Author Topic: how many members have usa flattrackers  (Read 17465 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
how many members have usa flattrackers
« on: November 07, 2011, 09:06:40 pm »
hi
who has this kind of bike and what do you think of them
i have a staracer tt500 flattracker

and soon a gen champion cr250m

Curly3

Re: how many members have usa flattrackers
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 09:18:49 pm »
Even though they are basically a U.S. based bike, I think it's a class of bike that will only increase in popularity over here, Nepean Flattrack.
Sadly, at the expense of the Hagon based bikes which is our true heritage.
Flattrackers are easier to ride & more forgiving, for the more mature rider.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 11:22:39 pm »
amen to that slidey  ;D. :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 11:48:34 pm »
NAh its just cause there gearboxed and easy to get parts for, id run a slider but there hard to find, hard to find with a decent 2 stroker, and dont work so well on the smaller flip flop tracks.   I got a few Flat trackers but same issue they dont suit many of our tracks.  the MXers with a trails and decent brakes seem to fit 80% of the track we race better as  most have a stupid right handed braking to a stop corner or too.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Taka 100

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 06:53:56 am »
i dont but if you got a spare bike or rolller  i'll speak cash , they do look like a heap of fun even if you get it registered and go to the cafe' or just a pose run i think pre 70 something? you just have a headlight tail/brake light and you can put them on the road  in nsw. anyone got any idea on that ???

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 07:21:45 am »
I've got my Hindall RT2 360 up and ready to go when I'm up and ready to go and will soon take delivery of my 'Champion' DT1 from the USA. I've also got the temporarily stalled Trackmaster 650 Benelli project and I'm slowly putting together the parts to build my other Trackmaster prototype XS750.

We're also soon to build the Klub Kevlar Kourtesy bike, turning the old VMX TM/TS 250 low buck project bike into an American style flat tracker.

I agree that flat trackers and sliders are compromised on our tracks fitted with right hand corners but with short track class being introduced on Nepeans brilliant quarter mike speedway, the proper flat tracker will have a proper place to play.

Hindall frame, MX250 forks and triple clamps, 19"Akront front wheel/MX250 hub/Carlilse tyre. Rear is stock MX250 wheel w/Mitas trials tyre, Trackmaster tank, Matcho Mick seat/tail, Inter-Am solid alloy bars, DT1 levers/cables, billet Chinese pit-bike throttle, Donkey Dick grips. RT1 bottom end, DT2MX trans, mildly ported RT2 barrel, ACK head, Boyseen reeds, 34mm carb from a T500 Suzuki, Jemco pipe, DT400 CDI /PVL ignition (whichever works best). I'm about to fit a pair of adjustable rake billet triple clamps

Trackmaster frame, 650 Benelli Tornado engine, Yamaha R6 forks, either Yamaha alloy's (shown) or more likely Morris magnesium wheels, 19'' XR750 Harley front, Ex Eddie Lawson Kawasaki superbike 18''rear. This project has stalled for the moment but will resume when the interest comes back. 

The enroute from America 'Champion' DT1. The jury's out as to the frame's manufacturer until it gets here but it's close enough to being a Champion for me. Matcho Mick's currently coating the intended tank for it and I've already built a motor based of the old DT1 from Hell methanol motor.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:59:52 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 07:29:21 am »
Ive got a really big one  :P

formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 07:37:02 am »
I like Storz approach, take a current Sporty and then add tanks, exhaust etc .... now thats a coffee shop bike 8)

formerly Marc.com

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 10:05:19 am »
As cool as those street trackers are Marc, it's not really what Jims asking...I'd hate to be throwing that big bwana around Nepeans speedway track! Even my under construction Benelli would be overkill.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

TM BILL

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 10:26:37 am »
I like Storz approach, take a current Sporty and then add tanks, exhaust etc .... now thats a coffee shop bike 8)

Good as place as any i suppose while waiting for the tow truck to take you home  ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 06:55:54 pm by TM BILL »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 12:26:09 pm »
As cool as those street trackers are Marc, it's not really what Jims asking...I'd hate to be throwing that big bwana around Nepeans speedway track! Even my under construction Benelli would be overkill.

I thought he was talking about getting rego and going out for a coffee .... then you need a Harley or Douche ex Machina bobber snake maybe.
formerly Marc.com

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 12:31:10 pm »
 I think that HD would be great to WATCH going around Nepean flat track [if they ever manage to get at least one big meet a year].
 But the s/c [dirt track] events I like will always have at least one right hander, preferably one slow one and one sweeper.
 I've often noticed that some very good dirt riders can't handle right handers.
 When I first experienced coming off a bike while teaching myself out at the old abandoned Crossroads track I spent equal time specifically on left handers and them coming in the other way.
cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 01:08:39 pm »
Pancho, it not so much the riders are at fault ( although i have seen good Dt ridrs not able to stay upright on the speedway track)but the radius of the corners on the DT tracks dont suit slider lines anymore.  and many track have  these weirdo chicane things or stop and shoot corners, so there a long straight requiring 2 gear changes, and the a stop turn corner, they seem to cut them on an angle which is ok for MX bikes, but dont have the same flow as the slider line.  If it was a Jelly bean - kidney shape would be better, but dont see to much of that. well except Griffith and fairburn park that i can think of.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 05:43:13 pm »
 The thing is Freaky,even though these days I really enjoy riding my hybrid slider [XT powered Elstar] my riding style is more in keeping with handling a swinging arm road bike frame like a duplex Beeza.
 So except when adrenalin's at its peak its slow in fast out! First lap flyer!
 [See my line at the bottom!]
 cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 10:44:26 pm »
Another item on the Nepean agenda is to revive the old half mile long track extention. The top section fell out of use back in 80's or maybe 90's for a lot of reasons, one being the shape of the top corner making entry to the main straight a bit curly..centrifical force tending to push the bike dangerously close to the safety fence. I've been told the top corner is being re designed to make the entrance to the straight more flowing. Once that's fixed....the biggy flat trackers like Phippsy's Shell OW Yamaha 750 and AJ's Nourish Weslake (below) will be right at home.

Jonesy's Redline Nourish Weslake 850

Alans ATK DT500 flat tracker
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 10:48:10 pm by firko »