Author Topic: Classic Dirt Bike Issue 21  (Read 6032 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Classic Dirt Bike Issue 21
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:39:36 am »
Recieved my latest issue last week and had a little read. It is certainly different in content from VMX with a lot of the issue devoted to trials and Vinduro..... Vinduro seems to have really taken in Pomgolia.

There was a nice enduro version C&J 500 and pommy version KDX175 ( Steel tanker) .... but CDB is an acquired taste and may not please everyone. But like anything VMX still worth a read/
formerly Marc.com

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Classic Dirt Bike Issue 21
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 12:23:23 pm »
My problem with CDB is that they don't get into the nitty gritty of what makes a particular bike tick...what parts went into its creation. The Goldy scramblers article in #21 is a classic example of skimming the surface of the bikes but missing their heart. Don't start me on their piece of shit Bombardier / Can-Am project bike too. What a piece of shit. ::)

Having said that, I've just renewed my sub, as Marc says  it's "still worth a read "

'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

TM BILL

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 12:56:49 pm »
Recieved my latest issue last week and had a little read. It is certainly different in content from VMX with a lot of the issue devoted to trials and Vinduro..... Vinduro seems to have really taken in Pomgolia.

There was a nice enduro version C&J 500 and pommy version KDX175 ( Steel tanker) .... but CDB is an acquired taste and may not please everyone. But like anything VMX still worth a read/

Hey Marc what shape is that KDX tank , is it like a KL 250?
A fat kid up the road had one when we were teenagers and it was the Coolest bike on the street. We had DT 175s and PEs but that KDX was the Dogs  Bollix . I thought the tanks were aluminium and shaped like a factory SR of the era , but its probably more likley a KL tank  ::) i do think they looked cooler than the plastic tank versions though. Dont remember there being many of them around in the south  where i grew up , only old lard arses bike . His name was Mark and his dad drove the coke van (just in case hes reading this  :D )

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 01:17:41 pm »
Hey Marc what shape is that KDX tank , is it like a KL 250?

Looks like the later KL tank, has the same seams on the side. Its not a bad looking thing, especially compared to the seat cover on the bike. Then there was the articles on the Goris ..... they looked pretty gory  ::).... CBD seems happy to put some pretty rough as nails in the mag, and of course Rod Spry always gets a mention.
formerly Marc.com

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 01:32:32 pm »
…and of course Rod Spry always gets a mention.

A poor mans GMC  :D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 02:39:16 pm »
  My pick for "best of british" is tested in issue 4, pg 76- Mick Bennett's Methanol burnin' 500cc B44 "the Million Dollar Baby" the bike that won the 2006 British Scrambles Championship with Piers Dowell on board  :-* Sweeeettt !!! VMX and CDB are the only mags i buy anymore IMO they compliment each other ;)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 08:07:40 am »
  My pick for "best of british" is tested in issue 4, pg 76- Mick Bennett's Methanol burnin' 500cc B44 "the Million Dollar Baby"

Yeah I love that bike, the attention to detail is stellar and not surprised it could win a national champs. B44 with the right bits has to be the ultimate pre 65 bike. I like the touch of the channeled and sectioned B44 tank so you can slide up front much easier.

I was talking to Mark at PES, great guy, he was giving me some numbers for building one of those engines and was realistic about what he recommended. Putting PES  clutch in my own B44 motor for my Cheney, the PES gearbox mainshaft is much better material and gives the option of running 4 speeds fairly reliably. Carillo rod and alpha big end, Omega B50 piston and liner.
formerly Marc.com

crankpin

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:57:16 am »

I almost went on a wine fueled rant at this, but then read your signature...  ::)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 10:10:27 am »
I like that the Brits can drag out some really odd chassis stuff..... Hagon, JBR Honda, various Ribi Cheneys, after market frame building is a very British pursuit.
formerly Marc.com

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 01:06:58 pm »

I almost went on a wine fueled rant at this, but then read your signature...  ::)

Just a small dig at our old colonial masters... I can see a GMC - Spry grudge match...  :D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

crankpin

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 07:16:26 pm »

A 'resto off'  :D

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 09:50:38 am »
Looks like the later KL tank, has the same seams on the side. Its not a bad looking thing, especially compared to the seat cover on the bike. Then there was the articles on the Goris ..... they looked pretty gory  ::).... CBD seems happy to put some pretty rough as nails in the mag, and of course Rod Spry always gets a mention.
[/quote]

Marc / Bill ....... yes, the tanks is the same shape as the KL250. Not the same mountings though. It is also the same shape as the KE125 and the KLX250 A and B models here in the UK. I know cos I spent ages trying to find a new one for my KLX. In the end I found a NOS KE125 tank from Cradley for £50. I ground off the old mountings, fabricated copies of the KLX one and weld them on. The original Kwaka paint was crap, so Crankpin has done it properly.
I remember seeing my first KDX175 at an enduro in the early 80's. Seemed light years ahead of anything else at the time. A bit like the Gori's when they came out. We used to call them a "cat with a broken back". Wouldn't mind one now !
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 11:57:45 am »
I remember seeing my first KDX175 at an enduro in the early 80's. Seemed light years ahead of anything else at the time.

Yep I would say it was IMHO ..... Uni Trak worked much better than horror $10 shocks on the PE175 and the motor was much gruntier than the PE..... the KDX didn't have the unique handling of monoshock Yamahas so I would say it was the winner. Plus the KDX looked a hell of a lot like Trevor Williams factory SR420... well close enough to pretend.

I think you can still buy a new KDX200 today as have my eye on one for a trail rides. Light and won't give you 4 stroke size repair bills.
formerly Marc.com

TM BILL

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 12:44:29 pm »

Plus the KDX looked a hell of a lot like Trevor Williams factory SR420... well close enough to pretend.

I think so too Marc especially with that metal tank  :)

waits to be shot down by the purist for daring to compare a KDX 175 with a factory SR  :o

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 01:45:32 pm »
waits to be shot down by the purist for daring to compare a KDX 175 with a factory SR  :o

Was that purist or puerile ..... I lose track at times.

Still of a mind that the KDX175 was a better motor than the 200. One of the WA Enduro guys had one in KX125 frame and it used to go like rissoles.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/trevor%20williams/vmx247/myshed004.jpg?o=2
formerly Marc.com