Author Topic: Cost of USA postage  (Read 6607 times)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Cost of USA postage
« on: November 27, 2011, 02:07:26 pm »
I have just got a quote of $48.00 US to post a simple front brake backing plate. I did ask the guy if he used the online postage guide or asked in person at the counter at the post office. It's annoying when they have something you wish to buy at a fair price but then will not help with postage.   
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of USA postage
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 02:18:33 pm »
It's even worse when you ask for it to be sent priority at 3 times the price & then it disappears into fresh air for 2 weeks between leaving the states & arriving in the country  >:(
I was lucky enough to be able to get a new dg muffler & wide footpegs for my 465 sent to my sister in laws a couple of weeks ago which my father in law put in his suitcase saving me heaps on postage

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 02:30:42 pm »
Some things I have paid more than reasonable prices for , Buying a tank direct from Clarke was $50.00 postage which isn't that bad. I have had new DG mufflers posted for $15.00 so I know it can be done.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 03:22:11 pm »
If the backing plate does not weigh over 2lbs, it should cost $18.55 by first class airmail.
Even if he used priority international (tracking) the cost would be $33.60. What can I say
about my fellow countrymen!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 03:33:00 pm »
I have just got a quote of $48.00 US to post a simple front brake backing plate

Thats pretty normal these days. I had one sent a few weeks back that cost that i reckon.

First Class is hopeless at the moment. Packages getting lost and then mysteriously turning up 2 months later.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 04:23:16 pm »
I've noticed that more and more sellers are displaying exorbitant shipping fees to Australia. If I cop one with a higher than usual shipping fee I ask them, like Slakewell did if they're using the online shipping calculator. I then explain that the calculator is almost always wrong and ask if they would kindly get a more accurate fee from the post office. Many sellers are inexperienced at shipping to Australia and aren't aware of the proper costs so they're often glad to be made aware of the shipping calculators blatant inaccuracy. I got a $40 reduction on my recently purchased Webco DT1 head so it's worth the effort. Unfortunately, every now and then you get a seller who doesn't want to play the game and insist that their quote stands. Late last week I bought a pair of '' Baby Haviana" thongs for a 17 month old little girl for Christmas. The thongs were $9 and the seller wanted $28 to ship them to Australia which for two pieces of rubber 3'' long is about 20 bucks past my 'soak it up' limit. I've sent the seller four requests to recheck the shipping fee but to date I've had no answer. You can bet your sweet bippy there'll soon be a 'non payment' message headed my way. ::)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

mainline

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 04:42:10 pm »
I had the same deal last week.
The same type of cz axle from two different sellers both had shipping prices near $50. I asked the same question of both, one came back with a $15 postage fee re-quote. 'Craigorio' wouldn't budge, so they still have the part on their shelf.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 04:44:23 pm »
I have just got a quote of $48.00 US to post a simple front brake backing plate. I did ask the guy if he used the online postage guide or asked in person at the counter at the post office. It's annoying when they have something you wish to buy at a fair price but then will not help with postage.   
Just got a hub and backing plate complete with brake shoes $45.
Then I get a fork slider for $16.
Was thinking different prices from east and west.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 06:44:04 pm »
west coast is cheaper than east coast i usualy dont get things sent air mail unless i am in need of the part asap always 3months with my shipper.much cheaper

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 08:50:40 pm »
  Most of the parts I purchase from the US I ask to have sent using a USPS flat rate box, Small about $14 for up to about 1kg, Med around $45 for up to 10kg.  If the seller wont then I look elsewhere, if it's a hard to find bit and I have to pay unreasonable postage I make sure I check the amount they have actually paid to send it, if they have ripped me off I contact the seller saying, I see you have found a better price on postage and ask for a refund to my paypal account before I leave "feedback".  This advice was given to me a while back by a mate and I have found that most will give a refund rather than recieve bad feedback.  Works for me.
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 09:12:37 pm »
If you got a lot of heavy bulky bits you can get 20lbs sent in the large USPS flat rate box for about $58. Unfortunately the price of that box is creeping up and up. Next year i bet it will hit the $60 mark.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 10:23:20 pm »
Recently had a quote of $220 from Service Honda to ship a tank from Indiana to Oz. The NOS tank was only $230. It's still on their shelf.  :'( :'(

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 11:09:15 pm »
that tank would cost me 60.00 but take 3 months

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 11:41:24 pm »
I've noticed lately aswell that its taking up to a month for stuff to arrive....theres a brand new RM125B front hub in the States for $25...bargain....but he wants $75 to post it...not so bargain....I think there just trying to make a little extra with post charges.....you blokes shouldnt go on about how cheap the parts are over their and then we'ed probably get cheap freight.....they read whats on forums too you know....a good seller/businessman checks out what his product is worth so knows the value....having said that theres plenty of bargains still out there. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 07:34:57 am »
I blame Al Quaida not the sellers, post 911 sea freight disappeared and shipping overseas involved some more steps .... but by and large I find the sellers pretty decent about working with the freight and the calculator.... Craigorio is a good seller... I have bought quite a bit off him, he told me he also loses money off ebays calculator and is running a business and has no time to check each small part....fair enough

USPS is Americas 4th largest employer and employs a lot of disabled and vets and is presently losing money, email killed their mail business so some of that cost comes to parcel post. They are a hell of a lot cheaper than Canada or Royal Mail and I get most things within 3 to 4 days.

formerly Marc.com