Author Topic: Any contacts for vegetable oil?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Any contacts for vegetable oil?
« on: December 04, 2011, 09:07:52 pm »
Hey Guy's,

At Broadford today the natural terrain track was so dusty, and the bulldust was NO FUN to ride on.  I've come up with this idea, I want to put vegetable oil down to keep the dust under control and give the bulldust some 'body'.  I figure that vegetable oil would be epa friendly and ex cooking oil would be free or quite cheap (if the bio-fuel guys don't snap it up).

Do any of you know where I can get about a 1000 litres of any kind of vegetable oil (be it Canola, peanut, what ever)?

Anyone got any idea's where I could start looking?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Any contacts for vegetable oil?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:54:28 pm »
Great idea and I hate to say it, but I'd assume putting any sort of oil on a track these days is a big no no. Better check it out before you get stuck with 1000 litres of oil or a clean up bill if it gets on the track.   

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 10:04:17 pm »
Hey John, theres plenty of vegetables in Victoria, I know one who lives over the back of the track. ;D....he grows metal objects.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 10:22:22 pm »
There's strict laws regarding oiling a track so I'd be running it past MA and their legal people before you start doing stuff like that. You;re likely to get hammered by the EPA or whater the government department that covers those things is called. On top of that problem, to successfully penetrate the soil enough you'll need hundreds, if not thouands of gallons of the stuff. Lotsa luck finding a supplier.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 07:10:12 am »
I've been doing some research, it seems that there are lots of race tracks & mine's using vege oil because it is environmentally friendly.

Apparently the biggest issue with used cooking oil is the little bits of food in it attracts wildlife.  I'm gunna try Macca's to see if they'll donate their old cooking oil.

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 12:39:03 pm »
John, Down here the local fish and chip shops give away their old cooking oil, most of it ends up as Bio Diesel  ;).     Not sure about Maccas and KFC.     

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 01:55:49 pm »
l is the little bits of food in it attracts wildlife.  I'm gunna try Macca's
Bonus! If it does attract wildlife it'll kill'em too! :D
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 02:28:34 pm »
The only trouble is that we'll all end up smelling like 2 bucks worth of hot chips by the end of the race meeting. ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 02:40:25 pm »
The only trouble is that we'll all end up smelling like 2 bucks worth of hot chips by the end of the race meeting. ;D

...although that is probably a real improvement on how we actually smell...
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 03:29:25 pm »

The price I would pay to ride in loam.  Plus my new white JT gear will get stained :-(

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 04:14:21 pm »
 I don't suppose the smell of fried fish and chips or any oil stains on the bike or gear would be anywhere near as bad as the mess we would be in after riding at Curroo MX track Pokolbin near Cessnock back in the 1970s.  I only have to go near a winery or even think about that track to have my nose again filled with the stench of decaying grape pressings and the thought of how hard if not impossible it was to clean up afterwards.
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 08:31:58 pm »
think the grape got worked into Glenbawn track last year too,did a couple up close track inspections (face plants  ;)),but didn't notice the bookay,(think my palate is insensitised to melot/shiraz etc  ::)), :P
ps don't think Ma ("seen to be green") should be involved!,remember what happened at greenhills,
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:34:04 pm by matcho mick »
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 08:56:18 pm »
ps don't think Ma ("seen to be green") should be involved!,

Accidents do happen ;D  ;)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!