Author Topic: Songs that take you back?  (Read 12761 times)

Offline Husky70

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Songs that take you back?
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2011, 11:33:03 am »
Saw Steve Winwood here in Auckland a few weeks ago. Unbelievably talented.

TooFastTim

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2011, 11:38:36 am »
In episode 2 a young contemporary blues guitarist (Corey Harris) travels to West Africa in search of the original source of the blues. He had some interesting jams with a traditional performer from Mali that clearly show a connection where they both play some simple Robert Johnson riffs and seamlessly blend into the local rythhms and cord progressions.

Yeah, the connection runs deep. Very deep. I recently discovered a group called Afro Celt Sound System:

"The inspiration behind the project dates back to 1991, when Simon Emmerson, a Grammy Award-nominated British producer who would become the group's guitarist, collaborated with Afro-pop star Baaba Maal. While making an album with Maal in Senegal, Emmerson was struck by the similarity between one African melody and a traditional Irish air. Back in London, Irish musician Davy Spillane told Emmerson about a belief that nomadic Celts lived in Africa or India before they migrated to Western Europe. Whether or not the theory was true, Emmerson was intrigued by the two countries' musical affinities."

From Wki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro_Celt_Sound_System)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2011, 11:45:27 am »
Irish music has long been called 'white mans blues' not so much for the rythmic similarity but for the passion and subject matter. The poor Irish were treated like black American slaves and in both situations the music became the 'cure' to their shitty lives.
 Van Morrison once affectionately called the potato famine era Irish 'White Niggers'. :o
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

TooFastTim

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2011, 11:54:11 am »
What was that line in "The commitments"?

"Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud."

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2011, 12:10:32 pm »
Van Morrison I believe while still with Them did a briliant version of baby Please Don't Go
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

TooFastTim

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2011, 12:31:49 pm »
Van Morrison I believe while still with Them did a briliant version of baby Please Don't Go

Can't say I've heard it  ::)

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2011, 12:54:48 pm »
Van Morrison and ThemThe band Them, fronted by Van Morrison, released "Baby, Please Don't Go" as the A side of a single in late 1964. Boosted by the B side, a ditty entitled "Gloria", the single became their first hit, reaching No. 10 on the UK Singles Chart
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2011, 12:58:40 pm »
On rythm guitar a bloke by the name of jimmy Page
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2011, 01:32:59 pm »
thin lizzy:bad reputation johnny the fox,rose tattoo bad boy for love,the butcher and fast eddy;rush tom sawyer;steve miller band jet airliner ,fly like an eagle;boston more than a feeling;early rolling stones,anything by the jam,the cure,siouxsie and the banshees,the clash,cream,hendrix led zep esp battle of evermore.acdc midnight oil inxs all.Heart...ah those Wilson sisters magic man,blondie rapture,queen remember that filmclip with all the naked girls riding around the velodrome(could you do that today?),santana oyo como va!clapton and marley I shot the sherriff,beatles did they ever do a bad song?....etc

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2011, 02:00:59 pm »
Phil Lynnot and the brilliant blues of gary moore
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2011, 02:56:38 pm »
Phil Lynnot and the brilliant blues of gary moore
Two great Irish rockers both played in Thin Lizzie...both unfortunately dead. Another great Irish guitarist was the late, great Rory Gallagher, I saw him at a gig at Paddington Town Hall supported by a Welsh band called Man. Rory played the Taffies off the stage. A few years later I saw him play the famous old Golden Bear in Huntington Beach California and once again he blew the house down. His Bullfrog Blues is a blues rock classichttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Jaodra7AY

Pound for pound Ireland has produced more good rock bands than nearly any other country. Another couple of my favourites were Hothouse Flowers and the Waterboys and who could forget those wild and wacky Pogues?
However, for pure traditional musicianship it's hard to go past the legendary Chieftans who've been together for over 40 years. They don't have a lead singer but have reached such a status that people trip over themselves to do a gig with them. Here's Van Morrison playing with them on the traditional standard 'Star of County Down'.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GbdB7PlGtc
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2011, 03:17:54 pm »
Ah the mighty pouges,played on Firkos stereo coming home from C/D, from that great green emarald isle (did they not just play rugby againt australia recently)
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2011, 07:33:37 pm »
  The Pogues " Dirty Old Town " love it
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline DOK

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2011, 07:35:09 am »
I was looking through some old music sites and thought I might check up on an old band I used to like.
Jethro Tull
Lead singer and founding member Ian Anderson is an interesting fellow has never had a drivers licence but does own a few off road race bikes.
Likes to go for a blast around his farm in country England.
Doesn't say if vintage or modern.
Wonder if he would be interested in going to a CD?

DOK

TooFastTim

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2011, 08:01:58 am »
Lead singer and founding member Ian Anderson is an interesting fellow has never had a drivers licence but does own a few off road race bikes.
Likes to go for a blast around his farm in country England.

Anderson is a trials nutter. Not a competitor but he is, apparently, very knowledgable about the sport. I did a bit of research into this a while ago and it is true.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/32865-ian-anderson/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:09:16 am by TooFastTim »