Author Topic: Fuel tank weeping  (Read 8606 times)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Fuel tank weeping
« on: November 16, 2011, 05:10:54 am »
My CZ tank has developed a weep along the front seam over the weekend, not 100% sure where exactly but the paint has lifted/dissolved in 1 spot
What's the best/cheapest/quickest option for repairing it before the Taupo round of the MrVMX series at the start of the month?

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel tank weeping
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 11:56:55 am »
 Sounds like a steel tank?
 Get somebody who nows what they'e doing [still alive] to oxy weld it.
 I have oxy welded a few in my time without incident BUT you MUST de-fume the tank first.
 DON'T  do it yourself until you've seen somebody else do it properly.
 Tanks that have seams like ridges [like steel gerry cans] that hold fuel residues are particularly hard to de-gas.
 Once I did a 250 XL tank near the bottom edge but the material was subject to vibration I think 'cos after 2 tries it kept splitting so I had to bronze weld it instead to fix it.
cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 12:00:25 pm »
Mate of mine [ still alive ] runs Argoshield through them while he welds them.
As I said he's still alive. ;D
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 12:41:13 pm »
what about filling them with soapy water or sand........ and leave the cap off
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 01:06:00 pm »
  I have oxy welded a few in my time without incident BUT you MUST de-fume the tank first.
 DON'T  do it yourself until you've seen somebody else do it properly.
 cheers pancho
Good advice from Pancho

I've done a few leaky petrol tanks by soldering or brazing after first washing them out with HOT soapy water then connecting them, through the filler aperture with a piece of suitable tubing or whatever , to an exhaust outlet of an  idling over vehicle for about ten minutes or so , I'm still here as well, oh yeah, take the tap out to allow the exhaust fumes to pass through.

BE CAREFULL
Foss
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:11:13 pm by JAP 454 »

Offline eric318

• C-Grade
  • XR500 only
    • View Profile
    • XR500 Only
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 03:32:08 pm »
Or coat the inside with fuel tank liner compound. Have not used it myself yet, but folks with classic cars rave about this stuff.
Check Caswell, Blue Lightning, Kreem etc...
I do only XR500 79-84, preferably tricked
https://www.facebook.com/groups/207461083953032/

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 03:58:36 pm »
PORS
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 05:16:10 pm »
Yep steel tank, I think the front righthand seam above the mount is the culprit
Do you mean POR15 Freaky or is there another product?
Haven't ever used a tank liner before & until this problem it wasn't a consideration as the inside of the tank is clean & rustfree
Will look into what is available locally over the next few days

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 05:40:11 pm »
dont forget after the soapy water and welding swill out with meths and leave to dry out
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline sudman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 05:53:42 pm »
Tony I have solder them before no problem, wash the tank 1st then blow the vac into for hour, have used POR15 before as well it works great kit is about $100 Resto Spares stock it locally.

Cheers
Tony
PE175T,RM175T,C & J XL350 73,C&J XL350 75

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 05:55:59 pm »
If the tank does not need re painting then i would use RED-WHITE-BLUE tank liner kit. It will fix it for good. Would be a shame to weld and then have to repaint the tank if it did not need it.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 07:04:43 pm »
do not run  petrol engine fumes through a tank! i had one explode. it has to be a diesel engine. runnings diesel fumes through a tank for a few hrs first is what they taught us at mechanic school 30 yrs ago.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 07:11:05 pm »
do not run  petrol engine fumes through a tank! i had one explode. it has to be a diesel engine. runnings diesel fumes through a tank for a few hrs first is what they taught us at mechanic school 30 yrs ago.

You are  right, Kenny,
I forgot to include that to my post, the length of time is a moot point as I have had no problems with shorter periods, however better safe than sorry !!!
Foss

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 11:42:10 pm »
shite,diesel!!,geezas nobody told me!  :o,i always left the car running with large hose into the tank whilst i welded,was more concerned with gassing self,than exploding tanks  ::), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 08:30:26 am »
I’m not a big fan of these liner kits. They can be great for fixing small holes but I feel they don’t offer any structural strength. So if the tank is splitting at the seams it may need the strength of a weld to keep it from cracking further.
The main reason I hate the likes of chemical liners is that it make it nigh impossible to weld afterwards as the liner material will keep trying to come up into the weld causing porosity in the weld.

There are some ‘chewing gum’ type fuel tank repair kits around that may be a good fix until you can find a welder brave enough, if the crack in the seam looks like it might need to be structurally repaired. I generally hate these too as they can be hard to get out of the little nooks and crannys before welding, but at least on the outside of the tank it can be done.

If soldering be aware that if you use a soldering iron that has a gas torch mounted behind it the gas torch may set off an explosion.

I’m not so sure about running engine fumes for hours before welding as the purpose of the fumes is to take away the oxygen which will stop any explosion. Run it long enough to completely fill the tank with fumes.
As for the petrol / diesel thing, it may be that if  petrol engine is running rich then it will fill the tank with more combustible material.

Still alive, just,
A repeat post from somewhere else on here…

I have welded many alloy tanks over the years, without a problem, the alloy doesn’t seem to hold the fumes like steel tanks and as it doesn’t glow when welding it has no ignition source.
But steel tanks, that’s another story. I had welded a couple successfully by filling them with water but this can cause dramas too.

You can’t weld when the water backs onto the weld area as you can’t create a decent weld pool, so you need to leave a small air pocket in the weld zone. This worked okay a couple of times but then quite a few years back now I was asked to weld up a small crack in a seem of a stainless steel boat tank. No problem I thought. I filled it full of water, left a small air pocket behind the weld area & proceeded to weld.

I was kneeling down at the time, resting my elbow on the tank. I was doing okay and I just had to get the last little bit when wooooooooopppfh.. It seemed like the blast lifted me to my feet and knocked the welding shield off my head. My heartbeat was suddenly elevated to that of a 20-minute moto, although without the burning lungs.
I then had a very real fear of being electrocuted as the 40 litres of water from the tank gushed over the factory floor and headed for every extension lead. I had to quickly pick up the leads out of the way and then grab a broom to divert the water away from other machinery. Some guys from the factory next door came running in to see what the blast was. It didn’t seem that loud to me, I think I must have been in the epicentre.

And the tank, well it was completely rooted. It used to be rectangular but now all six sides were rounded and every seam had a crack in it.
I had to make a new one from scratch.
In hindsight, I realise now that what traces of fuel that was in the tank floated on the water, the welding heated it into fumes in the air pocket and then when it thought I wasn’t looking the ignition source of the weld pool did the rest.
I still weld many alloy tanks but refuse to weld steel tanks now. Life’s too short and I don’t need to speed up the aging process any more than what it already is.

I have heard that you can run a hose from the exhaust of your car into the tank. The fumes taking away any oxygen that a blast needs. It would confuse the Coroner though, wondering why you suicided in your workshop with your welder running.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/