Author Topic: 11 November  (Read 3487 times)

TooFastTim

11 November
« on: November 11, 2011, 08:46:42 am »
“I saw a boy marching, with medals on his chest,
He marched alongside Soldiers, marching six abreast,
He knew it was Remembrance Day, he walked along with pride,
And did his best to keep in step with the soldiers by his side.

And when the march was over the boy looked rather tired.
A soldier said. “Whose medals son?” to which the boy replied„
“They belong to my Dad, but he didn’t come back.
He died out in Afghanistan , up on a Helmand Track”.

The boy looked rather sad, and a tear came to his eye,
But the soldier said, “Don’t worry son, I’ll tell you why,”
He said, “Your dad marched with us today, all the bloomin way,
All us soldiers knew he was here, it’s like that on Remembrance Day.”

The boy looked rather puzzled he didn’t understand
But the soldier went on talking, and started to wave his hand,
“For this great land we live in, there’s a price we have to pay,
To keep our Country free, and fly our flag today.

Yes we all love fun and merriment in this country where we live,
But the price was that some soldier his precious life must give,
For you to go to school, my son, and worship God at will.
Somebody had to pay the price, so our soldiers paid the bill.

Your dad died for us my son, for all things good and true.
And I hope you can understand these words I’ve said to you”.
The boy looked up at the soldier and after a little while,
His face changed expression, and he said with a beautiful smile,

“I know my dad marched here today, this our Remembrance Day,
I know he did, I know he did, all the bloomin way!”

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 11 November
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 10:35:40 am »
 I printed a copy
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:44:10 am »
lest we forget
rip all fallen diggers
i am lucky to still have my dad from ww2 and will be retracing his footsteps at normandy 6th june 2012 including the ferry ride from portsmith
jim

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:46:40 am »

On our trip home across the long paddock from the Classic National Crystal Brook South Aust we purchased a story book:
Bryce Courtney's
Smokey Joes Cafe
Very sobering and very teary,mates forever.
Rest In Peace ANZAC's and All War Patrons.
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 11:07:22 am »
And there still smilling.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

mx250

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 11:22:39 am »
Thanks Tim,

That's a great poem. So true and get not too soppy. Thank again.

Curly3

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 11:33:23 am »
They were made of sterner stuff back then, they're lifes real heroes.
Lest we forget to all soldiers from all countries.

mx250

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 11:50:25 am »

On our trip home across the long paddock from the Classic National Crystal Brook South Aust we purchased a story book:
Bryce Courtney's
Smokey Joes Cafe
Very sobering and very teary,mates forever.
Rest In Peace ANZAC's and All War Patrons.

That's great Aussie photo isn't it. Captures the hardship and the friendship.

That could be my Dad, or one of several uncles.  Dad went from the Militia to the A.I.F.  and served '39-45.  Stayed in and served Korea, Malaysia and VN.

I wear one of Dad's AIF dog tag on a chain. It's bit of a story but my brother and I found them tiding up Dad's effects. Tony wears one and I wear the other. 

My third given name is Edward after my mother's father. He was a Light Horseman 1914-18 -  did Gallipoli and Palestine.

They were two great and heroic generations of Australians.  There's hardly a day that goes by that I don't think of them and be thankful and inspired by them (as men rather than specifically as soldier/heroes).

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 12:20:26 pm »
I'm currently reading Peter FitzSimons 'Tobruk' after reading his 'Gallipoli' last year, both books bringing home how bloody tough it was in the battlefield. The books should be essential reading for all Aussie high school kids, if only to teach them of the sacrifices their grandfathers made to help maintain the peaceful Australia we all take for granted today. I don't agree that our soldiers were made of sterner stuff back then, whether it be in Gallipoli, Tobruk, Korea, Vietnam or Afghanistan, our diggers were simply doing the job their country asked of them. Today's Aussie digger is made of the same stern, brave stuff as their forefathers, it's a part of our national DNA.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:43:33 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 12:50:51 pm »
God bless the diggers...

