Author Topic: Rickman Metisse CZ project  (Read 37830 times)

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Rickman Metisse CZ project
« on: December 11, 2011, 10:46:39 pm »
Hey Guys

This years summer project started a few years ago then all those Ossa got in the way

Plan B is along with Tossa rickman ??

Metisse Frame
CZ 4 speed early 250cc straight fin motor
Betor forks
Ossa Phantom wheels or Husky/CZ
Tank ???
Have all the f/glass apart from a tank

What model tank will fit this frame looks to be two rear pin mount

Cheers

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Rickman Metisse CZ project
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 11:09:17 pm »
Murray is that the Montessa frame the cradle is different to mine.  PM'd you details regarding tank
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 11:11:29 pm »
There's not much that'll fit the little Micro Metisse frame or your Rickman Monty frame other than the standard steel tank or a set of Flower Pot Bens Mk3 repro tanks made specifically for the frame. The problem is the twin top tubes being too wide for most tank tunnels made for single top tube frames. Even full sized Mk3 & Mk4 tanks (too big) or Bultaco Petite Metisse ( bottom "sump'' on tank won't fit between top rails) miss out. I've tried a lot of different tanks and ended up purchasing a set of Bens Mk3 style f/glass for my own Micro Metisse project.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:15:15 pm »
I've sent Murray Bens email.  he's recommended a Mk4 tank for my project
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:47:53 pm »
Tossa/Firko

The early mk3 tank Ben made for you is it f/glass or metal with the rear mount pins fitted

The alloy tt Tank is a close fit tunnel wise but would need mounts made and panelbeat to shape to get it lower on the frame

Tossa your tank is being made to your frame specs NEW
The frame is a Montesa single downtube your twin rail frame  would suit a Ossa motor  ;D

The tanks on USA ebay never come up with the right rear  mount
 :-\

Thanks

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 11:52:00 pm »
The early mk3 tank Ben made for you is it f/glass or metal with the rear mount pins fitted
They're fibreglass Murray....and gorgeous but I'm not sure what you mean by rear pins. I'll post photos tomorrow.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 12:26:04 pm »

Hey Firko

This photo of the the round rear mounting of  something which to me are for the tank with the front top mounting I could be wrong never seen under side of the real Montesa tank

Thanks for following this up

Cheers

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 12:46:59 pm »
Those mounts aren't on my frame. It's a Zundapp version.

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 01:24:53 pm »
Looks like the two round mount are for the Tank

Photo is Rickman Montesa anybody out there have a tank to suit this model

Cheers

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 10:03:23 am »
evening all. 

That frame is a Montessa Metisse.  You can get lots in there.  A unit Triumph will go in nicely if you hav ethe time, skill and know how.  I have pics of one that late great Pat French did (Mojo helped him, infact I think Mark did the work....)

The pins are two steel rods that point out from the back of the tank and locate into the holes.  The plate is brazed in place on some frames and bolted on in others.  A tank with no pins should fit fine.  That type of tank is held in place by the seat base, the pins give better location, you can see why they did it to stop the tank riding up at the back.

Either tank will fit.

I have steel both types if reqd, but they are readily available on ebay autos in America.

Beautiful alloy ones are available (made by craftsmen and priced accordingly)

The MK4 fibreglass tank will fit that frame and new ones are made to order (Barry, spoke to THE man today, news update to follow)

You can also fit the MK3 style tank with the later underside (special mould has been made to do this) to allow it to go over the frame rails and instantly make the bike look like the earlier versions. 

I think that covers it ~ all the bases are covered!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 11:03:57 am »
That frame is a Montessa Metisse.  You can get lots in there.  A unit Triumph will go in nicely if you have the time, skill and know how.  I have pics of one that late great Pat French did (Mojo helped him, infact I think Mark did the work....)
I bought a Rickman Montesa frame specifically to fit an XL Honda 350 engine but once I had it on the bench it became pretty obvious that the Honda lump wouldn't fit without a lot of intrusive surgery. The problem with the Honda engine fitting is there being no room for the sump. To make it fit so the crank/drive sprocket centre line is parallel with the swing arm pivot the whole bottom cradle would have to be lowered or/ removed all together and use the engine as a stressed member (not ideal on a motocrosser). I'm guessing that most wet sump 4 strokes will have the same problem but can see the possibility of perhaps a unit BSA or T100R Triumph going in with less surgery.

As far as fitting non Montesa 2 strokes, it comes down to the engine having to have a side exhaust port to clear the single downtube and the engine be no larger in overall length than the original Monty motor. The CZ seems to be a good choice and I know that a TM400 motor will fit with ease.

It's kind of ironic that the twin downtube Zundapp Micro frame has a much larger frame cradle than it's "bigger" 250 Montesa brother. You can fit just about every centre port two stroke (although minor case 'trimming' is needed to fit a Maico engine)...that's why, after much thought I've decided that was not something I wanted to do to one of my beloved square barrel motors so it's to be replaced with the Cooper 250 motor mentioned elsewhere on the forum. I've seen engines ranging from Triumph 500 down to the little SL125 Honda (Ugly Betty) and they all look comfortable in there. I doubt that Derek and Don Rickman ever envisioned their little frames to be homes for such a diverse selection of motors but I think they'd thoroughly approve ;D.

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 11:22:50 pm »
Ben/Firko

This Forum at its best  suppling the correct infro not only to me but to all world wide on the rare  Metisse models

And to make those oneoff specials we all love

Cheers

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 10:57:47 am »
Here's a nice example of yet another Rickman Zundapp conversion....this time using a BSA B25 motor as seen on Marks Swapmeet this morning http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/largephoto.cgi?C=bDSQ2bUS5UuPFVCe&w=2.

Theses little bikes can be quite addictive, another forum member has been in touch telling me that he's recently bought a Micro Metisse and hopes to fit a Husky 250 motor. (although I can see exhaust clearance problems with that particular choice)

I keep changing my mind on mine...I started with the intention of fitting one of my beloved DT1 engines but soon moved over to liking the look of the square barrel Maico sitting in there. Unfortunately the Maico engine cases need a bit of trimming to make the swap feasible and I'm not very keen on cutting up a hard to find Squarie motor so..........the latest candidate is my Cooper-Moto Islo 250 engine for no other reasons than 1: It fits like a cock in a sock, 2: It's just weird enough to satisfy my sense of humour and 3: My Cooper motor is complete, in perfect condition and hot to trot.
Here's the Micro Beeza

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:00:50 am by firko »

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 01:20:33 pm »
will get tank over to you next week murray

Barry
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 05:07:06 pm »
Here's a shot of Jonesy's 'Ugly Betty' Rickman Zundapp SL125 Honda. Kevlar Kompound CD6.

The Honda SL125 swap is one of the more popular using the Micro frame.....here's another one.