Author Topic: Oh hell yes! New Ossa enduro bike!  (Read 16409 times)

mx250

Re: Oh hell yes! New Ossa enduro bike!
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2011, 05:43:00 pm »
Japan has been in a Bad Place economically and with some Government and corporation 'cultural' and structural issues for the past 20 years. I'm surprised things haven't gone 'tits up' for them in the last 20 years. I don't like their chances in the next 20 with their unforgiving arch rival about to cut the ground from under them.

I'll bet there are a few more Olympas size problems lurking and festering in their corporate world.

TooFastTim

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2011, 05:50:47 pm »
That is exactly what I was saying. Back in the 60's the Brits and Euros were just plodding along making the same bikes they had for decades. "It's the way we have always done it, Laddie" - and then along came the Japs and suddenly dodgy electrics and leaky crankcases weren't acceptable. They created 'aspirational brands' by starting with the small capacities [while the Euros laughed saying they could never make a big bike] and they brought their customers with them as they aged [and had more money] and wanted bigger more sophisticated bikes.

Well said. When the supplier tries to dictate to the customer their days are numbered.

I, for one, welcome our new overlords (assuming the entire continent doesn't go belly up in the next few weeks).

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2011, 06:42:24 pm »
For years they could charge higher prices because they were 'the aspirational brand' and a significant number of punters would pay extra to be part of that brand.  There is room for a premium brand, that charges premium prices, but you have to back it up with great, motivated staff - superior service, safety and a real sense of enthusiasm.

For example look at what Steve Jobs did with Apple. When he was brought back into the company computers were seen as just a commodity. A 'beige box' that was the same as every other 'beige box' - and price was sole the determining factor. What he did was build a brand where there was no compromise. From the packaging to the software, the design and functionality of the actual CPU. Nothing was left to chance, everything was optimised and fine tuned - he paid his staff well, was rewarded with loyalty and enthusiasm. All the good, talented employees wanted to work for Apple - it became a snowball with its own momentum. The best, most talented staff wanted to work for the best computer company, which enabled Apple to make even better machines and employ better people [the exact opposite of Mr Joyce and his vision].

The punters could see that this was DIFFERENT from the others and they were prepared to pay more for the privilege of owing one. He fostered this loyalty into one of the biggest corporations in the world. .
always be a market for affordable quality. There is no need to be the cheapest, just be the best and the most innovative [or close to it].

Yep !! thats about what the KTM bloke said about KTM's at the Perth Show,well trained,well mannered & professionalism.  8)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2011, 06:50:15 pm »
Yep !! thats about what the KTM bloke said about KTM's at the Perth Show,well trained,well mannered & professionalism.  8)
cheers A

KTM has quite a different corporate culture than the Japanese, the Japanese want to minimise their contact so they just hand out import deals or dealerships and then let them get on with it. KTM has quite a bit more centralised control on their dealers..... service, presentation, pricing so they look and act like a global network which tends to breed a different level of professionalism and better feedback to the factory.
formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2011, 06:57:57 pm »
cheers A
KTM has quite a different corporate culture than the Japanese, the Japanese want to minimise their contact so they just hand out import deals or dealerships and then let them get on with it. KTM has quite a bit more centralised control on their dealers..... service, presentation, pricing so they look and act like a global network which tends to breed a different level of professionalism and better feedback to the factory.

mmmm...IMO the best team back in the day that I notice most would be Bultaco..very good,clean advertising professionalism.  8)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

TooFastTim

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2011, 07:21:28 pm »
mmmm...IMO the best team back in the day that I notice most would be Bultaco..very good,clean advertising professionalism.  8)
cheers

Bulto were different. My dad told me he was fettling his Sherpa in the cattle market in Edinburgh in readyness for the '67 SSDT and FX Bulto came up to him, addresed him by his first name and asked him what he thought about the bike. Now that's how to win customers.

5 years later my dad was working for FX.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2011, 08:01:13 pm »
I'd exclude Yamaha from that mix. They're not afraid to take a chance. Love it or hate it you have to admire the audacity of the YZF450.

Fully agree the 2011 YZF was a new standard in 4 stroke engines.... Yamaha are a slightly different cup of tea than the others, unlike Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, they are not and automotive, ship builder or bank owners .... they have stuck much more to core business of musical instruments and motorcycles and finally consumer electronics. So as a corporation they still focused on motorcycle production these days, and it reflects in their quality and products.

Japanese industry is a bit where the Brits were when their bike building bit the dust. But not totally, they have moved a lot of companies off shore (China, Thailand), which was inconceivable at one stage, however they are still crazy inflexible as organisations and their labour issues are really built into the system, in so far as the companies provide the social security in the society and not central Government.
The 2010 YZ450 engine is not a new idea.. the 2002 Cannondale had the same setup with the intake at the front and exhaust at the rear and was fuel injected also.
As inovative as you might think the YZ450 to be it's not the best bike out there anyway so change is not always better.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2011, 08:19:41 pm »
Just wondering which way that motor rotates.
Piston thrust on the inlet side of a 2stroke can cause premature wear problems.
I have seen this first hand.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

albrid-3

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2011, 09:24:52 pm »
What sort of dollars will they sell for any idea.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2011, 10:08:44 pm »
Most speculation says ~$14k in Australia.
Closest thing is the GasGas Namtobin Replica which were ~$15k, but are a super-limited edition model from an established brand.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2011, 10:58:15 pm »
Hey Lozza,
What brand of engine is in the Bimota?Looks pretty trick, certainly no restriction on the case reed.
VMX42

Is it rebadged Gas Gas ..... bet the price is thrilling. But Bimota has a long history of pretty good styling and using the best components. Plus they did produce 500 injected 2 stroke twin in the VDue so may know something about 2 strokes..... VDues were mostly converted back to carbs so maybe not that much.

Reports are saying the Bimota is a in house engine. Annoraks will note the model designation BB300 which means Bimota/Bimota frame and engine like DB 1, KB1, SB6 and YB5. 
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2011, 10:30:44 am »
Someone coined the term UJM decades ago (in the 80s IIRC). IMO its been like that ever since.

But lets not detract from that Ossa. It deserves some focus

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2011, 11:31:01 am »
But lets not detract from that Ossa. It deserves some focus

Will the pipe get too hot and melt something ? ,oh well at least GMC wont have to fix the expansion chamber every crash!
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2011, 09:33:01 am »
oh well at least GMC wont have to fix the expansion chamber every crash!

More economic downturn for the future ;D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2011, 03:48:42 pm »
Being a 2 stroke they shouldnt be 14k unless it's top shelf Ohlins forks and shock, Yamaha can still sell YZ 250 for 8k so thats a very big cap
If there under 12k I will have a very serious think about one but 14k for a bike I will ride a few times a year is just to much I can buy a new YZ and a good 490 Maico for the same.   
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle