Author Topic: DIY Air Box & Filter Ideas for pre 70's Bikes  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Skivi

• Novice
    • View Profile
DIY Air Box & Filter Ideas for pre 70's Bikes
« on: November 19, 2011, 10:17:08 pm »
I have a '52 BSA B33 500 OHV with some Goldstar bits I'm doing up as a dirt tracker like this Matchy, has anyone got any good ideas or information on making a custom Air Box to keep the dust, dirt and rain off an air filter element? -nick

crankpin

Re: DIY Air Box & Filter Ideas for pre 70's Bikes
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 10:31:48 pm »

This type was popular in the 50/60's

mainline

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:22:23 am »
there's a BSA/pursang 250 in VMX mag #21 that has a pretty nifty alloy airbox/oil tank/electrics box. Might be worth digging that issue out for a look

Offline Skivi

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 10:48:34 am »
mainline - according to VMX magazine (link) issue 21 has sold out, if anyone has a copy and access to a scanner or camera i'd be very grateful for some images!

Offline Skivi

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:59:15 am »
i saw one of these pop up on UK eBay some weeks ago, they came on the 54-58 Swingarm Model BSA A7/A10 twins as an option:

seems like a decent compact idea, I think something like this with the perforated/gauze face at the side of the bike (perhaps under the seat) would be ideal so it can suck in cold air but hopefully face backwards slightly to avoid catching crap directly, the tricky part would be mounting some sort of uni-filter foam air filter in there with a seal as that paper job looks woeful at best, I'd probably have the metal box rigidly mounted to the frame and obviously a rubber inlet tract to the carby would be the best option due to the horrible vibes of the bloody motor.

hhrrmmm.

-nick