen that have rebound so maybe somone has messed with them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:34:43 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Tony T

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 09:40:48 am »
Hey Freaky, AH Racing is Andy Haydon. How long have you been in S.A.? I'm surprised you hadn't heard of AH Racing before.