Author Topic: Metisse selection  (Read 47986 times)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Metisse selection
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2012, 09:38:51 pm »
Please excuse my Metisse ignorance but do all frames have pretty much the same wheelbase, or does it vary with the HP of the engine fitted
They're all different shapes and sizes Steve, Post # 1767 sort of explains it. The smaller the Metisse (Micro and Petite) the shorter they are compared to the Mk3 and Mk4 biggun's.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2012, 05:06:24 pm »
 Forgive me if this has been pointed out before but all current frames, either Rickman or Metisse are made for the respective firms by Wasp, they all come from that source. as far as I know they always have done.

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2012, 08:02:19 am »
er... no on many fronts.

I dont think Gerry Lisi would thank you for saying that!  I suspect he is on the phone to his legal team right now ~ expect a letter soon.

Various people will make you a frame.  In the UK and Europe.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2012, 10:18:08 am »

Forgive me if this has been pointed out before but all current frames, either Rickman or Metisse are made for the respective firms by Wasp, they all come from that source. as far as I know they always have done.
Cloggy there are at least three distinct and separate companies in the business of producing Metisse replicas. Adrian Moss makes replica Mk3 Metisses under the name Rickman Motorcycles www.rickman-motorcycles.com/ , Gerry Lisi makes replica Metisse Mk3's under the business name of Metisse Motorcycles www.metisse-motorcycles.com and Robin Rhind-Tutt manufactures Metisse copies under the Wasp name http://wasp-motorcycles.tripod.com/. They are all legal for the pre 65 class and are all considered legitimate Metisses by all racing bodies.

*Congratulations to Flowerpot Ben and his wife on the recent birth of a baby son....his third boy in 5 years!
Good work mate.

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2012, 05:55:40 pm »
 They can send me all the legal docs they like but I'm fairly local and the word locally is that they both source from Robin. They are savvy businessmen, they get stuff made by the best people and pull it all together. There's a recent  article in classic dirt bike mag about Robin in which he states his family firm make Metisse frames these days. Since he's full time and Wasp solo frames are rare who do you suppose he's making them for?
 An acquaintence of mine was working for a factory making F1 engines, they make for three different  "engine" manufacturers. It's the way of the world now.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:59:23 pm by cloggy »

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2012, 11:31:03 pm »
er no seriously.

Wasp make many products including the MK3.  Adrian Moss sells them  (deal with him, top bloke does lots of good for our sport)  Geri is nothing to do with WASP and does not sell WASP products.  He sells the MK3

There is also a magnificent craftsman in Europe who makes replica frames including a replica of the MK3.  His work is beautiful.  His frames are TIG welded not brazed.

There are also other very good frame makers in the UK who will make you a frame.  Done in batches of 12.  Absolutely beautiful quality.

If you know the answer to your question, why are you asking.....?

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2012, 05:59:01 am »
 When I said  Rickman and Metisse I was meaning those two, not metisse type frames.  I can only go on what I've been told, if I said who by I'd by dropping them in it.  You sound like you're very close to Geri so I'll take your word.

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2012, 06:47:22 am »
I dont know Geri or have any desire to know him and I am in no way connected with him.

I do know Adrian Moss.  With out speaking out of turn I think you can take it on good authority that Adrian wouldnt want to be associated with any products that Geri is selling and I dare say vice versa.

Perhaps it s me and things have changed.  I would be inclined to suggest not.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2012, 10:02:40 am »
So, have I read it wrong or are you saying Robin Rhind-Tutt at Wasp make Mk3 frames for Adrian Moss at Rickman? You learn something every day  ;). Does Adrian do any manufacturing at all? Geri Lisi, took over Pat French's operation and is most certainly doing it in opposition to Wasp and Adrian Moss.

Curly3

« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2012, 11:17:27 am »
And we shouldn't forget the el-cheapo version out of China. ;)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2012, 12:27:39 pm »
And we shouldn't forget the el-cheapo version out of China.
Damn! I forgot all about him. The Chitisse should be approaching production very soon I'd presume, if I was Rhind-Tutt, Moss or Lisi I'd be seriously shitting myself.  ::)

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2012, 04:52:37 pm »
So, have I read it wrong or are you saying Robin Rhind-Tutt at Wasp make Mk3 frames for Adrian Moss at Rickman? You learn something every day  ;). Does Adrian do any manufacturing at all? Geri Lisi, took over Pat French's operation and is most certainly doing it in opposition to Wasp and Adrian Moss.

Yes, I am saying  that.  Adrian is the main man that pulls it all together and makes the magic happen.  If you are after a Metisse frame kit, speak to Adrian.

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2012, 04:59:49 pm »
And we shouldn't forget the el-cheapo version out of China.
Damn! I forgot all about him. The Chitisse should be approaching production very soon I'd presume, if I was Rhind-Tutt, Moss or Lisi I'd be seriously shitting myself.  ::)

What happened to that?  We should be careful mocking.  The Chinese do make rubbish like everywhere else.  They also make beautiful high end products.  If the job is done well it could be a good thing (?).  More beautiful bikes, cheap as chips (?), so fun for all.  More bums on the line, higher entries, continuation of our sport etc etc and if you want a real one you can still get one. 

Look what happened to the British bike industry.  Jap Crap.  No one says that anymore....

I suspect it is just a question of time.  I look forward to an update

Curly3

« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2012, 05:16:09 pm »
Chinisse Metese.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2012, 11:16:23 am »
Yet another Micro Metisse engine swap....this one's got Honda XL185 power.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:20:19 am by firko »