Author Topic: Australian speedway frames.  (Read 8858 times)

Offline Dutch

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Australian speedway frames.
« on: November 29, 2011, 11:13:46 pm »
I know there are Australian build engine's for speedway, MSM / SR 60 / Hejisun / SR4, but are there also Australian made frames for speedway and longtrack.

Offline hagon412

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Australian speedway frames.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:39:11 pm »
Hi Dutch;
My father manufactures and restores short circuit frames to suit most motors and can custom make to suit personal requirements.
Details: P&C Laws automotive engineering SCD (short Circuit Design)
Peter and Col have been racing on and off for 30-40 years, Peter raced at a national level during the mid 70's (see page 30 and onwards on classic dirt track images thread)
Ph: 02 45 781546, ask for Col.

Kris.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:00:00 pm by hagon412 »

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 03:57:57 pm »
G'day Dutch
The only Aussie made frames I can think of were the Paul Sly copies of the Rotrax speedway frames and Don Staffords Alstar slider Dirt track frames , they were closely modeled on Elstar frames, so closely in fact I used one of Don's Alstar diamonds in my Elstar/ JAP 84s after a prang, the only difference being the Alstar diamond had taper roller head stock bearings , the Elstar used bushed pivot.

No doubt there are others, as many Aussies had Hagon copies made and there were a lot of home built Dirt Track specials built in the 60s and 70s, one that comes to mind, in the 60s, is the Philmac Special which used a layed forward motor , it formed the front down tube of the frame, ie a stressed member, cannot for the life of me find a photo of it, I have been trying for a while to track down some info on it?, them, as apparently, according to info I've discovered  about six or seven were built.

Foss
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:11:46 pm by JAP 454 »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 04:48:13 pm »
There were Taylor frames. I had a Taylor set up for an XL350 Honda which I sold to Dingo Dave Dunne.
Jonesy's got an Aussie made Dirtrax 4b JAP and a really nice dirt track frame made by P&R, more famous for their road race frames. They used to be on Victoria rd Ryde. It's got an alloy swingarm, Honda hydraulic forks and cable disc brake on the rear. Alan and I might be doing a joint side project using it and my Cooper/MotoIslo 250 motor. Alan's also got a complete Aussie made SR60...frame, motor and even the hubs are Aussie made.

As an aside....he's got a speedway frame made by esteemed British/American frame maker Rob North that was originally built to house the illfated BSA speedway motor.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:38:16 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Dutch

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:38:00 pm »

The Dirttrax machine was built in Australia in approximately 1966-67 and had been marketed by Bert Kingston (former Halifax Dukes rider circa 1964-65).
The frames were built in Queensland by a chap by the name of Ernie Sues.? They were essentially made for the installation of the MSM (Meirson) motors.
Bert Kingston advises that in fact he was, in his own words, the "Test Pilot" for these machines during 1967-68.? Earlier produced machines had the Meirson pushrod (JAP copy) motor, and the rear frame of the conventional bolt-up Mk.1 Rotrax type.? Later produced bikes had the MSM chain-driven OHC motor fitted and the rear frame was of the loop (JAWA) type, (as on my bike). To the best of Bert's recollection there were probably only about fifteen bikes made, (mine Serial No. 015), making it one of, if not the last made.? My bike, on this information therefore appears to be not totally authentic because of the fitment of a 500cc 4-stud JAP.? (When I came across the bike 6 years ago, it had a 350cc 5-stud motor fitted).
(Information found on the old WORKSHOP site)       Looking for more pics of frames.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:44:20 pm by Dutch »

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:40:39 pm »
Alan's got a Meirson engine so it might be a good idea to combine it with the Dirtrax.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 08:08:51 am »
These four photos may be of interest, the bike caught my eye on a visit to a local Speedway museum

The close up of the engine number shows it as SPJ / MSM and then the serial #, I was told the SPJ prefix denoted Spare JAP

Photos from Ash's Speedway Museum

Foss
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:10:58 am by JAP 454 »

Offline Dutch

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 07:37:08 am »

Here is the SR 60 (Southern Racer)  made by Fred Jolly.
He designed and made the engine, but also made the frame for this bike.

Offline Dutch

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 07:59:27 am »

Some time ago I asked for information about the John Finglas dirttracker, and today a friend (Noel) send me this picture from that machine.
Question, is this a standard Matchless frame.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 09:31:01 am »
errr sorta,can't see the rear (seat)downtube but,(all bloody white in there!!),see where the gearbox plates are,think it's there,the rest is definately late 40's at a guess std rigid m/aj frame,even the front ends all matcho/aj,B52 clutch,SR maggy,through bolted motor,blah blah blah ;D,noice!!, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 10:18:22 am »
Here is the SR 60 (Southern Racer)  made by Fred Jolly.
He designed and made the engine, but also made the frame for this bike.
I guess it's no surprise that this is Jonesy's bike. Until his recent injury that'll put him on the sidelines for most of next year, he was intending on doing some Nepean laps on it.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 10:49:44 am »

Some time ago I asked for information about the John Finglas dirttracker, and today a friend (Noel) send me this picture from that machine.
Question, is this a standard Matchless frame.
Looks pretty much all old AMC to me, don't think its a compy, but through bolts are not easy to do on them I found when I tried to do it [ I was only 20 and had a lot to learn] [still do!]
cheers
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 08:41:18 pm »
didja spot the toolbox tank Pancho,(least it wasn't the harder to get d/s one  8)), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!