Author Topic: Aussie Dirt Track websites?  (Read 11409 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Aussie Dirt Track websites?
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:07:51 pm »
Question for all you serious dirt track guys. Is there a sort of 'general' website out there for Aussie DT fans? Maybe something like OzVMX for DT? I know Glenn Kempson used to have Oz Dirt Track Racing back in the mid 2000s, but I haven't seen anything since.

I've been thinking it'd be neat to start up a site for DT like ausvmx.ning.com - that sort of thing would make it possible for riders/clubs to discuss stuff, post photos and videos, have a calendar and so on. At the very least I'd like to see people posting pics of their DT bikes!

What's the opinion?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 08:10:46 pm by Graeme M »

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie Dirt Track websites?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:55:06 pm »
Graeme ,
I think a site as you proposed would be a step in the right direction for modern Dirt Track as the older guys, using this Forum, have an avenue for their pix and meeting reports etc, however a lot of modern info comes from guys like Fotohound, who has a massive DT email list and forwards modern meeting Pix, Supp. Regs meeting reports etc.

Personally , I am very comfortable with the Forum, as it stands, but the Ning style would appeal more to the young'uns.

Anyway, if something along the lines you spoke about gets a guernsey, it could be brought to the attention of the modern competitors through Fotohound, Anything that lifts the profile of Dirt Track has got to be a good thing, DT is a very important training ground for future World Champions, as it has been proved in the past.

Foss

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 06:08:29 am by JAP 454 »

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:56:47 pm »
Yeah, I was more thinking the modern guys rather than vintage because as you say, we have this site. And I wasn't wanting something that someone 'runs' - rather a site that permits riders to develop in their own way. I have no idea if it'd work, but might be worth the experiment. Like I said, at the least it'd be somewhere for people to to show off their bikes or skite about their achievements. I might whip one up and we'll see what happens...

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 10:11:31 pm »
Graeme , being a bit of a Luddite, I know nothing about the set-up, maintainence and running etc of websites, I really don't know whats involved ,however there are quite a few people using Fotohound as a conduit for modern DT info , four mailouts from him today,  that I feel some sort of central point, IE a DT site, would be a good idea .

Did you have a look at the two emails that I forwarded to you ?? , they are a good example of the efforts Trev puts into DT,

Foss

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 11:08:26 pm »
Nooo... I didn't see anything. You can send them to me on my personal email
gmc99 at bigpond.com

I wouldn't like to tread on anyone's toes tho, so happy to have a look at this fotohound's stuff. I'll asume he hasn't got an actual website tho...

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 11:32:12 pm »
Well, for anyone interested, I've knocked one together. It's only in demo mode at present, but feel free to join up and use it. I'll take on board any suggestions, and it'll probably change a bit as I try to get the appearance sorted, but it's not a bad start. Once it's sorted, and provided I am not stepping into someone else's turf, I'll start promoting it in the real world...

http://ozdirttrack.ning.com/

PS - I only have 30 days to get it all working and decide whether or not to go ahead. After that time, I have to pay to keep it going. Of course, if it's good to go then (or even earlier) I'll do that and it will become a real live website.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 11:33:48 pm by Graeme M »

Offline elsie 125

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 06:14:03 am »
thats great graeme, just what  dirt track needs

Offline davidsonclan5

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 07:08:15 am »
Thanks graeme, signed up this morning and ready to start spreading the word
DAVIDSON'S MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
0405 838 583
[email protected]

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 07:20:38 am »

But don't publicise it just yet, it's still got some sorting out to do. I just want a few people from here to join up or have a look and offer some ideas. It's pretty close as it is though, it's more getting the layout, colours, and features right.

Maybe by next week I'll have had time to do what is needed to have it good to go.

Offline DOK

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 07:35:42 am »
Hi Graeme
This is a very popular site with some wonderful technical knowledge which crosses a lot of catagories.
Personally I would love to see the ning site expand to include dirt track, road racing etc new and old with upcoming events race reports basically the same as the current site.
It's really something MA should be doing to bring all motorcyclist together but it seems you have found the correct formula here.
Perhaps negotiations with like minded web masters to bring it all together (no stepping on toes) to one site where you could choose modern/vintage.
Like probably most guys here I have competed across both road and dirt and to be able to go to one place where I could get a fix on everything racing ? well I could see my output at work plummet.

Thanks for linking up people from around the world to contribute to this site
DOK

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 12:03:49 pm »
graeme if you build it we will come.great idea.
will keep an eye on your posting. please tell us if you go ahead with it as could see a couple of sydney clubs using it.
hell they should donate to the cause.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 01:39:15 pm »
I'll do some more to it tonight. I'll enable Groups, which is sort of like a site within a site. Groups allow people to post comments, or run a discussion forum, within a sort of 'separate' part of the main site. It seems to me an option could be for clubs to make use of that, or particular interest groups. To test the waters, I might create an ACTMCC Group for guys that race at Fairbairn with the ACT club.

Still want to get the colours/layout how I want it, and also some work on how people join and complete their profiles.

But yes, in effect, it would be a way for clubs as well as individuals to develop their own presence. The basic Ning package comes with 10Gb storage which means I think that people can post up to about 5000 photos as well as a LOT of discussion/comment etc. The forum in the site will also allow people to post classified ads and attach photos and so on. So it's a good package.

It also allows linking to Twitter and Facebook, if I can figure that out, which I think would work well for the young guys. And there's a few other things like that which I haven't read up on...

Given the enthusiasm, I'll try to get it all done by Monday and that gives us three weeks to put the word out and see if it takes off. If it does, I'll buy it and go from there.

Curly3

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 02:25:59 pm »
Fantastic idea Graeme, this is something I've conemplated setting up for a while but never got around to it, I'm pleased you have.
The difference between a do'er and a gunna.
I think a History section would be good because I'm pretty sure not many of the young guy's coming through today would have much of a clue who the top riders are from the early days or how highly regarded the the sport once was.
I have a few other ideas that I'll pass on and will gladly help out if I can.
VIVA SHORT CIRCUIT
Cheers, Steve

Offline elsie 125

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 05:11:37 pm »
sounds good graeme, ACTMCC Dirt trck club day sunday 19th november, hope you come out and  let the racers no about it, and it will create alot of interest I am sure

Offline steve7406

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 06:08:54 pm »
Great stuff Graeme just joined up how long does it take till i can put up some posts
2000 Yamaha WR400f
1980 Suzuki RM250t
1977 Suzuki RM125b                                         
1975 Yamaha MX250b
1973 Yamaha mx360 (on the rebuild table)                                                               
1972 Yamaha dt1 250
1976 Suzuki ts 185