But on a lighter note, my childhood dog "Fred" was a war hero as well...

It is a long and involved story that features my father in Vietnam, Malcom Frazer and the Australian Embassy in Vietnam. He [Fred] is a decorated war hero honoured at the War Memorial in Canberra. We couldn't believe it when my sister unearthed the story - one of great service and mateship in the best tradition of our fine country.

And he was a great family friend as well.

VMX42

…and please I mean no disrespect to our diggers by mentioning this story, I just thought somebody might be interested.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 01:04:36 pm »
Lest we forget.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

IT400C

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 01:27:54 pm »
I'm currently reading Peter FitzSimons 'Tobruk' after reading his 'Gallipoli' last year, both books bringing home how bloody tough it was in the battlefield. The books should be essential reading for all Aussie high school kids, if only to teach them of the sacrifices their grandfathers made to help maintain the peaceful Australia we all take for granted today. I don't agree that our soldiers were made of sterner stuff back then, whether it be in Gallipoli, Tobruk, Korea, Vietnam or Afghanistan, our diggers were simply doing the job their country asked of them. Today's Aussie digger is made of the same stern, brave stuff as their forefathers, it's a part of our national DNA.

Yup, reading 'Tobruk' was quite a sobering, thought provoking experience for me..  My Grandfather fought there, and imagining him going through the things described in the book was a real eye opener... 

He never spoke about it, except for one random comment.. 

"Those bloody Stukas always felt like they were coming straight at you"

He was badly wounded at Tobrk, and recieved a medical discharge after 12 months in hospital and rehabilitation.

Funny, I look at his "Infantry Front Line Service" Medal differently now.

(Barney Lyne, Corporal, 2/12 Battalion)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:20:36 am by IT400C »

mx250

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 02:04:39 pm »
I haven't read Fitzsimons Tobruk but I read in Weary Dunlop bio that the Australian surgeons operating dug into caves in the sea cliffs of Tobruk were literally world class surgeons (including himself). Again it was a reflection on that generation - everyone volunteered and did 'their bit'. These surgeons, including Weary, could have excused themselves and stayed safe back home (or in Harley Street London as Weary was).

In Weary's bio he named names of the surgeons involved and their specialties - burns, eye, etc. They were world leading surgeons of the day (including Weary who was a world leading world class Cancer surgeon). I'm am please to say they gave their long hours, service and expertise equally to all comers, Australian, Brit, German, Italian and Arab.  Again, typical of these men and the generation. It is as they were in life as much as they were in war.

With the world facing such problems as we are maybe we should reflect on and be inspired by their egalitarian and altruistic motives as much as their sacrifice and service.

IT400C

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 02:22:21 pm »
A couple of years ago I downloaded my Grandfathers units records from the war memorial site.

I knew he'd been at Tobruk, but I never knew they'd been in the UK during the Battle of Britain.  I'm guessing against the threatened invasion of the UK.

The records contain quite a few notations about being strafed during training manoeuvres in Scotland.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 02:33:41 pm »
This is a citation that accompanied the Military Cross awarded to my grandfather, Owen John Rowland, Captain in the 12th Light Horse Regiment.

'On 8th October 1918, near Montbrehain, he went out in charge of a mounted patrol, carried out an excellent reconnaissance under heavy fire, and brought back valuable reports. Later, he observed for his battery for two hours from the front line shooting in support of the attacking cavalry, and putting out of action a persistent 4.2 battery and nest of machine guns. Throughout the day he displayed great gallantry and marked ability.'
Source: 'Commonwealth Gazette' No. 129
Date: 20 November 1919

He went on to re-enlist for WW2. He was a tough old nut. First grade cricketer, first grade rugby player and the heavyweight boxing champion of his division in the army. No mean feat consdiering there were roughly 20,000 men in the division. I have his medals and sporting trophies at home.

My father was a Flight Sergeant with the RAAF for the duration of WW2.
I have a photo of the two of them meeting up in London in 1945.

Good day for me to remember what they did for us.