Author Topic: Oh hell yes! New Ossa enduro bike!  (Read 16401 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Oh hell yes! New Ossa enduro bike!
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2011, 07:24:37 pm »
YZ250 is a seven year old MX bike, with a ~$10k recommended retail, even if they're 'always' discounted.

The Ossa's Ohlins are the top spec stuff.

$14k isn't out of the question at all - GasGas had no trouble selling all of the $15k Nambotin replicas they could get their hands on.

That said, the cheaper they are, the more likely it is that I'll buy one...

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2011, 08:11:11 pm »
Reports are saying the Bimota is a in house engine. Annoraks will note the model designation BB300 which means Bimota/Bimota frame and engine like DB 1, KB1, SB6 and YB5. 

Bimota have used BB..1 before for the BMW/Rotax, so BMW engine/Bimota frame ..... so they have snatched the engine that powers Husqvarna.... shuffled it up the road and built their own work of art around it.

More accurate would be Kymco Bimota but KB has already been used. Only Bimota engined Bimota was the V Due and at the moment I would seriously doubt they have the loot for their own engine development, I think they are still paying off the V Due fiasco.
formerly Marc.com

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2011, 08:23:01 pm »
Don't assume that Ohlins are always top spec. You only get what the manufacturer of the bike can afford to put on. The TM's from the mid 2000's only had budget ohlins fitted, the forks did not even have a propper base valve in them but having ohlins was a major selling point used by TM dealers, even if they didn't work as good as the jap stuff.
As far as paying 12 to 14k for a 2 stroke you would have to be crazy. I like the look of the ossa but a couple of months ago I bought a 2011 CRF450 for $8900 brand new ( I always buy run out models as you save a fortune). If the ossa was a realistic price I might consider it. No bike costing 4 to 5k more than a jap bike is 4 to 5k better. I know most on this forum do not like 4 strokes. But they are really good bikes with a powerband far wider than any 2 stroke, 500's included. I enjoy riding 2 strokes as well, but I love my 4 strokes better. This is my opinion and every one is welcome to their own opinion.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2011, 08:50:04 pm »
Reports are saying the Bimota is a in house engine. Annoraks will note the model designation BB300 which means Bimota/Bimota frame and engine like DB 1, KB1, SB6 and YB5. 

Bimota have used BB..1 before for the BMW/Rotax, so BMW engine/Bimota frame ..... so they have snatched the engine that powers Husqvarna.... shuffled it up the road and built their own work of art around it.

That's what Bimota have always done. The whole shebang is a rebadged JTG Enduro engine/frame(yet to be released).

Yeah but anyone could buy a CRF crapper. Euro bikes are not mass market, and history has proved many times over the show room UJM is a million miles from the bikes raced by pro's.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2011, 09:54:09 pm »
Don't assume that Ohlins are always top spec. You only get what the manufacturer of the bike can afford to put on. The TM's from the mid 2000's only had budget ohlins fitted, the forks did not even have a propper base valve in them but having ohlins was a major selling point used by TM dealers, even if they didn't work as good as the jap stuff.

Indeed, but the stuff on the Ossa prototype is the sexy stuff.

CRFs haven't been updated for a long time (five years?) and are budget priced to keep them selling.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2011, 12:14:33 am »
CRFs haven't been updated for a long time (five years?) and are budget priced to keep them selling.

Yep well Honda have been royally screwed with the flooding in Thailand this year so doubt there will be too much R&D to throw at the CRF.... expect bold new graphics.

The Japanese have a problem, their bikes at full retail have the same sticker prices as KTM, Husky etc and are starting to look, apart from the Yamaha pretty dated. BMW, KTM, Triumph, Ducati, Sherco etc etc just are chewing them up and spitting them out..... of course GFC 2 may have an impact on it all. The Euros are producing market driven bikes like the KTM Freeride, 350EXC, Ossa where Japan still is producing .... well nothing special especially if you are shopping for an enduro or trail bike.
formerly Marc.com

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2011, 09:36:41 am »
Being in the Lucky Country and being sooo wealthy, we will be more isolated from the termoil the rest of the world is currently suffering.
If we here are having second thoughts about buying new 'toys' for 10 or 15k how do you think the Frogs, Itis and Spaniards are feeling. (It will be interesting to see the entry for the Dakar this year)

Seems a pity that the resurgance of one of the sports great names comes at a time of such doom and gloom-maybe they will quickly follow their forebares......

The Japanese must be shitting in their shoes right now and the R&D depts will be spending all their time and money on working out how to make one model suit all players-just as the British were back in the early 70s.
There will be big changes to come.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2011, 09:38:09 am »
may be the Japanese could make a buck out of remaking parts for older models??????  i.e Vintage - now that would be good to see???
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2011, 12:58:18 pm »
The Japanese must be shitting in their shoes right now and the R&D depts will be spending all their time and money on working out how to make one model suit all players-just as the British were back in the early 70s.
There will be big changes to come.

Japanese companies still work the old way Western companies used to, profit making divisions are used to prop up loss making divisions.

Expect the Japanese to fight back on price, companies like Honda are making most of their loot licensing motorcycle designs and name to the third world these days, they have well established production capacity in China, Taiwan, India etc. You can buy a new CRF450 clone out of China now.... so expect a lot more Chinese content in your CRF in the future with keener pricing.

The Husqvarna and BMW 450 engine is made in Taiwan by Kymco.... so I would also expect the Japanese to leverage their low cost country production. As for Husqvarna if I was BMW I would use Italy for R&D and make the whole bike in Taiwan. Bet more and more of it is.

As was mentioned earlier a lot of buyers will grab the CRF at $8900 rather than a Euro bike at $14000. Bet we will see the Euros take another look at their suppliers and pricing as well.

formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2011, 10:18:57 pm »
Latest Transmoto Magazine also has an article on Evil Knievel,Craig Dack and G Ballards new drill !!
Best is in the West !!

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2011, 04:53:16 pm »
The Strong Aus $ should see prices less or level with a few years ago. I like Ossa but 14k would stop me buying one.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2011, 08:02:10 pm »
I like Ossa but 14k would stop me buying one.

Wait 3 years and buy one with 1,000K's on it for $8,000.

Prices for used dirt bikes fall as quick as a dirt bike off a cliff.

Offline Nobby25

• B-Grade
  • Could possibly fit other models?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2011, 12:56:07 pm »
Found this picture, but have no other info :( it said 2012 Maico?
TM125L RM250N TC125L RL250M PE175T RM80C RMX250T ATC70 YZ80B?

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2011, 01:07:51 pm »
I think that is the same as the 2007 Maico, which had its roots in the 2003 Maico. Good to see that they are still being made... but I can't image how many they sell.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

TooFastTim

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2011, 01:53:41 pm »
I do know of one person who has one. The 700cc version too. Mind you he's about 6"5' and about 300 lbs.